by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (degenerate_762), 1,098 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
ball physics #15954
08/03/03 00:12
08/03/03 00:12
Maine, USA
J
Jason Bryant Offline OP
Jason Bryant  Offline OP
J

Maine, USA
This is a small ball rolling project that I have been working on.

Arrow keys: move the ball
mouse move: moves camera
left mouse button: jump
right mouse button: fly

game issues:
1. Occasional collision problems. These have been greatly reduced since adjusting my gravity to more earthlike conditions. However, if you apply force on the ball somewhat perpendicular to a wall, the ball will spin through the level.

2. Odd bounce sometimes upon landing. Sometimes the ball will land and you will spin to the side instead of continuing in the same direction.

Thanks to ventilator for the skybox.

link: http://home.maine.rr.com/twomansoftware/rollyourown.zip

Jason

- please let me know of any problems or suggestions. Thanks.

Re: ball physics #15955
08/03/03 00:31
08/03/03 00:31
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
We're happy for you really we are.....

but.....

This is the wrong forum....

this belongs in the showcase forum....

Re: ball physics #15956
08/03/03 00:35
08/03/03 00:35
Maine, USA
J
Jason Bryant Offline OP
Jason Bryant  Offline OP
J

Maine, USA
I posted here because this isn't really anything that I'm trying to showcase. I simply wanted to demonstrate physics and physics related issues that I've been having (collision).
The ball does demonstrate nice physics for so easily programmed. The ball is moved solely using the phent_addcentralforce command once per frame, so it's nothing fancy. I have been impressed for the most part with the physics engine. However, I still want to try to help show problems that I am having as to (hopefully) help towards their being improved. I assume if I am having particular problems that others probably are having them as well.

Jason

Re: ball physics #15957
08/03/03 01:25
08/03/03 01:25
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Dude, not to burst your bubble, but most anyone who visits this forum (physics scripting) can do what you did.

You're not presenting a new technique, nor asking a question, nor posting some insght onto the physics engine.

You say that this will demonstrate the problems with the physics engines yet you pose no new questions, no new bugs, and no new issues.

Everything you mentioned is a well known issue.

So Again, while you're intent may not be to showcase your project, by my understanding of the forums (and I could be 180 degrees wrong on this), this belongs in showcase not here.

Re: ball physics #15958
08/03/03 02:17
08/03/03 02:17
Maine, USA
J
Jason Bryant Offline OP
Jason Bryant  Offline OP
J

Maine, USA
If you could provide me with a link of these known issues that would be great. If you had read the first post you would see that I've asked two questions. I am not aware of any post by Conitec in reference to spherical physics objects spinning through level blocks. I am also unaware of any post referencing the odd spin that the ball receives sometimes on landing. If you could provide something useful in reference to these, that would be great. By the way, who is the "we" that you are speaking for? You should use "I" not "we". Also, I'm sure that the moderators are quite able to make their own decisions without your useless thrash posts.
I don't understand what you mean when you say burst my bubble.

thanks for reading,
Jason

Re: ball physics #15959
08/03/03 02:31
08/03/03 02:31
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
As to your issues, look at you're own past post about objects sinking "Methods for reducing collision problems?" and spinning "unknown spinning". Like I said, you ain't said nothing new, not even to yourself! [Smile]

My first impression of you post was that you were showing off your current physics project and you were simply listing the issues that came with it. Near as I can tell, these aren't questions. Questions usually end with a ? or require a reply, thing neither of you points asked. You're points weren't phrased in the form of a question, you asked nothing specific about these points, and merely ask us to " please let me know of any problems or suggestions. Thanks. "

Sounded to me like someone showing off his work rather than a person with specific question.

I wasn't aware that your post was merely summarizing the ideas of two of your previous posts.

Sorry for the misunderstand, but be more specific in the future. Just some advice, nothing more, nothing less.

Peace out.

Re: ball physics #15960
08/03/03 05:22
08/03/03 05:22
Maine, USA
J
Jason Bryant Offline OP
Jason Bryant  Offline OP
J

Maine, USA
I posted not only to describe the problems I have had, but rather to provide a demo showing them. I am hopeful that a work-around or solution will present itself to minimize the problems.

@fastlane69: Basically all you have done in this entire post is attempt to be annoying and insulting IMHO. If you have nothing to say in regards to the actual topic, why reply at all?

Jason

Re: ball physics #15961
08/03/03 05:46
08/03/03 05:46
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

looks like marble madness! [Smile] i also thought about doing a project like this because it could be done very nicely with the physics engine...

do you apply a force or torque to the ball?
did you try to make the level geometry thicker?

code:
         |
| block2
*|
--------++--------
|
block1 |
|

for example block1 should be very thick and block2 should be expanded further down.

* is the ball

i noticed the second problem in my experiments too, but it didn't bother me much because if the ground has a grass texture for example, it could be a little stone or something which causes the change of direction! [Wink]

Re: ball physics #15962
08/03/03 08:04
08/03/03 08:04
Maine, USA
J
Jason Bryant Offline OP
Jason Bryant  Offline OP
J

Maine, USA
This is the player input:

code:

// reset the force vector each frame
force.x = 0;
force.y = 0;
force.z = 0;

//allow control of ball if on the ground...
if (ground_dist > 0 && ground_dist < scale_dist)
{
if(key_cuu)
{
vec_set(temp.x,camera.x);
temp.z = player.z;
vec_diff(force.x,player.x,temp.x);
vec_normalize(force,power); //force vector points from camera to player at length of power
}
if (key_cud)
{
temp.z = player.z;
vec_inverse(force);
vec_normalize(force,power);
}
if(key_cul)
{
temp.z = player.z;
force_ang.pan = 90;
vec_rotate(force,force_ang);
}
if(key_cur)
{
temp.z = player.z;
force_ang.pan = -90;
vec_rotate(force,force_ang);
}
}

and the movement code is:

code:

function movePlayer()
{

//increase gravity force if not in a jump...
if (jumping == 0)
{
force.z -=10000;
}

// apply force to player
phent_addcentralforce(player,force);
}

I have tried with thick blocks, but haven't had better success with them. [Frown] Since adjusting the gravity, as I've mentioned before.. the ball going through the blocks is more trivial than it used to be.

I'm not sure how to approach the spinning problem. I would like the ball to continue in an easily forseeable way though. Any ideas as to prevent the odd spin reaction?

thanks,
Jason

edit- I did try using torque at one point to see how well that would work. It didn't work as well as using force. It seemed to pull to the right actually. Marble madness was great! [Smile]

Re: ball physics #15963
08/03/03 08:24
08/03/03 08:24
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

it's really strange that the ball begins to spin and penetrate the level geometry that way. maybe you should ask marco about it.

but i am quite sure there are workarounds for this problem. try to play around with ph_setcorrections (try 20000, 0.01 for example) or the parameters (like friction) of the ball. try to avoid that a force gets applied when the ball collides with a wall.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de