by VoroneTZ. 04/17/24 06:52
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (howardR), 493 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea
19048 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: You guys do NOT make this easy -- MMP Part 2: Technical [Re: PHeMoX] #222504
08/19/08 17:45
08/19/08 17:45
USofA
fastlane69 Offline OP
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline OP
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:
(you'll probably run into using workarounds with every engine though).

No doubt! But consider that with GS Net Engine, I have to turn the majority of it off and THEN create workarounds!

Using the car analogy above, it's like being told after you buy the car that in order to drive it home, you have to not use cruise control (ie: dead reckoning), can't rely on what the spedometer said (ie: network stat panel), can't use the turn signal at all (ie: entity updates) and have to find a workaround to using the gas and brake! laugh

Re: You guys do NOT make this easy -- MMP Part 2: Technical [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #222506
08/19/08 17:57
08/19/08 17:57
USofA
fastlane69 Offline OP
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline OP
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:
I have even released the whole source code of a small shooter project I have been working on which supports up to 8 players in a good working environment.

I'm not trying to downplay your efforts, Michael but 8 shooter DNE MMOG... and while experience with an 8 shooter can let you say "You can make a 8 shooter with GS" -- which I've never denied -- the architecture required for a MMOG is so radically differnet from that of an 8 shooter that you cannot infer that if you can do 8, you can do 100.

I urge you to TRY and do 100. Then let's see what your opinion of the engine is.

Quote:
way too impractical, BUT it is possible.

I'm not going to argue semantics with you Michael... call it impractical, call it possible, I don't care. No matter how you cut it, if you are advertising something that is impractical with your engine, that is misleading at best, false advertising at worst.

Michael, I'm just being "practical" with this thread, my friend. I'm trying to make the net engine better for all of us and if you keep interjecting that "all is well" with no experience or facts to back it up, then you are making it more difficult for those of us that NEED change to get it. frown

(PS: ironically enough Michael, I was you years ago! I too thought that if I can make 8 (which I did) I could do 50 (which I did, but by butchering the engine!). As a network Fanboy, I am probably responsible for keeping this failing solution going longer than needed and I am merely here to make up for my past Fanboy sins. blush)

Re: You guys do NOT make this easy -- MMP Part 2: Technical [Re: fastlane69] #222514
08/19/08 18:48
08/19/08 18:48
Red Dwarf
Michael_Schwarz Offline
Senior Expert
Michael_Schwarz  Offline
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
And still you don't finish reading my sentences. I have already said that I have also done lots of simple MMOG prototypes (moving, simple clothing change, chat) which I first had to test on my commercial version and later ask a friend here from the forums to compile it on the Pro.

And like I said, it is possible, but very impractical, even for simple moving, lots of workarounds (in c-script) were needed, but it was possible, that is point.

I don't deny the fact that the 3dgs network engine is unusable, just that you accuse them of doing faulty advertising.

But let that be aside.. I am totally with you that the network engine needs help, but I don't think that this "crusade" will help much.

"Sometimes JCL reminds me of Notch, but more competent" ~ Kiyaku
Re: You guys do NOT make this easy -- MMP Part 2: Technical [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #222516
08/19/08 18:56
08/19/08 18:56
USofA
fastlane69 Offline OP
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline OP
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:
simple MMOG prototypes (moving, simple clothing change, chat) which I first had to test on my commercial version and later ask a friend here from the forums to compile it on the Pro.

I'm sorry I missed this. I'm posting a mile a minute to keep the momentum going and I'm sorry if I glossed over your post in an attempt to get my main point across.

Note that the important point is not what you or I have done, it's that...

Quote:
I don't deny the fact that the 3dgs network engine is unusable

...which is all I'm trying to get across and change!!!!

Quote:
just that you accuse them of doing faulty advertising

Not in this thread. This thread is about updating the GS engine so it is MMOG usable. The other thread is about false advertising given the current network architecture of the engine.

Quote:
but I don't think that this "crusade" will help much.

Then what will? If EVERYONE agrees that the net engine is failing, if the ENTIRE MP community is saying this, then how can we get our voices heard and our demands for change met if not with a "crusade"?

Re: You guys do NOT make this easy -- MMP Part 2: Technical [Re: fastlane69] #222533
08/19/08 20:22
08/19/08 20:22
Frankfurt
jcl Offline

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
I've just seen that this thread has grown very long meanwhile. So I apologize that I could not read it in all details. However, I understood that you worked 5 years on an MMOG project that wasn't successful, and you want to communicate that the reason was our engine, resp. some missing features. The main problems that I could extract from your posts were:

- You've heard that the Directplay network library is slow or unreliable, and want another library.
- You want the server to send entity updates only to a subset of clients in its zone.
- You got error messages in your game.
- People told you that you can't do a MMOG with Gamestudio.

Is that a correct summary of your main problems so far?

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Otherwise I'll think about how we can help in your case, and will post an answer in the next days. We take such a problem seriously.

Re: You guys do NOT make this easy -- MMP Part 2: Technical [Re: fastlane69] #222534
08/19/08 20:23
08/19/08 20:23
MMike Offline
Serious User
MMike  Offline
Serious User

The GS network is too weak to handle MMOG, though i think it is possible with lite-c? or plugins.. i mean, thats how others games may do it too...

Would be nice a little demo from conitec, just to show that MMOG is possible and pratical, because if its not pratical, then should not exist and start to think in a new network engine.

Re: You guys do NOT make this easy -- MMP Part 2: Technical [Re: MMike] #222535
08/19/08 20:24
08/19/08 20:24
nl
F
flits Offline
User
flits  Offline
User
F

nl
i gues that this wont help much if you go posting like this

i get that you are angry and want to try help use and yourself
and people that want to buy gs because of it easy working program white freedom

now may question is wat is going wrong, wat are we missing, wat do we want

what i miss is how much is incoming how much is realy going out on data trafic
-big data tranfser (5mb+ data transfer (for updating and that kind of stuff))
-sound transver
-local network servers finder(list of all sserver not just connect one)
-internet "" """(not realy necceray)

not for me
-mysql (dont know but maby handy)
-enz.

what do we want:
oke you want a different netwrok system so what are the options and what are the good side's and the bad side's
what do other player's think of it
(it will be a discusion like the pshycic enginge i gues)

i dont like talking that much so i will keep it short but hope that this help all is this info that knows every one

i hope i posted in the good tread of the 2 (:

flits

"empty"
Re: You guys do NOT make this easy -- MMP Part 2: Technical [Re: jcl] #222549
08/19/08 21:51
08/19/08 21:51
USofA
fastlane69 Offline OP
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline OP
Senior Expert

USofA
JCL, if you aren't reading the entire thread, then there is no sense in giving you a detailed reply that you won't read.

Instead, I will merely ask you one question:

If the entire MP community (barring Michael) is telling you the GS Net Engine is useless, then why won't you listen to us?

So why not work WITH us to get a better network for GS instead of AGAINST us in defense of a dead engine (DPLAY)? cool

Re: You guys do NOT make this easy -- MMP Part 2: Technical [Re: flits] #222550
08/19/08 21:53
08/19/08 21:53
USofA
fastlane69 Offline OP
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline OP
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:
want to try help use and yourself
and people that want to buy gs because of it easy working program white freedom

now may question is wat is going wrong, wat are we missing, wat do we want

Amen Flits. smile

But like a drug addict, we won't get anywhere until we get Conitec to admit there is a problem!

Re: You guys do NOT make this easy -- MMP Part 2: Technical [Re: fastlane69] #222551
08/19/08 21:56
08/19/08 21:56
MMike Offline
Serious User
MMike  Offline
Serious User

m sure there is a explanation about why keeping DPLAY, JCL sure does has a reason, that maybe its hard to workaround. But im optimist about someday it will must come another network engine, its a matter of time, however, this is a problem that must be quicky handled, alot of projects depending on this probably.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de