by VoroneTZ. 04/17/24 06:52
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (howardR, sleakz), 706 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea
19048 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OpenSSL export/import restrictions #173253
12/17/07 04:43
12/17/07 04:43
Netherlands
D3D Offline OP
Serious User
D3D  Offline OP
Serious User

Netherlands
Wanted to enable SSL in a freeware dll for MySQL i'm working on. However, the OpenSSL website had this message:

Quote:

This software package uses strong cryptography, so even if it is created, maintained and distributed from liberal countries in Europe (where it is legal to do this), it falls under certain export/import and/or use restrictions in some other parts of the world.

please remember that export/import and/or use of strong cryptography software, providing cryptography hooks or even just communicating technical details about cryptography software is illegal in some parts of the world. so, when you import this package to your country, re-distribute it from there or even just email technical suggestions or even source patches to the author or other people you are strongly advised to pay close attention to any export/import and/or use laws which apply to you. the authors of openssl are not liable for any violations you make here. so be careful, it is your responsibility.

http://openssl.org

So i'm living in the Netherlands, will I get in trouble if I compile OpenSSL with this MySQL plugin for GameStudio and distribute it as freeware from my website located in America? Must I warn people "from lesser liberal countries" not to use or they get arrested??

smile
Re: OpenSSL export/import restrictions [Re: D3D] #173254
12/17/07 09:23
12/17/07 09:23
Red Dwarf
Michael_Schwarz Offline
Senior Expert
Michael_Schwarz  Offline
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
I dont think you must be worried. I think this applies to less liberal countries as Cuba or those countries with "-istan" at the end...(to not name specific ones) where the government kinda wants to control and know everything....

"Sometimes JCL reminds me of Notch, but more competent" ~ Kiyaku
Re: OpenSSL export/import restrictions [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #173255
12/17/07 23:53
12/17/07 23:53
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Actually it's perfectly legal in Cuba itself, but it's other countries that do not allow such cryptographic code to be released to "these" countries.

The Netherlands is not one of "these" though, so I don't think you can get into legal problems here. Since your website is one on a American server it would be wise to be cautious with it (or host these files on a Dutch server).

If you want to be on the safe side legally, just make sure people visiting your site must sign an extra license which states that people from countries in which it's not legal to download these cryptography related codes are not allowed to download this from your site.

It's a bit odd though, because anyone can download that open source project... not just from your site if you choose to use it, it's all over the net,

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: OpenSSL export/import restrictions [Re: PHeMoX] #173256
12/18/07 20:05
12/18/07 20:05
Netherlands
D3D Offline OP
Serious User
D3D  Offline OP
Serious User

Netherlands
Ok I have made the DLL ready for use with SSL. Actually this is a professional feature because not everyone will be needing SSL or can allow it on their shared website hosting service. Another problem is that it looks like SSL isn't compiled inside Windows binaries for MySQL (you need to do this yourself?) or used by default. Present in Linux though. I can only test on XWAMP which has OpenSSL.

How about Canada? Do they have problems with Cuba or these restrictions? I can put a warning on my website about the legal issue, but I rather remove the SSL feature and make the DLL available for everyone in the world.

smile

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de