by VoroneTZ. 04/17/24 06:52
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (vicknick, howardR, sleakz), 674 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea
19048 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Re: BlendELF game engine, video posted on youtube [Re: Cowabanga] #305835
01/17/10 16:53
01/17/10 16:53
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
im getting a really slow framerate on that sphere scene here.

EDIT: forgot to say, other than that, beautiful. its nice that the scene in blender and blendeelf are so close together.

Last edited by lostclimate; 01/17/10 16:55.
Re: BlendELF NEW DEMO!!! [Re: lostclimate] #305870
01/17/10 23:11
01/17/10 23:11
Finland
Ambassador Offline OP
Serious User
Ambassador  Offline OP
Serious User

Finland
@Cowabanga
Intro screen? There are no intro screens! Maybe you mistook the intro demo for an editor? The editor is not in development yet, have to implement some stuff before that...

@lostclimate
Which GPU/CPU?

I got a new demo up of the scene you see in the video! http://blendelf.com/downloads/tommy.zip

Slightly improved(?) site too: http://blendelf.com

Re: BlendELF NEW DEMO!!! [Re: Ambassador] #305873
01/18/10 01:07
01/18/10 01:07
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
Originally Posted By: Ambassador
@Cowabanga
Intro screen? There are no intro screens! Maybe you mistook the intro demo for an editor? The editor is not in development yet, have to implement some stuff before that...

I think he had the same issue as i did for your second demo. there is no way to move the camera (that we couldfind?) so it just looked like a rendered image (possibly a good credit to your fx programming?)

@lostclimate
Which GPU/CPU?

I know the gpu is a geforce 9800 GTX+ that is a little underclocked because I still need to buy a third fan power connector for it (it needs 3 of them!) , but it should run it pretty well.

as far as the cpu goes, its not great, its an intel dual cpu e2180 @ 2.00Ghz.

still, most intense parts of this demo are all gpu intense, and I should be good there.

cant wait to check out the second demo!.

Re: BlendELF NEW DEMO!!! [Re: lostclimate] #305888
01/18/10 07:12
01/18/10 07:12
Finland
Ambassador Offline OP
Serious User
Ambassador  Offline OP
Serious User

Finland
Originally Posted By: lostclimate

I think he had the same issue as i did for your second demo. there is no way to move the camera (that we couldfind?) so it just looked like a rendered image (possibly a good credit to your fx programming?)

If you are talking about the development kit which was previously available then yes, the intro scene didn't feature a moving camera, it was just a kind of a placeholder there, an example to get people started? I guess it wasn't a that good idea then... The current dev kit has the Demo 1 as the intro scene.

I know the gpu is a geforce 9800 GTX+ that is a little underclocked because I still need to buy a third fan power connector for it (it needs 3 of them!) , but it should run it pretty well.

The demos should run more than fine on that card. I'm not sure but sometimes you don't get the full framerate that the card offers because of power management, the card might detect that the work being done atm isn't that intensive for it and slow itself down a bit.

Re: BlendELF NEW DEMO!!! [Re: Ambassador] #305955
01/18/10 17:20
01/18/10 17:20
Earth
Germanunkol Offline
Expert
Germanunkol  Offline
Expert

Earth
61 fps in that tommy demo (I'm guessing it's fps max value is around 60? Why not make a demo without that max setting, to show how fast it really is?)
Beautiful presentation of the engine, awesome. Can't think of anything to make it better.
Model has seams on his wrists, other than that, great!

Anything on collision/movement so far?

Edit: Lua script, OpenGL... even a blender exporter which exports to blendelf? this ROCKS! just what I've been looking for... only thing that keeps it from being my next choice for a game seems to be that it's still in development and I haven't seen any game demos made with it...

Also, these rendering tests are quite nice, but could you also make a demo with lots of things showing at the same time? lots of trees/lots of shadows/lots of characters/lots of buildings... whatever?

And Am I reading the licence correctly: this is free for commercial use? (Apart from these small additions, that are pretty obvious)
If so, how save will it be to plan a game with this? I mean, many of us here are hobby artists, who start a project, get somewhere and then don't have the time to finish it. What I mean: if this is really free, you can't make a living off of it, and you also stated it was mainly for your own portfolio. So how sure can I be that it will continue to improve? Or are you even planning on doing that at all?

Last edited by Germanunkol; 01/18/10 17:34.

~"I never let school interfere with my education"~
-Mark Twain
Re: BlendELF NEW DEMO!!! [Re: Germanunkol] #305962
01/18/10 17:41
01/18/10 17:41
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI

If you are talking about the development kit which was previously available then yes, the intro scene didn't feature a moving camera, it was just a kind of a placeholder there, an example to get people started? I guess it wasn't a that good idea then... The current dev kit has the Demo 1 as the intro scene.

The demos should run more than fine on that card. I'm not sure but sometimes you don't get the full framerate that the card offers because of power management, the card might detect that the work being done atm isn't that intensive for it and slow itself down a bit.

thanks, for the help, and that might be it for the card.
Originally Posted By: Germanunkol
61 fps in that tommy demo (I'm guessing it's fps max value is around 60? Why not make a demo without that max setting, to show how fast it really is?)

I got 85 so thats not its max setting.

Re: BlendELF NEW DEMO!!! [Re: Germanunkol] #306036
01/19/10 07:31
01/19/10 07:31
Finland
Ambassador Offline OP
Serious User
Ambassador  Offline OP
Serious User

Finland
Beautiful presentation of the engine, awesome. Can't think of anything to make it better.
Model has seams on his wrists, other than that, great!

As lostclimate said, 60 fps is not the limit. The engine doesn't turn your vsync off by default so vsync must be the culprit in this case. So many people have been asking me about this that I might just turn it off by default...

Also, these rendering tests are quite nice, but could you also make a demo with lots of things showing at the same time? lots of trees/lots of shadows/lots of characters/lots of buildings... whatever?

Believe me, I'd love to do that, but I just don't have the time at the moment. frown Have to focus on developing the engine and studying at uni.

And Am I reading the licence correctly: this is free for commercial use? (Apart from these small additions, that are pretty obvious)
If so, how save will it be to plan a game with this? I mean, many of us here are hobby artists, who start a project, get somewhere and then don't have the time to finish it. What I mean: if this is really free, you can't make a living off of it, and you also stated it was mainly for your own portfolio. So how sure can I be that it will continue to improve? Or are you even planning on doing that at all?

As the project is still young and not that established, its not that safe to start a project with it, but at least I'm not planing to stop developing it any time soon. And yes the engine is free at the moment.

Last edited by Ambassador; 01/19/10 07:31.
Re: BlendELF NEW DEMO!!! [Re: Ambassador] #306051
01/19/10 10:36
01/19/10 10:36
Earth
Germanunkol Offline
Expert
Germanunkol  Offline
Expert

Earth
If you get that documentation you've been talking about to a state that allows me to understand parts of it, I may try making the many-objects-thingy myself, to see if it works nice. Shouldn't be too hard; placing lots of objects in the scene.

This engine allows to develop on Linux, as well as allowing to export the finished game to a be Linux-Compatible, right?

~"I never let school interfere with my education"~
-Mark Twain
Re: BlendELF NEW DEMO!!! [Re: Germanunkol] #306080
01/19/10 15:18
01/19/10 15:18
Finland
Ambassador Offline OP
Serious User
Ambassador  Offline OP
Serious User

Finland
Yeah it allows both developing on linux/windows and exporting to linux/windows regardless of the development platform. So you can make a linux game on windows and/or a windows game on linux wink.

Re: BlendELF NEW DEMO!!! [Re: Ambassador] #306081
01/19/10 15:20
01/19/10 15:20
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
Is there a OS X release planned?

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de