by jcl. 04/20/24 08:38
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (EternallyCurious, AndrewAMD, TipmyPip, Quad), 889 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea
19048 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: A question to the MP community [Re: fastlane69] #159922
10/14/07 15:45
10/14/07 15:45
EpsiloN Offline OP
User
EpsiloN  Offline OP
User

I'm starting to lear MP tonight. If thats what it takes to get someone to help me,I'll make a design document,and I never said it was useless if you read carefully,you'll see that I wrote 'many of the topics'. And,btw,I dont know English perfectly,because my native language is Bulgarian I can write it perfectly in Bulgarian,but who will read it?
About the 'noobish' thing to say,for keeping the two major features to myself,you have to admit that even you stole something from a movie,book or a game,that you tought it'll look great in a game I've done it once,taking a whole concept for a board game,changing it just a little.
You said that A6 can send something to a certain client,I've heard only for GSTNet,that can do that. Or am I wrong?

Quote:

Another comment that comes off as very noobish only because you hear this ALL the time. "maximum freedom" and "write your own storyline" are marketing taglines, the kind of thing you say in an ad or back of the box. These aren't features, you don't program them in, and they are in fact impossible really when you come down to it.

Now , if you read my 'concept' you'll know that I'm not just talking nonsense Its not a feature,but I've removed the need for a story,I've removed the 'cheezy NPC guide you thru the storyline' and added the possibility for people to control the whole 'Economy' in the game. I dont think that one came from a marketing tagline I'm not trying to be offensive about this,but I dont agree with you on what you wrote. Yes , I didnt organised it in a document , I didnt ask for a whole team to 'manage' and lead. I asked for one person who might already made a system for movement and attacking for more than 50 persons,that could be optimised just a little to fit my concept needs. I dont consider myself a leader,I am capable,because I run my own small company,but I do not wish to lead,or tell people what they have to do. If someone wants to help me,ok I guess noone will do that,so I'm starting it myself. I consider myself a good programmer,so it should be fairly easy to learn how MP works. I'll never finish the script alone,I realise that,but its worth the try,even if you dont believe in it Thanks for your time. I'll think about your 'constructive critics' and try to improve.

Extensive Multiplayer tutorial:
http://mesetts.com/index.php?page=201
Re: A question to the MP community [Re: EpsiloN] #159923
10/15/07 01:24
10/15/07 01:24
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
I had no idea english wasn't your native language... you carry it well!
I'll wish you good luck but urge you to not try your concept.
Take my advice and start with a small chatroom, some movement, get used to MP programming, and then try and make your game.

Good Luck!

Re: A question to the MP community [Re: fastlane69] #159924
10/15/07 08:38
10/15/07 08:38
Illinois
G
giorgi3 Offline
User
giorgi3  Offline
User
G

Illinois
Don't get to discouraged with the responses to your request for help. Actually, everyone is trying to help you start your MP adventure in the right way. MP is hard enough to get working right, MMOG is a gigantic effort.

Take the advice given. Set aside your MMOG for now. Start with something small in MP. Study Locoweeds tutorial. Get a chat working, get some movement going, conquer the latency and bandwidth issues associated with MP and the internet. Once you've got a solid understanding of MP then begin again on your MMOG idea.

Giorgi3

10,000 parts flying in a close formation does not constitute an airplane. Some assembly is required.
Re: A question to the MP community [Re: giorgi3] #159925
10/15/07 18:52
10/15/07 18:52
EpsiloN Offline OP
User
EpsiloN  Offline OP
User

Actualy , I went thru Locoweeds MP tutorial today,and I'm starting to realise that my idea isnt any diffrent from a normal Multiplayer game,except that it includes 10 times the normal clients. Instead of having 10 clients,I have 100 but sending 10 times less data I'm gonna try tommorow to make a simple movement code with a chat system,when I get it right,the only thing left is just 2 variables send from client to server,and server to client. Maby 3 if I've forgot something,I'll have to think about the whole concept again,but I'm almost shure literaly 2 variables plus the movement and chat systems. I've tought about MMO games , specificaly browser-based games in 3D,how they could be implemented,and because of this I have some ideas how to minimise the data transferred. I hope it works when I try it (probably the day after tommorow)
But now I have another question. I currently dont even have access to the internet for more than 5 mins./day. I'm doing everything on one machine. Even if I manage to get 2 computers in a LAN ...how can I test if it works for more clients? I dont have money to pay for a 100 testers,maby even 50 could do the job. If I get atleast 10 it wont be enough,because I can never be shure if the server could support even twice more connections. How can I test it without knowing someone who owns a computer club?

PS.: I had another question,but for so much thinking I forgot what it was If I remember,I'll post again tommorow.

Re: A question to the MP community [Re: EpsiloN] #159926
10/16/07 03:52
10/16/07 03:52
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
I admire your dedication, but do you really think that MP is a wise course of action?

I mean if you don't have any MP experience, and can't be on the net for more than 5 mins. a day and can't get the computers for testing and honestly think that you can send data to 100 people with 10 times less data than 10, then might it not be better if you made single player games that require only 1 computer and no internet?

IMO, single player games are more your cup of tea...

Re: A question to the MP community [Re: fastlane69] #159927
10/16/07 09:58
10/16/07 09:58
EpsiloN Offline OP
User
EpsiloN  Offline OP
User

Dont get me wrong,in about a month I'll have a computer connected to the net. Its only temporary...About the testing,I can get max 10 people for no-more than 15 minutes to test if it runs ok,but thats my maximum,without paying.
I remember what whas my second question,and I NEED answer because it'll save me atleast 2 days of testing,and playing with pointers.
I can send data to a certain client using his entity pointer on the server. Ok , thats for one entity. What if the client actualy created more entities,and I assigned each one of them pointers on the server,to keep track wich entities belong to that client. Can I send something to that client using each entity pointer,instead of using the first entity that the client created ? Or should I create an invisible,non-updating entity on the server for every client,and when I have to send something to that client,I should use that certain entity. I'm a little confused with the entity part in MP , but I'll try to get some movement in my chat room later,or tommorow.

PS.: Because noone will help me,I continued developing my concept,in Bulgarian. I now have all the numbers for the game , Items min/max damage, min/max character health and stats,all the spells and their statistics. How will the damage work,and how will the character absorb/evade/block damage. Explanations in each situation the client can get in I know what I'm doing...I just havent proven it to anyone...

Re: A question to the MP community [Re: EpsiloN] #159928
10/16/07 15:16
10/16/07 15:16
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:

Can I send something to that client using each entity pointer,instead of using the first entity that the client created ? Or should I create an invisible,non-updating entity on the server for every client,and when I have to send something to that client,I should use that certain entity.

The second option is the best. That way, you can create as many updating entities as you want and each client will only have one "address", that of the non-updating entity.

So you will end up using the entity pointer, but only the non-updating one.

Re: A question to the MP community [Re: fastlane69] #159929
10/16/07 15:36
10/16/07 15:36
The Netherlands
E
Excessus Offline
Expert
Excessus  Offline
Expert
E

The Netherlands
In A7, you don't need the entity pointer. Use the client_ID instead.

Re: A question to the MP community [Re: fastlane69] #159930
10/16/07 15:45
10/16/07 15:45
EpsiloN Offline OP
User
EpsiloN  Offline OP
User

I'm not using A7 yet,I'm waiting for it to become stable ,because of what I've heared A7 is a little buggy in C-Script
What I ment for the entities is...For example a player builds a house,the entity is created by the client,and the pos & 'player created' id is sent to the server. The server receives everything and creates the building at the certain possition,and assigns the ID to a certain skill,and also assigns a certain free pointer to it for later use (for example house1374). (This ID is the same as the players ID , wich is generated by the server when the game starts. It'll be stored in a database,and always be used for this certain client) Later , if I want to send data to the builder of this house , can I send it thru entity pointer 'house1374' instead of using 'playerxxx' pointer? Will the client receive the data?

PS.: After assigning the building a pointer all skills will be set to 'nosend',and a MySQL database will be used for updating periodicaly this building.(For example if a client is near enough to the house,it'll update for example every 4 seconds,thru the MySQL server for buildings).What I'm trying to do is to have the server update to the clients if a certain character is attacking a building,and send data to the client who created that building,but imagine I dont know his number,I havent assigned ID,it comes to sending the data to the client not thru the character of that client,but instead thru the pointer of that building...

Re: A question to the MP community [Re: EpsiloN] #159931
10/16/07 17:26
10/16/07 17:26
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
The problem I see with this system is that if the player creates the building, then when the client logs off, the house is destoryed. This could be awkward for other players around or in the house when the creating player logs off.

Better to have the server create the house and that way it's independent of whether the player is logged in or not.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de