by jcl. 04/20/24 08:38
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 827 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea
19048 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 30 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 29 30
Re: Torque 3D [Re: lostclimate] #269444
06/03/09 06:21
06/03/09 06:21
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Originally Posted By: lostclimate
they do make sense, and they have happened.

Of course updates happened. We can read them easily in the beta section. But many users already mentioned that more than 90 percent of the updates are new script commands. This is JCL's job, and no doubt, he is doing a great job. He created a nice multimedia language, easy to learn, robust and stable.

But there is no development in other areas like tools as an example. And the templates development also moves veeeerrrryyy slowly. So the name "...studio" is more and more misleading. Unity and T3D are better studios this time. Unity even delivers working templates.

I watched the same slow dev situation at GarageGames and Torque. But now they indeed improved and became a lot faster. They realized that Unity offered a serious competition and that C4 becomes more and more a full featured solution with all tools included. They learned their lesson.

I am still not a fan-boy of Torque and I will never be. But I just see what happens out there without looking through colored sunglasses.
And the example of darkinferno shows clearly, that a skilled Lite-C developer with a really impressive Gamestudio project still can have an objective and open-eyed view at the market (just like many old GS users as well).

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Torque 3D [Re: Machinery_Frank] #269445
06/03/09 06:33
06/03/09 06:33
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
Quote:

So the name "...studio" is more and more misleading. Unity and T3D are better studios this time. Unity even delivers working templates.

I very much agree, in my opinions it should just be called the acknex engine. Because that's really all it should be considered.

Re: Torque 3D [Re: lostclimate] #269452
06/03/09 07:01
06/03/09 07:01
Germany
F
fogman Offline
Expert
fogman  Offline
Expert
F

Germany
XNA-Gamestudio is even less "Studio".

Imo it´s to extreme to predict the end of the acknex story.

When you look at some of the recent simulator games in germany,
(farmer simulator, digger simulator, garbage man simulator, busdriver simulator...)
then you´ll realize that literally every 3d engine is suited for these kind of games.
And these games sell very well.
The engine just doesn´t matter. The only thing that matters
when it comes to the deal is your personal reliability.

(This conclusion doesn´t come from me, it comes from so called "veterans" in the game scene.
e.g. producers, projectmanagers, developers)

Indie AAA games are doomed to fail, so why should every indie engine developer bother with so called "next gen" features?

If you really hit the jackpot and attract a publisher, you´ll go with gamebryo or any other engine, that fits industrial standards, just because you have the budget.
Then you don´t have to look at alternatives - you can grab a prooven AAA engine out of the pool.
However, this will happen to only 0.01% percent of us.

"Team Vienna" for example adapted the Panda engine for their upcoming MMO "7Million".
They developed a lot of inhouse tools for this engine.

We all can only guess why they don´t use a "studio" like Torque, Unity, C4, Acknex, Gamecore or another one.

Basically we shouldn´t judge others by our own standards - everyone needs different tools.

no science involved
Re: Torque 3D [Re: testDummy] #269461
06/03/09 07:45
06/03/09 07:45
Poland
LordMoggy Offline
LordMoggy  Offline

Poland
Originally Posted By: testDummy
If products evolve through use, and better products are the aim, then maybe communication between users / consumers and producers is paramount. ((Please,) Take a survey and install some adware today!!!)

Quoting darkinferno.
Quote:
if a developer behind gs was actually trying to make a game with it? dont you think it wouldve been better?

Yes, but it might be expected that the price of the product would go up measurably.

Quoting LordMoggy.
Quote:
Coca Cola is ripping my insides out, now i am pissing coke!

How much of that is choice?

In Poland your choices are limited!!

1. Vodka
2. Coca Cola
3. filthy water in containers (that makes your guts do 360 degrees and make you literally run with excitement to the toilet to open your bunghole!)
4. you do have tea or coffee but you must use this bunghole water.

i hate booze and this bunghole water(woda). So that only leaves yes you guessed it Coca Cola. Oh this sorry arse world we live in!
Quote:
Man this world is seriously bent!

Bent in favor and to the flavor of some.

Yes the seriously arrogant mind f**ked rich!

Re: Torque 3D [Re: darkinferno] #269464
06/03/09 07:52
06/03/09 07:52
Poland
LordMoggy Offline
LordMoggy  Offline

Poland
Originally Posted By: darkinferno
Originally Posted By: testDummy
Quoting darkinferno.
Quote:
if a developer behind gs was actually trying to make a game with it? dont you think it wouldve been better?

Yes, but it might be expected that the price of the product would go up measurably.

i dont see why the price would go up? for what? adding free implementations such as newton? etc

the price goes up because mindless f**ks want it to, to make us suffer!

Why do you think i choose free when it's available....So i can buy extra Kupusta at the Military shop(sklep)

I remember a few years ago some turkey was trying to sell blender on ebay for 10$ dollars what a crazyhorse world we live in. The world is truely coming to an end when you see this type of shite!!!

Re: Torque 3D [Re: lostclimate] #269465
06/03/09 07:55
06/03/09 07:55
Poland
LordMoggy Offline
LordMoggy  Offline

Poland
Originally Posted By: lostclimate
for the cost of making a game. designing a game costs money.

Yes. Like everything else. Just to shave my arse i need money to buy the razor!!!

We are mad on hygiene here. Anything that stinks here, riots in the streets breakout!!!

Afterall we are a serious country!!!

Last edited by LordMoggy; 06/03/09 07:56.
Re: Torque 3D [Re: fogman] #269466
06/03/09 08:05
06/03/09 08:05
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Originally Posted By: fogman
Indie AAA games are doomed to fail, so why should every indie engine developer bother with so called "next gen" features?

To be very honest: There is no indie engine delivering AAA "next gen" features. All these tools have some drawbacks. Even technology like C4 with lots of modern techniques (e.g. voxel terrain, portals, shader editor) still misses some features of the big ones.
If you want to mess with AAA technology, then you can play with the editor of Unreal Tournament 3. But it still is not "next gen". It is "current gen".
Next generation will be something like sculpting a game in real-time without polygons, only pixels and textures. John Carmack has visions like this.

Originally Posted By: fogman
Basically we shouldn't judge others by our own standards - everyone needs different tools.

Yes. And I think nobody did something like that in this thread. People just compared different tools. If you want to make a small little simulator (like you mentioned) or a puzzle game or a physics game - you still have some tools to choose. And it makes sense to check them. Not the latest shader might be the reason but maybe the availability on different platforms.

I read a lot about the huge success of browser games lately. And I often read from Indies that their games sell better on Mac than on PC. And there is a huge wave of success of smaller games on iPhone now.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Torque 3D [Re: Machinery_Frank] #269468
06/03/09 08:18
06/03/09 08:18
Poland
LordMoggy Offline
LordMoggy  Offline

Poland
I have visions too, but i wont release them here for fear of theft! Oneday i will eat quality food! Rather than Kupusta!

Re: Torque 3D [Re: Machinery_Frank] #269478
06/03/09 08:54
06/03/09 08:54
Germany
F
fogman Offline
Expert
fogman  Offline
Expert
F

Germany
This is why I´ve written "next gen" in quotation marks. wink

" If you want to make a small little simulator (like you mentioned)"

Small little is relative.
The "Landwirtschaftssimulator" (farmer simulator) for example is completely modable, over 250 mb heavy, has its own engine
( http://gdn.giants.ch/ ), a special foliage system, missions, physics, day/night cycles, a weathersystem, a lot of different vehicles and tools, a leveleditor...

This was a rather big project for an indie.
Same goes for all the other simulations.
I was very surprised about the amount of work that goes into
such projects.

@ the Lord:
"I have visions too, but i wont release them here for fear of theft!"
Are you serious about that? (I think you´re not)

no science involved
Re: Torque 3D [Re: LordMoggy] #269480
06/03/09 08:59
06/03/09 08:59
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

And there is a huge wave of success of smaller games on iPhone now (and Itouch that is similar)

Some words about indie games :
There are some magic indie games like Breed, World of Goo,
Puzzle Quest and lot of others as good.
There are people that prefer to pay 5$ for a little,addictive and fun game than 60$ for a traditionnal violent FPS game with lot of blood smile

Originality comes from Indie games , not from AAA Titles that are always the same :
Always same horror games, War FPS games ... borring.

Last edited by ratchet; 06/03/09 09:00.
Page 11 of 30 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 29 30

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de