Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by EternallyCurious. 04/18/24 10:45
StartWeek not working as it should
by Zheka. 04/18/24 10:11
folder management functions
by VoroneTZ. 04/17/24 06:52
lookback setting performance issue
by 7th_zorro. 04/16/24 03:08
zorro 64bit command line support
by 7th_zorro. 04/15/24 09:36
Zorro FIX plugin - Experimental
by flink. 04/14/24 07:48
Zorro FIX plugin - Experimental
by flink. 04/14/24 07:46
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (SBGuy), 652 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin
19047 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 2
Page 62 of 67 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 66 67
Re: Q: Should creationism be taught in shools? -- A: YES! [Re: Dooley] #246708
01/16/09 18:25
01/16/09 18:25
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Originally Posted By: Dooley
, I think Pascal's wager is still a strong argument in favor of religion.

Never argued with people who claim to have got the faith but I have alwayes cosidered the Pascal's wager a mean reason to believe on God
I am sure many religious people would agree with me

Re: Q: Should creationism be taught in shools? -- A: YES! [Re: Dan Silverman] #246730
01/16/09 20:53
01/16/09 20:53
Chicago, IL
Dooley Offline
User
Dooley  Offline
User

Chicago, IL
Ok Dan. I am confounded. I have looked up some other translations and explanations, and unfortunately, the amount of differing translations and ideas indicate that there has been some sort of 'cover-up' attempted.

I am going to do my best to discover exactly what these terms meant at the time of the prophet. If this can be done, it should be pretty easy to determine whether they are true or false. Unfortunately, as a non-Arab, this will be a long road for me.

I will not bother this forum with my theories any longer. However, if my long and arduous search results in a clear explanation, I will return, and I hope to find a ready audience.

Farewell for now.

Re: Q: Should creationism be taught in shools? -- A: YES! [Re: Dooley] #246732
01/16/09 21:17
01/16/09 21:17
Virginia, USA
Dan Silverman Offline
Senior Expert
Dan Silverman  Offline
Senior Expert

Virginia, USA
Hey, Dooley, I was not trying to chase you off, but to help you to see reason. The verse is clear in both the English and the Arabic. In the ancient world you will find that many people gave a lot of attention to the chest area (especially the heart). For example, the ancient Egyptians thought that all thought and emotion emanated from the heart. This is one of the reasons the heart, among other organs, was preserved during mummification while the brain was pulled out through the nose and discarded. The fear (for the dead) was that the heart would bear witness to the bad deeds of the departed preventing them from moving on to the next life.

With all this attention in the ancient world given to the heart (and, thus, the chest area) it is no wonder that the Qur'an indicates that life begins there (between the backbone and the ribs).

In any case, being confounded is no reason to turn tail and run. If you are seeking the truth, then there is nothing to fear and no reason to run.

Professional 2D, 3D and Real-Time 3D Content Creation:
HyperGraph Studios
Re: Q: Should creationism be taught in shools? -- A: YES! [Re: Dan Silverman] #246769
01/17/09 02:12
01/17/09 02:12
Chicago, IL
Dooley Offline
User
Dooley  Offline
User

Chicago, IL
Not run, just re-evaluate. I'm not throwing the Quran away just yet. I trust it more than I trust the explanations of Muslim scholars. They seem to have made a hash of this verse, and I don't want to fall into that trap.

I believe with a clear translation its meaning will become apparent.

However, on the other hand, if I can't find a clear translation, this will definitely put my belief on trial. That will mean that the meaning of the Quran has not been preserved, and it will undermine the whole thing.

Also, if the clear translation, should I find it, cannot be understood in a way which does not conflict with well known scientific fact, this will also pose a great problem for its claim to be from God.

The test will be whether the explanation really fits, or if is forced to fit. I rejected Christianity because the explanations Christians gave for Biblical contradictions were clearly forced upon the text. They did not emanate from the text. To be true to myself, and my idea of truth, the Quran will have to actually 'explain itself', not by 'being explained'. I hope this makes sense.

This has been my problem with tafsirs (explanations of the Quran), they seek to explain it. They do not really allow the text to speak for itself.

Originally Posted By: AlbertoT
Never argued with people who claim to have got the faith but I have alwayes cosidered the Pascal's wager a mean reason to believe on God
I am sure many religious people would agree with me

It's not my reason for believing in God. My reasons are far more personal and subjective, and don't really serve in a scientific discussion. I guess it's an afterthought, which helps to keep me on the path. I don't think Pascal's argument would have converted me, now that you mention it.

Re: Q: Should creationism be taught in shools? -- A: YES! [Re: Tiles] #247420
01/20/09 19:45
01/20/09 19:45
California, USA
bupaje Offline
Expert
bupaje  Offline
Expert

California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tiles

I don't burn or bomb people. I don't kill them as witches. I don't lead wars.

Believers do.

I will never ring at somebody's house to lead a discussion about an imaginary white rabbit. And i will not force a whoule country to do so by saying that what i believe but is unprovable should be teached instead knowledge in schools.

Believers do.

Religion is something private. You can believe what you want. But in your own four walls. And without the try to get control over my live with all possible and impossible weapons.

For the record the crimes you list are not limited to religious types. Burning and bombing, senseless killings? They have ever been part of the human tapestry. They have been done in the name of racial superiority, political ideologies, for land, water, trade routes and power. You seek to paint religion as the source of all of this evil but that is a false view. I am sure at least as many crimes have been committed against religious people by intolerant groups and individuals, as by them.

Something deeper and common to all people is the source of these evils. Greed, selfishness, intolerance, the desire to be superior to others, a lust for power, ignorance are all on that list and in my personal experience these aren't limited to people belonging to any specific group.

Find me at: |Stormvisions| Twitter|
Re: Q: Should creationism be taught in shools? -- A: YES! [Re: bupaje] #247435
01/20/09 21:36
01/20/09 21:36
Virginia, USA
Dan Silverman Offline
Senior Expert
Dan Silverman  Offline
Senior Expert

Virginia, USA
Quote:
For the record the crimes you list are not limited to religious types. Burning and bombing, senseless killings? They have ever been part of the human tapestry. They have been done in the name of racial superiority, political ideologies, for land, water, trade routes and power. You seek to paint religion as the source of all of this evil but that is a false view. I am sure at least as many crimes have been committed against religious people by intolerant groups and individuals, as by them.

You might want to take a look at your list again. Even when the evils were committed for racial superiority, political ideologies, land, water, trade routes and power, the typical situation has religion behind them. Whether it was the Crusades, the expansion of the Muslim world, the conquest of the New World and any other number of wars that were fought, the VAST majority of them have religion as a cause or reason within them. Even if the people that fought them were not religions, per se, they often used religion as their excuse to get the job done.

Professional 2D, 3D and Real-Time 3D Content Creation:
HyperGraph Studios
Re: Q: Should creationism be taught in shools? -- A: YES! [Re: Dan Silverman] #247462
01/21/09 01:19
01/21/09 01:19
California, USA
bupaje Offline
Expert
bupaje  Offline
Expert

California, USA
I think there is a difference between saying that religion was the cause of those events and saying that religion was used as an excuse in those events. There is no question that many, through deliberate intent or ignorance, have used religion to manipulate or justify horrible things but I don't believe religion can be listed as the root cause of all the evils of the world.

I guess the 'danger' of religion, is the same danger found in any other social, political, philosophical or intellectual structure - they work as lenses that can be used to focus the collective power of a group. Yes it has been misused, and can still be misused, as has everything else, including science, because all of these systems are driven by human beings -some seeking the greater good and some not.

I think if you seek the common denominator of most conflict it is not religion but simple selfishness. Strip away religion and every other cause of conflict and we would be left with nothing but a reflection of ourselves.

Last edited by bupaje; 01/21/09 02:07. Reason: fixed grammatical error on first paragraph.
Re: Q: Should creationism be taught in shools? -- A: YES! [Re: Dan Silverman] #247468
01/21/09 02:20
01/21/09 02:20
Nashua NH
heinekenbottle Offline
heinekenbottle  Offline

Nashua NH
Originally Posted By: Dan Silverman
Quote:

You might want to take a look at your list again. Even when the evils were committed for racial superiority, political ideologies, land, water, trade routes and power, the typical situation has religion behind them. Whether it was the Crusades, the expansion of the Muslim world, the conquest of the New World and any other number of wars that were fought, the VAST majority of them have religion as a cause or reason within them. Even if the people that fought them were not religions, per se, they often used religion as their excuse to get the job done.

Even today, war is still backed by religious issues. Look at the Middle East. Israel has been fought over for millenia and it is still going on. Muslim extremists disrupt American/Iraqi attempts to bring democracy and security to Iraq in the name of Allah. And on ourside many people, albiet ignorant people, blame the entire Muslim religion for acts of war and terrorism in the Middle East and elsewhere.

I was once Anonymous_Alcoholic.

Code Breakpoint;
Re: Q: Should creationism be taught in shools? -- A: YES! [Re: heinekenbottle] #247484
01/21/09 08:54
01/21/09 08:54
germany
Tiles Offline
User
Tiles  Offline
User

germany
Quote:
I think there is a difference between saying that religion was the cause of those events and saying that religion was used as an excuse in those events.

There is no real difference.

trueSpace 7.6, A7 commercial
Free gamegraphics, freewaregames http://www.reinerstilesets.de
Die Community rund um Spiele-Toolkits http://www.clickzone.de
Re: Q: Should creationism be taught in shools? -- A: YES! [Re: heinekenbottle] #247544
01/21/09 14:54
01/21/09 14:54
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:
I think if you seek the common denominator of most conflict it is not religion but simple selfishness. Strip away religion and every other cause of conflict and we would be left with nothing but a reflection of ourselves.

You can't blame selfishness when entire groups act because they're brainwashed by some sort of leadership claiming all sorts of crazy stuff. How can blowing up a bomb strapped to your own body be an act of selfishness.? Instead it's just another insane example of how far religious people are willing to go brainwashed as they are.

Shouldn't the true essence of religion be doing good and making this world a better place, instead of starting wars killing thousands? Well, that very same thing often gets torn out of context to justify going to war in the first place.

Quote:
Muslim extremists disrupt American/Iraqi attempts to bring democracy and security to Iraq in the name of Allah.

There are many different groups involved in that conflict all with somewhat different motives, it's not as easy as it sounds when it comes to 'accepting democracy'. Many people in Iraq are not interested in democracy, let alone a foreign country that decides over what's best for them or not dragging them into a war in their own country.

Democracy often is seen by many of them as 'the evil religion of the west' in very much the same way as we tend to be biased about how all muslims are terrorists. They're not.

It makes no sense to force democracy onto a country like this, it just doesn't work that way. Especially when the general consensus has always been that the people in Iraq would rather have no war at all, even if it means accepting Saddam. Security in Iraq has been lots worse ever since that war started and many have died for so called democracy and modernization. Religion or not, it's no wonder a lot of groups genuinely seem to hate America, knowing how US oil interests and even Christianity played a vital role in a war they didn't choose for.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Page 62 of 67 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 66 67

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite