by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (degenerate_762), 1,098 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
[Advice] Ragdoll, Collisions & Physics #294891
10/21/09 19:15
10/21/09 19:15
United Kingdom
indiGLOW Offline OP
Serious User
indiGLOW  Offline OP
Serious User

United Kingdom
I am in the process of prototypin a new title and would appreciate comments, suggestions and advice about how to approach the issue of character ragdoll, primarily to do with physics (actual or faked) when killing a character.

In other words how to deform the model, handle bone collisions with other models, terrains and so forth. What is the best approach to ensure lower overheads on GPU etc.

I am not looking for someone to script this for me, just some insight into pitfalls, good methodology and so on.

TIA for your input laugh

The Art of Conversation is dead : Discuss
Re: [Advice] Ragdoll, Collisions & Physics [Re: indiGLOW] #294959
10/22/09 08:23
10/22/09 08:23
The Netherlands
Helghast Offline
Expert
Helghast  Offline
Expert

The Netherlands
look at the code I made, i'm making it into a plugin, but havent had time for that lately xD
all those issue's have been solved, all you have to make after that is a proper ragdoll setup for each different character.

send me over an email, i'll send the files to you, it's not that hard, just took me alot of years to figure it all out from scratch tongue hahahaa

regards,

Formerly known as dennis_fantasy
Portfolio - http://www.designorhea.com/
Project - http://randomchance.cherrygames.org/
Re: [Advice] Ragdoll, Collisions & Physics [Re: Helghast] #294980
10/22/09 11:38
10/22/09 11:38
Hummel Offline
Expert
Hummel  Offline
Expert

I´m also interested in these files, can I give you my e-mail too?

Re: [Advice] Ragdoll, Collisions & Physics [Re: Hummel] #294991
10/22/09 12:35
10/22/09 12:35
United Kingdom
indiGLOW Offline OP
Serious User
indiGLOW  Offline OP
Serious User

United Kingdom
Thanks Helghast, I will drop you an email a little later if that's ok?

I've spent a fair amount of time myself working with bones, including rigging up a head to turn and follow players, moving eyes at the correct amount etc. So I am pretty happy that I can write it ,although it sounds like your script might save me some time there, much appreicated.

I am working with 3D Studio max and Biped, so all my bones are named and easily referenced so that shouldn't be to hard to setup.

My questions are really about performance, for example, do you need to run a lot of tracing to get the final rest position or does the bones system support some kind of physics collision? What are the overheads if that is true?

The title I am working on at the moment can have around 30 active agents including up to four players over network / internet, so it would be really good to have an idea how to manage this.

I suspect that ragdoll during death will be client side only, as the final resting position of the model will not be critical, unless they interact with other entities (something I am not planning on at present).

Thanks for sharing, please let me know if you (or anyone else) has any more advice.

Re: [Advice] Ragdoll, Collisions & Physics [Re: indiGLOW] #294995
10/22/09 13:19
10/22/09 13:19
The Netherlands
Helghast Offline
Expert
Helghast  Offline
Expert

The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: indiGLOW
Thanks Helghast, I will drop you an email a little later if that's ok?

Sure wink

I've spent a fair amount of time myself working with bones, including rigging up a head to turn and follow players, moving eyes at the correct amount etc. So I am pretty happy that I can write it ,although it sounds like your script might save me some time there, much appreicated.

Good that definatly helps in setting it up... however it's mroe about setting up the ragdoll physics objects properly.

I am working with 3D Studio max and Biped, so all my bones are named and easily referenced so that shouldn't be to hard to setup.

My questions are really about performance, for example, do you need to run a lot of tracing to get the final rest position or does the bones system support some kind of physics collision? What are the overheads if that is true?

It's physics impacts using ODE (I guess it can be updated for PXent or Newton just as easy), which with alot of collisions does tend to be a bit slow

The title I am working on at the moment can have around 30 active agents including up to four players over network / internet, so it would be really good to have an idea how to manage this.

I suspect that ragdoll during death will be client side only, as the final resting position of the model will not be critical, unless they interact with other entities (something I am not planning on at present).

30 active ragdolls might make a pc go slow... you'll have to pull out some tricks (updating bones only when a certain degree was rotated, and after a certain amount of ragdolls disable earlier ones, etc etc)...

Thanks for sharing, please let me know if you (or anyone else) has any more advice.

it's alot of setting things up properly, but when it's done and working it's definatly worth it, good luck!
you can drop me a line whenever you need some advice.

kind regards,

Formerly known as dennis_fantasy
Portfolio - http://www.designorhea.com/
Project - http://randomchance.cherrygames.org/
Re: [Advice] Ragdoll, Collisions & Physics [Re: Helghast] #294999
10/22/09 13:28
10/22/09 13:28
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
having up to 30 ragdolls is doable but also remember that, not because 30 guys die means that all their ragdolls are being moved at the same time, some may have died before and stopped moving, freeing up resources

Re: [Advice] Ragdoll, Collisions & Physics [Re: darkinferno] #295004
10/22/09 13:56
10/22/09 13:56
United Kingdom
indiGLOW Offline OP
Serious User
indiGLOW  Offline OP
Serious User

United Kingdom
@darkinferno: Getting a balance for performance shouldn't be too hard, also I guess not all deaths will require ragdoll, in some cases complete vapourization wont leave much to ragdoll laugh

Of course having a cutoff point so that once the bodies are settled they do not collide any more will also help.

@Helghast: I've dropped you a PM with my email address laugh

Re: [Advice] Ragdoll, Collisions & Physics [Re: indiGLOW] #295083
10/22/09 21:54
10/22/09 21:54
United Kingdom
indiGLOW Offline OP
Serious User
indiGLOW  Offline OP
Serious User

United Kingdom
@Helghast: Would be really helpful if you could forward me a link, or email me your code example, just so I can get a handle on the way you have approached it.

Thanks in Advance

Re: [Advice] Ragdoll, Collisions & Physics [Re: indiGLOW] #295146
10/23/09 04:56
10/23/09 04:56
Germany
rayp Offline

X
rayp  Offline

X

Germany
Ive tryed the ragdoll from helghast a year ago. Its working great. But i never managed to remove the ragdoll bodys (after some time). frown

Acknex umgibt uns...zwischen Dir, mir, dem Stein dort...
"Hey Griswold ... where u gonna put a tree that big ?"
1998 i married my loved wife ... Sheeva from Mortal Kombat, not Evil-Lyn as might have been expected
rayp.flags |= UNTOUCHABLE;
Re: [Advice] Ragdoll, Collisions & Physics [Re: rayp] #295338
10/24/09 14:19
10/24/09 14:19
United Kingdom
indiGLOW Offline OP
Serious User
indiGLOW  Offline OP
Serious User

United Kingdom
I am trying to get my head around this and it seems the more I experiment the more confused I become.

The one conclusion I've come to is that whilst it would be a nice little feature, including Rag Doll at this stage is not vital and as I improve the rigging of my game characters and with the export pipeline through .fbx working very well for me I am sure that I can come back at a later stage and add it.

Maybe Helghast will have some kind of plugin kicked out by then too.

Either way its certainly given me food for thought...

Cheers all

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de