by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Edgar_Herrera, VoroneTZ, Akow), 973 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Re: Unity 3D now on Wii [Re: Machinery_Frank] #233168
10/27/08 10:00
10/27/08 10:00
Richmond B.C., Canada
Captain_Kiyaku Offline

Dichotomic
Captain_Kiyaku  Offline

Dichotomic

Richmond B.C., Canada
Well as i said it's just my opinion, and my opinion might not be a mainstream one.
I tested Unity everyday when i had the trial, did most of the tutorials they have (which is really a good part, the documenation) and made some own examples (especially with the ortographic cam).

And i didn't feel good working with it. The control in the editor is a pain for me (i'm used to different controlling) and the assets management was a pain. Maybe they changed some stuff lately, i don't know.

I never heard of torque people moving to Unity3D but if you say so it must be true. But honestly people are always moving from engine to engine and get new experience. When 2-3 projects moving from Torque to Unity3D, it doesn't mean there is a new "revolution" or something.

Unity3D does have a great graphic (no doubt) but still, me as GameDesigner and Developer AND (not so experienced) artist prefers an engine that doesn't just look good but also have great features that makes it much easier to work with.

Well, anyone should decide for themself what they gonna use and what is perfect for them. I see no reason to move away from torque.

My Blog

"Tag und Nacht schrei ich mich heiser,
Wind weht alle Worte fort,
Tag und Nacht schrei ich mein Krähenwort!"

Subway To Sally - Krähenkönig
Re: Unity 3D now on Wii [Re: Captain_Kiyaku] #233177
10/27/08 11:17
10/27/08 11:17
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Originally Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku
I never heard of torque people moving to Unity3D but if you say so it must be true.

Yes it is wink

http://www.garagegames.com/blogs/4553/14508

He noted his reasons to move to Unity:
- the production time
- overall workflow
- Unity can export games directly as webbrowser game
- no low level programming (C++) needed

I agree with you totally in terms of movements. There are often movements from any software to another. And there are often different reasons for that.

Many of these movements are some kind of evolution. You know it from yourself. The beginners start with Gamestudio or FPSCreator. Then, after learning and finding some borders, barriers or even show stoppers many of them change to more advanced tools like Torque. And then there are also some of them in need of more freedom. I realized that all C4 users used to be Torque users before that.
But some programmers also move to completely free libraries like Ogre as an example.

This is some kind of evolution that happens if you gather enough knowledge. The same happened with my modelling tool-set: I started with MED, moved to Gamespace and then to Lightwave. Later I added Bodypaint3d and ZBrush to that. You cannot simply start with these advanced tools. It is better to learn with something more simple like MED and Gamespace first.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Unity 3D now on Wii [Re: Machinery_Frank] #233183
10/27/08 11:35
10/27/08 11:35
Richmond B.C., Canada
Captain_Kiyaku Offline

Dichotomic
Captain_Kiyaku  Offline

Dichotomic

Richmond B.C., Canada
Thank you for the link, the game looks quite cool.

Though i somehow can't understand his reasons.
The product time and workflow isn't slow in torque and i felt slower in unity, without having knowledge of both engines. But again, that's probably personal taste.

Later you will be able to publish games to InstantAction with torque so it's webbased too. There is also an ActiveX plugin for TGB to play TGB games in a browser.

You don't need C++ to work with torque. That's somehow a big mistake many people think about. You only need it to modify the engine code if you need some special functions or effects. Or if you want to manipulate the network code like i did. You can finish your games completely without C++ modifications.

I don't want to compare Unity with Torque or something. I'm just a bit confused about this Unity hype which i can't understand. It's all personal taste laugh

Yeah i also tested many different engines and moved back and forth.

Pinball Maker -> Gamemaker -> Gamestudio -> Ogre -> Gamestudio -> Unity -> Ogre -> Gamestudio -> Torque.

Can't call it "move" though. It was more like doing some vacations to get down the stress caused by gamestudio :P (oh noes the A7 snipers D:).

My Blog

Re: Unity 3D now on Wii [Re: Captain_Kiyaku] #233184
10/27/08 11:46
10/27/08 11:46
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Originally Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku
Yeah i also tested many different engines and moved back and forth.

Pinball Maker -> Gamemaker -> Gamestudio -> Ogre -> Gamestudio -> Unity -> Ogre -> Gamestudio -> Torque.

I am impressed, what an experienced and advanced game developer you are! shocked wink

But seriously, you know I appreciate your work.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Unity 3D now on Wii [Re: Machinery_Frank] #233188
10/27/08 11:56
10/27/08 11:56
Richmond B.C., Canada
Captain_Kiyaku Offline

Dichotomic
Captain_Kiyaku  Offline

Dichotomic

Richmond B.C., Canada
Yeah i played around with the elite of game engines out there :P

Same to you smile

My Blog

Re: Unity 3D now on Wii [Re: Captain_Kiyaku] #235114
11/06/08 00:44
11/06/08 00:44
22�21'24"N 114�07'30"E
Frederick_Lim Offline
User
Frederick_Lim  Offline
User

22�21'24"N 114�07'30"E
iPhone publishing.

It is possible now, and read about this
http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=469&tag=nl.e539

Re: Unity 3D now on Wii [Re: AlbertoT] #239363
12/04/08 09:25
12/04/08 09:25
planet.earth
ello Offline
Senior Expert
ello  Offline
Senior Expert

planet.earth
does unity work on a hackintosh ??

Re: Unity 3D now on Wii [Re: ello] #239526
12/05/08 06:15
12/05/08 06:15
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

sure, every program works on a hackintosh once you have the 3d and sound driver and everything working.

Re: Unity 3D now on Wii [Re: ventilator] #242309
12/22/08 12:58
12/22/08 12:58
San Francisco
JetpackMonkey Offline
Serious User
JetpackMonkey  Offline
Serious User

San Francisco
Hi! I have seen the promised land and it is unity
joooin ussss

Re: Unity 3D now on Wii [Re: zwecklos] #257022
03/20/09 03:56
03/20/09 03:56
Colombia
Z
Zerofractal Offline
Zerofractal  Offline
Z

Colombia
Hi. I noted this post by accident, and since unity 2.5 for windows is out I though it might be cool to share some insight, since a screenshot of an old old old (2006) project of ours was shown.

Ever since we started out using unity3D we simply fell in love with it! Before that we were quest3D users, and gave torque and even a7 a try, but were overwhelmed, sine (NO SARCASM HERE) we were able to import a scene from max w/baked textures in FBX and drop in a FPS prefab and had a incredible VR simulation just 2 hours after downloading the trial version.

I noted that the screenshot that zwecklos posted was incredibly crafted to look the engline look crappy, which is actually a bit silly. I invite you guys to check that same old project here and proove me wrong. We are very friendly people but it just annoys me a bit when things are skewed like this.

This is a link to the webplayer of the project:
http://www.zerofractal.com/fractalreality/agua.html

Again, I'm sorry for bringing a year old post to life!!!

Alejandro Gonzalez

Originally Posted By: zwecklos
just checked the Unity website and also was checking out the gallery.
I think it is a very nice engine with many nice features.

I also checked their architectural visualisation that I found in the gallery, the screenshoots looks very cool and promising. So I downloaded the program found on http://unity3d.com/webplayers/ZeroFractal/Agua-Windows.zip.

I was more than disappointed, maybe it a is matter of the conversion to make it able to run under windows.
But something like this should not be used for promoting an engines output, no matter what “3D pipelines" were involved.

Judge by yourself:

A print screen directly taken from the application.

Here the Acknex result:

This scene is without Anti-Aliasing, directly taken from the application. With the next update for A7 (that will come very soon I hope *sigh*) AA will be intergrated in that scenery.
Also a bloom-blur and a sharpen shader is implemented.

Dont get me wrong, I think Unity is surely an impressive engine. But for me/us it is no option.

A funny sentence I found in the Developer profile:

Quote:

How long did you spend?

emm.. about 2 hours after downloading the trial smile

Well, they invented the "do_a_very_good_looking_scene" button laugh

/sarcasm.flags = !VISIBLE;

To be honest, after exploring this application, I found me asking my self why our screenies doesnt adorn the 3DGS galleries smile

cheers

zwecklos

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de