by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Edgar_Herrera, VoroneTZ, Akow), 973 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 26 of 32 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 31 32
Re: The Disenfranchised... [Re: Error014] #13896
03/22/07 06:16
03/22/07 06:16
Melbourne, Australia
Matt_Coles Offline

User
Matt_Coles  Offline

User

Melbourne, Australia
I'd like to know as well as this has been one of my favourite game projects I've seen on this site. Wintermure looks very interesting and I'm working on an adventure game but have to decide etween Wintermure or 3dgs 6

Re: The Disenfranchised... [Re: Matt_Coles] #13897
03/22/07 07:05
03/22/07 07:05
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

@Matt: A6 is a solid engine for adv. games, and there are plenty of realtime adv. out there. 2.5D games can be done with A6, but there's some work involved to do it, and for me it isn't worth it; thus the switch to something that does it out of the box. Of course, if I knew of a way to pull it off in an easily reproducible manner, I'd stick with A6/A7.

I suppose you could do it with Blender and vent's MDL7 exporter. You would build your level and create a render. You'd then add in the hidden collision hulls and export only that. It would simply be a matter of slapping the render on the side of a block, placing it the correct distance away from the camera, and placing the collision hull so that all of the geometry lines up correctly with the background. The problem, though is dealing with parts of the background that the player can walk behind. You'd have render out a separate sprite and place it in the appropriate place in the level away from the camera and still line up correctly with the background. That's the tricky part, and it can be a hassle.

Sorry, I'm depressing everyone. I'd say my own personal 3DGS fave is still Adventure in Pocia. Everyone should try that out at least once. I learned a lot from that's project's code.

http://zio.echoshift.net/?page_id=5

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: The Disenfranchised... [Re: Orange Brat] #13898
03/23/07 09:21
03/23/07 09:21
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

As many of you are already aware....I am both an imbecile and a moron. And, worse, yet I am an indecisive, burnt out, wannabe game designer with game as art ambitions and strong opinions regarding this and that and everything in between.

Now, with that bit of sarcasm out of the way....

I'm back where I belong. There's nothing wrong with where I went, but my momentary lapse in judgment has now passed, so for the second time I will continue on with this bugger using 3DGS.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: The Disenfranchised... [Re: Orange Brat] #13899
03/23/07 09:27
03/23/07 09:27
Berlin
EX Citer Offline
Expert
EX Citer  Offline
Expert

Berlin
Welcome back! The female brain is indeed a mysterium.

:L
Re: The Disenfranchised... [Re: EX Citer] #13900
03/23/07 09:51
03/23/07 09:51
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

I do dabble in a bit of cross dressing (I'm kidding) and have been called Republican scum, but I don't think I've ever been accused of being female before. LOL

EDIT: I just checked...it's all still there....

Re: The Disenfranchised... [Re: Orange Brat] #13901
03/23/07 13:03
03/23/07 13:03
Earth
Germanunkol Offline
Expert
Germanunkol  Offline
Expert

Earth
... you're just talking about the files for the game, right? and your 3dgs version, off course? ^^

~"I never let school interfere with my education"~
-Mark Twain
Re: The Disenfranchised... [Re: Orange Brat] #13902
03/23/07 13:16
03/23/07 13:16
H
HeelX Offline
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline
Senior Expert
H

I'm glad that you stay on Acknex 6/7/42/whatever

Re: The Disenfranchised... [Re: Orange Brat] #13903
03/23/07 14:44
03/23/07 14:44
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

As many of you are already aware....I am both an imbecile and a moron. And, worse, yet I am an indecisive, burnt out, wannabe game designer with game as art ambitions and strong opinions regarding this and that and everything in between.

Now, with that bit of sarcasm out of the way....

I'm back where I belong. There's nothing wrong with where I went, but my momentary lapse in judgment has now passed, so for the second time I will continue on with this bugger using 3DGS.

Wow, back within two days? Sweet! [sarcasm]Wintermute can't be thát bad, right? [/sarcasm]

Quote:

No, actually there's nothing wrong with WME. It's an excellent engine.

Good to hear that, perhaps I'll use it too one day. I've made a Max Payne 1 mod based around Full Throttle and I have some vague plans of converting it to 3dgs or WME,

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: The Disenfranchised... [Re: PHeMoX] #13904
03/23/07 14:55
03/23/07 14:55
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

No, actually there's nothing wrong with WME. It's an excellent engine. I just have invested too much time and resources into the 3DGS version. Plus, I'm so familiar and comfortable with it that it would be stupid to scrap it.

It was an odd week (month actually).

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to integrate my player movement code into Intense Pathfinding, so I don't have to use the templates that comes with it. I've tried this before and failed. This is my weak area. I'm also working on UI, but I keep coming up with designs that look more like 90s design and Se7en art then 1940s Noir.

EDIT: I've managed to integrate IP into it, but it's not 100% stable. In fact, it's more like 50%. He turns and moves but there's no physics, friction, or gravity, so no stairs or ramps, yet. Animation states/blending are broken, too.

Re: The Disenfranchised... [Re: Orange Brat] #13905
04/08/07 22:44
04/08/07 22:44
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Control style....

I have a pretty good direct control mechanic implemented into the title. If you want to experience it then click in Master List in my signature and d/l the first thing on the list. I can't recall what it's defaulted to, but that is one of several schemes. You'll have to adjust some VARs to use the rest. Of course, I'm not using a behind the player camera.

Anyway, I've managed to half-ass implement a point and click solution based off of Intense Pathfinding. It's working but not a full implementation quite yet. This leads me to what will be most likely be the method used in the final product.

It's basically a 3rd person version of the Myst style method. In those games it's 1st person, but you click on hotspots and a video clip plays that transitions you to the next node (in old school Myst it actually faded out and faded in to the next "room").

Well, I'm not doing that, I'm keeping it real time. You will not be able to directly control the character. You aren't going to be able to directly move him to an arbitrary spot. I don't see the point in doing this given it's not an action game. I'm more concerned with storytelling and presentation.

The player will be presented with a number of hotspots including places to go (exits) and interactive objects. If you click on an object, you will either be presented with a description (if it's the Look option) or the player will walk to it and interact with it in some way. If you click on an "exit" he will walk that way and go to the next room or another part of the existing one (the camera will follow or there will be a quick cut depending on the specifics of that camera).

This is nothing new in 3rd person adventures, but it isn't necessary common in modern 3D and 2.5D games (more prevalent in old school 2D). I thought of this scheme a long time ago, but I recently replayed The Adventures of Willy Beamish (now that old school) and it uses this setup. I like it, and it eliminates a lot of potential problems. My target tolerates direct control but mostly prefers P&C. Intense Pathfinding is great, however it has a few quirks, and I don't have the knowledge to fix it up. This is a compromise and eliminates a few problems that could come up with collision detection and the like, and I'm fine with it. I know there will be some bitching about this, but this is how it's going to be.

BTW, I posted a couple new characers hots in the other thread....

http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/729519/

Dan is working on the first female character...my femme fatale more or less. Andvari is slaving away on animations. There are going to be a lot of animations, and I'm bound and determined to make him hate me and that character (just kidding) by the time I'm through.

Page 26 of 32 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 31 32

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de