by flink. 04/14/24 07:46
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (MadJack, AndrewAMD, Quad), 540 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin, rajesh7827
19046 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 19 of 32 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 31 32
Re: The Disenfranchised... [Re: Orange Brat] #13826
05/21/05 07:19
05/21/05 07:19
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Another quickie info post just to say that this thing is still alive and kicking. I've come up with some pretty nice story ideas or at least concepts and am going to start writing again to get it where it needs to be. The original long plot is going to get chopped up and condensed into a short story and will be 1 of however many individual tales are told in this anthology.

I've pretty much gotten my frontend(menus, splashscreen, UI, save/load system) complete or at an advanced enough stage that I don't have to worry much with it. I have a fairly cool idea for boxart(cover) and will work on that whenever I get in the art creation mood.

For the new people, here are some really old screenshots. This is not necessarily how the game will turn out now that I've taken a turn down adventure game alley. I'm going to rebuild a lot of stuff to reflect the new style I have in mind. More actual textures, more crazy angled geometry. That Metronome game is a fairly close approximation of where I've always wanted to take this but with my own touch reflected in it:

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: The Disenfranchised... [Re: Orange Brat] #13827
05/21/05 07:29
05/21/05 07:29
New Brunswick, Canada
Ayrus Offline
Serious User
Ayrus  Offline
Serious User

New Brunswick, Canada
Glad to see it is still alive... havn't seen nor heard boo from this in a long long time.

The new shots are looking good (Also, do I spy the infamous 3DGS Guard model ). The last shot is my favourite, it has that abstract adventure style that is key to any adventure game.

Regards,
Ayrus

suprised my account is still active....
Re: The Disenfranchised... [Re: Ayrus] #13828
05/22/05 18:38
05/22/05 18:38
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Yeah, these old shots still have the guard in them. I've since replaced him with a new test model with a few more animation frames and bones based. I've managed to implement some nice blending between animation states so there's none of that snapping from a stand to a walk or from a walk to a run and vice versa. It also has a nice head turning mode and turns to look at flagged items whenever the player passes by. I had quite a bit of help getting all of this implemented, although I did work on a portion on my own. Thanks go out to those who lent me a hand(they know who they are ).

Hopefully, I will be able to find the right camera angles for each section. The shots, above, are not final nor is anything else about them. As soon as I crank out some of these story ideas, I hope to begin on the level design again. I've had some personal garbage goings on here in the real world, and I just haven't felt up to it. I think the ol' calling is returning, though.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: The Disenfranchised... [Re: Orange Brat] #13829
05/22/05 18:46
05/22/05 18:46
Jesusland
Towelie Offline
Serious User
Towelie  Offline
Serious User

Jesusland
I love the screen with the broken wall. I'm trying to do something similiar and I must say, your much better than I am at doing this.

Game looks really unique too, what kind of game? Argh fine, I'll go back and read the whole thread

Jimmy died, today, he blew his brains out into the bay, in the state of mind, its my own private suicide. A stitch in time saves nine... what the hell does that mean?!?
Re: The Disenfranchised... [Re: Towelie] #13830
05/22/05 18:59
05/22/05 18:59
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

It's an adventure game but it will be direct control(keyboard/gamepad, etc) instead of point & click. It will consist of multiply stories, puzzles, and character interaction. This title started out as an action title and a mixture of Mafia, Max Payne, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, etc but has evolved into a more pure adventure. It'll be more like The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits than a straight up horror show, now. It'll still maintain the black & white palette and still be set in the 1930s/40s.

That should save you a lot of reading.

Oh, if you want to learn how to do nice weathered walls/floors, then get yourself a copy of Max Payne 2. I learned a lot from those levels.

Re: The Disenfranchised... [Re: Orange Brat] #13831
07/03/05 07:04
07/03/05 07:04
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Quick update: I have designed a new city area, on paper and going to start in on it today. It will incorporate many of the areas I have showcased over the year, and it will be only part of a much larger cityscape. Instead, of creating a vast city that is spread over a large area, I'm going to create one that goes *up* and is more vertical. It'll contain many levels/floors and won't really have traditional streets. Lots of bridges and wear and tear. I'm also readjusting those older levels so the texturing process will be less painful. These areas will be a nightmare to texture given the complexity, so it is paramount that blocks conform to some kind of standard power of 2 dimension.

Re: The Disenfranchised... [Re: Orange Brat] #13832
07/21/05 19:28
07/21/05 19:28
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

I can't say who it is, but I have brought a texture artist onboard. This should relieve some of the pressure on me and allow my time to be devoted to level creation and scripting. Once we get a few "completed" environments under our belt, I'll have to start thinking about those silly model things. I have someone in mind to work on the character models, but that will be a pay situation, so it'll be a while. They're good, though so I don't mind. I can probably handle non-characters myself...I've had satisfactory results with that....I just don't like the whole skinning process.

Anyway, if they want themselves known, they'll come out of the woodwork and showcase something every now and again for the purpose of community critique of their work.

Re: The Disenfranchised... [Re: Orange Brat] #13833
08/22/05 11:01
08/22/05 11:01
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

All right, a very quick update. I'll be passing off one of the main structures to the texture guy, and then we'll just have to see what happens. If you recall that apartment hallway with the arches, from many many months back, it's that one although with an exterior and tweaked on the inside. Of course, it'll be fully textured instead of my tonal style. I still like that, but I'm bored with it and it's a bit too esoteric to continue with, although maybe here and there.

I'm having to actually work within fixed sized geometry, so I'm having to alter my usual way of working. It wasn't an issue using 16x16 flat color textures.

Here's a piece of sloppy, gel pen on legal pad concept art. I like it, although I'll Disenfranchise style it up when I finish the first pass. That water tower will be a lot bigger, and there sure are a ot of stairs in this frickin' city.

Re: The Disenfranchised... [Re: Orange Brat] #13834
08/22/05 11:06
08/22/05 11:06
Finland
Inestical Offline
Rabbit Developer
Inestical  Offline
Rabbit Developer

Finland
wow nice concpet

"Yesterday was once today's tomorrow."
Re: The Disenfranchised... [Re: Inestical] #13835
08/24/05 04:31
08/24/05 04:31
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Getting there. I changed the type of roof and had to think for a minute when it came to building it. I'd never attempted that style before, but it turned out nicely. It has a nice smooth, curvy slope towards the street, too. This is probably 80-85% complete. I need to figure out what to do with the crap around the windows(placeholder) and the doorway area(placeholder). Also, have to think about the sign and doing something with the "belt" that goes around tje middle of the building. It's the only piece of normal geometry on the building..the rest have been Disenfranchised up.

These are WED shots:

Page 19 of 32 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 31 32

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de