by VoroneTZ. 04/17/24 06:52
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (howardR, sleakz), 706 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea
19048 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 17 of 34 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 33 34
Re: Unity 2.5 for Windows - sooner than you think [Re: fogman] #256857
03/19/09 11:36
03/19/09 11:36
O
ortucis Offline
ortucis  Offline
O

In the end it is all about which features you can live without in your game. As far as Mac publishing is concerned, if you are an Indie who can afford only the Indie version, Unity making a Mac exe isn't really a bonus since you can't really test it 24/7 yourself for bugs and all (if you don't own a Mac). Also, good luck finding a publisher that will finance a Indie dev (so that you can purchase the Pro version)..

The editor on Unity is really good though. It really makes your life easy compared to 3dgs editor. Interface is clean and customizable (you can add/remove a lot of tabs).

Click to reveal.. (warning)
Re: Unity 2.5 for Windows - sooner than you think [Re: ortucis] #256858
03/19/09 11:40
03/19/09 11:40
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Originally Posted By: ortucis
For those who are curious, here are few Indie version shots..

Hm, even without shadows it looks very good, much better than most of other terrain demos.

And I agree with Fogman: Unity does no harm to other 3d applications. It is nice to check FBX files, to prototype some scenes to play around with it and finally it can even publish to a lot of platforms.

The multi-platform availability makes it more expensive of course. So if you really only want to play at weekends on a Windows PC then Unity is not the right choice for you. Then you better go with 3dgs or free options like Irrlicht, Ogre or Wintermute.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Unity 2.5 for Windows - sooner than you think [Re: fogman] #256859
03/19/09 11:41
03/19/09 11:41
germany
gri Offline
Serious User
gri  Offline
Serious User

germany
Originally Posted By: fogman
"good luck and goodbuy to all who leaves the Acknexengine and turns to unity."

I donīt get why people only want to use one tool.
Acknex wonīt disappear magically from your HD when you install Unity. wink
Believe me, Iīve tried it. They donīt harm each other. laugh

These shaders are included in Indie:
http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/Components/Built-in%20Shader%20Guide.html

Its a reaction for posts like this:

Originally Posted By: Sebe
"
Downloaded it, tried it for 30minutes now - and I already know that I'll definitely never go back to 3dgs. Farewell, 3dgs (Community?) - been nice knowing you

Why do I cheat on 3dgs? Simple - Workflow. It's not even the graphics

,gri

"Make a great game or kill it early" (Bruce Shelley, Ensemble Studios)
Re: Unity 2.5 for Windows - sooner than you think [Re: ortucis] #256862
03/19/09 11:45
03/19/09 11:45
A
amy Offline
amy  Offline
A

A mac mini costs 600€ but it would be stupid anyway if there were platform dependent bugs. I canīt imagine that publishing to OSX needs a lot of testing.

Compared to Gamestudio there are a lot more possibilities to make money with Unity. iPhone games are very popular at the moment or you could do small web based advertising games. Itīs pretty easy to afford Pro after your first small indie project. smile

Re: Unity 2.5 for Windows - sooner than you think [Re: Machinery_Frank] #256866
03/19/09 11:52
03/19/09 11:52
O
ortucis Offline
ortucis  Offline
O

Originally Posted By: Machinery_Frank
Originally Posted By: ortucis
For those who are curious, here are few Indie version shots..

Hm, even without shadows it looks very good, much better than most of other terrain demos.

And I agree with Fogman: Unity does no harm to other 3d applications. It is nice to check FBX files, to prototype some scenes to play around with it and finally it can even publish to a lot of platforms.

The multi-platform availability makes it more expensive of course. So if you really only want to play at weekends on a Windows PC then Unity is not the right choice for you. Then you better go with 3dgs or free options like Irrlicht, Ogre or Wintermute.

Oh yes, it definitely looks good and all. But you just know that something's missing. However, like I said, you can always use all the tricks in the book to make it look good.

I'll be honest and say that more I use Unity editor, the painful the thought of using 3dgs editor becomes. :P

So basically, even without the crucial features, the editor itself is like a nail in the coffin for every possible Indie engine out there (esp. Torque).

Going to try out the terrain editing and FBX support now. I also noticed a crazy thing that the demo level models have PSD files with the texture files. I believe updating the PSD files is also a built in feature here? (I messed around with normal map settings and the editor mentioned PSD changes..?)

All in all the editor has definitely been developed by people who were trying to make it easy for the artists out there. Pretty cool.

Re: Unity 2.5 for Windows - sooner than you think [Re: amy] #256872
03/19/09 12:00
03/19/09 12:00
O
ortucis Offline
ortucis  Offline
O

Originally Posted By: amy
A mac mini costs 600€ but it would be stupid anyway if there were platform dependent bugs. I canīt imagine that publishing to OSX needs a lot of testing.

Compared to Gamestudio there are a lot more possibilities to make money with Unity. iPhone games are very popular at the moment or you could do small web based advertising games. Itīs pretty easy to afford Pro after your first small indie project. smile

Assuming if..

1) Your game is good enough for that Mac mini.

2) Every Mac user out there has a Mac mini. If a more expensive (or "advanced") tech is common among users, wouldn't you rather have that to test your game onto? (why would you optimise it for lower end if that shouldn't be the target anyway)

3) If you know nothing about OSX. What happens when bugs are reported? You have to learn ins and outs of OSX now? If you hire someone for that.. well, he ain't working for free.

4) Lot more possibilities? What happens when your game isn't portable? Will you port an FPS to iPhone? What happens when your game isn't for browser based plugins? In the end you pretty much come down to downloadable standalone app.

5) It doesn't cost "600€" EVERYWHERE in the world (and 600 is still way too expensive, you can buy a pro license for that instead).

Re: Unity 2.5 for Windows - sooner than you think [Re: ortucis] #256878
03/19/09 12:09
03/19/09 12:09
Ä°stanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

Ä°stanbul, Turkey
i kinda like it, editor and workflow is very nice,i didnt tried any scripting/programming, but i am gonna stick with Gamestudio.

Re: Unity 2.5 for Windows - sooner than you think [Re: ortucis] #256879
03/19/09 12:17
03/19/09 12:17
A
amy Offline
amy  Offline
A

Quote:
I'll be honest and say that more I use Unity editor, the painful the thought of using 3dgs editor becomes. :P
I felt the same. smile

Quote:
2) Every Mac user out there has a Mac mini. If a more expensive (or "advanced") tech is common among users, wouldn't you rather have that to test your game onto? (why would you optimise it for lower end if that shouldn't be the target anyway)
Then I guess you also buy 20 different Windows PCs for testing your Gamestudio games. smile You canīt really expect a lone wolf developer to have a huge testing center at home.

Quote:
3) If you know nothing about OSX. What happens when bugs are reported? You have to learn ins and outs of OSX now?
A game runs in the engine and has almost nothing to do with the underlying OS. I think you are exaggerating those issues a little.

Quote:
4) Lot more possibilities? What happens when your game isn't portable? Will you port an FPS to iPhone? What happens when your game isn't for browser based plugins? In the end you pretty much come down to downloadable standalone app.
I donīt really understand this argument!? smile Itīs no big deal to keep the other platforms in mind when designing a game and of course you have a lot more possibilities with Unity. Gamestudio has no ports to different platforms at all.

Quote:
5) It doesn't cost 600€ EVERYWHERE in the world (and 600€ is still way too expensive, you can buy a pro license for that instead).
In europe a mac mini costs 600€ at the moment and as far as I know they are cheaper almost everywhere else. If you are a cheapskate you can also install OSX on your normal PC.

Re: Unity 2.5 for Windows - sooner than you think [Re: amy] #256882
03/19/09 12:35
03/19/09 12:35
O
ortucis Offline
ortucis  Offline
O

^ Installing OSX on normal PC (Windows, right?)... is that even legal? Still, it's not the same hardware and not being a cheapskate (you wouldn't be purchasing "Indie" if you could afford everything out there anyway).

Actually, buying 20 different Windows PC's is cheaper than 5 Mac's. laugh

You are forgetting that I can just replace my display card with other to test my game on different configuration (just like every other part)..

Seriously though, I know that making for Mac is a plus overall and most developers can find a way to test their games on a Mac (like publishers/portals, they can test it for you) eventually.

Still, they should add proper shadow support in Indie. I can see upgrading for stuff like motion blur but basic 3D feature, dynamic shadows, that's just wrong on so many levels. Removing such features would've worked on Mac but on PC you will be competing with a lot of 3D games with different engines, all with proper shadows..

Re: Unity 2.5 for Windows - sooner than you think [Re: ortucis] #256886
03/19/09 12:50
03/19/09 12:50
A
amy Offline
amy  Offline
A

I think except for the BIOS macs use exactly the same hardware as PCs since they have moved to Intel processors.

With Unity indie you can use dynamic decal shadows.

Quote:
Still, they should add proper shadow support in Indie.
Yes, but Gamestudio should add proper shadow support too. smile I havenīt seen a Gamestudio shadow demo like the one on the Unity website yet. At least Unity has nice shadows in pro. Of course I wouldnīt mind having them in indie either though. smile

Page 17 of 34 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 33 34

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de