by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Edgar_Herrera, VoroneTZ, Akow), 973 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 7 of 32 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 31 32
Re: The Disenfranchised... [Re: bupaje] #13706
09/18/03 06:42
09/18/03 06:42
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

I'll think about it when I get to the little details part. The sky in the shots will only be used with the interior level and a new one will be used for it's exterior. There is going to be a time lapse between the two sections, but there will be a tad of the sunset left when outside. This is a compromise since sunlight looks terrible where it hits my buildings. It's the jaggies and scaling the textures down only makes the jaggies smaller and more numerous. Scaling up is a blurry mess. Sunlight on the inside looks much better, however. It's simply an eyecandy thing, I could have this section take place at night if I wanted(most of the game is at night).

I noticed that the pro version has "high res" shadows. What exactly is the advantage of this over non-pro versions?

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: The Disenfranchised... [Re: Orange Brat] #13707
09/19/03 18:51
09/19/03 18:51
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Here are some shots of the re-interpreted, yet still incomplete, interior I mentioned a couple of posts ago...the lighting is basically finished, though I haven't added many details to the structure. I think the atmosphere is nice in this current form.

Lit entirely with a dim, low angle sun and 2 exterior lights. The lantern in the top image is swaying thanks to the physics engine, though that is not the final model. Its motion will be determined by a random wind system, assuming I come up with a viable solution. I will also add lightrays coming from select windows and dust particles will be visible in areas where these rays are placed.

Any comments are appreciated as always.

<removed>

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: The Disenfranchised..demo.. [Re: Orange Brat] #13708
10/21/03 15:29
10/21/03 15:29
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

<demo post moved to first and last post>

Re: The Disenfranchised...interactive walkthrough.. [Re: Orange Brat] #13709
10/21/03 21:41
10/21/03 21:41
Finland / Helsinki
Don Pedro Offline
Don Pedro  Offline

Finland / Helsinki
Wow, looking great. I really like the mood and you have done great job with cameras so far!
The biggest challenge is to adjust all the "action" in a way that player won't be in trouble if he is fighting etc. near camera changing points.
In my pc the lightning was ok -> no too dark areas.
btw. I was able to see "through" wall in one place but probably you have this under control already.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by Don Pedro; 10/21/03 21:42.

The only place where success comes before work - is dictionary.
Re: The Disenfranchised...demo.. [Re: Don Pedro] #13710
10/21/03 21:44
10/21/03 21:44
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Which wall/camera was a problem? To my knowledge, I fixed all of those. Actually, there's one angle in level 1 where the camera will move into a wall, but that is because I have collision detection disabled on that particular orbit camera. I haven't completely resolved that section.

As for how I will handle enemies..you're right..that is one of the trouble areas of these types of games. I am going to implement some kind of lock on system and the camera will change to a more standard 3rd person camera in these situations. Kind of like a Zelda lock on. I already have the code that will achieve this(the lock on), but have yet to apply it. This will come much later, most likely.

Re: The Disenfranchised...interactive walkthrough.. [Re: Orange Brat] #13711
10/21/03 22:10
10/21/03 22:10
Finland / Helsinki
Don Pedro Offline
Don Pedro  Offline

Finland / Helsinki
Quote:

Which wall/camera was a problem? To my knowledge, I fixed all of those. Actually, there's one angle in level 1 where the camera will move into a wall, but that is because I have collision detection disabled on that particular orbit camera.

As for how I will handle enemies..you're right..that is one of the trouble areas of these types of games. I am going to implement some kind of lock on system and the camera will change to a more standard 3rd person camera in these situations. Kind of like a Zelda lock on. I already have the code that will achieve this(the lock on), but have yet to apply it. This will come much later, most likely.

I checked it again. I have pictures of the exact place but I have no web space at the moment and one cannot attach pictures into a PM so I try to explane
If you go right from the big square and pass the funny shaped "pillar" You come to a well lit house (only one floor) and face the wall just on the left side of the door you "see through the wall". For some reason it changes camera. Sorry about my bad English. I've got the pictures anyway if my "map reading" doesn't make any sence.

The only place where success comes before work - is dictionary.
Re: The Disenfranchised..demo.. [Re: Don Pedro] #13712
10/21/03 23:58
10/21/03 23:58
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Oh yeah, I know what you're talking about. That's a very dark alley, and the angle changes when you go down it. I'll add a temp light and reupload. I completely understand how you could think something was wrong there. Like I said..it's work in progress(WIP).

Re: The Disenfranchised...demo.. [Re: Orange Brat] #13713
10/22/03 15:02
10/22/03 15:02
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

I was checking my daily bandwidth usage just now. Assuming I'm reading it right, it appears that one person(out of around 80-90 new thread views) has downloaded the "demo"(thank you Don Pedro), since I posted it around 24 hours ago. I realize 24 hours isn't that long ago, but only 1 download has me scratching my head, since 9 times out of 10 a download post generates at least some response from the community in a few short hours.

To all who are interested, I'd appreciate it if you could take a look at it. See about 5 posts up for information and the link.

Re: The Disenfranchised...demo.. [Re: Orange Brat] #13714
10/22/03 15:13
10/22/03 15:13
Margaritaville (Redneck Rivier...
myrlyn68 Offline
Senior Expert
myrlyn68  Offline
Senior Expert

Margaritaville (Redneck Rivier...
I think it has more to do with the stealth link you put in.

I had looked earlier, but the demo was no where to be found (silly me I looked at the start of the post). I assumed you had removed the link to do changes or what not. I just found it in the middle of the page, some what hidden.

Take a look at it tomarrow, as the only constructive criticism I can offer right now is it needs more coffee and a comfortable bed in the corner.

Virtual Worlds - Rebuilding the Universe one Pixel at a Time. Take a look - daily news and weekly content updates.
Re: The Disenfranchised...demo.. [Re: myrlyn68] #13715
10/22/03 15:18
10/22/03 15:18
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Here's a 2-level 3rd person walkthrough for everyone to try out. This is hardcore WIP and nowhere near complete. Anything is a candidate for change, and I'm just after some FEEDBACK, since I'm still fairly early in development. If you are familiar with the series Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Alone in the Dark, or Nocturne, then you will be familiar with this.

It's around 2.28MB and defaults to 1024x768:

http://www.orangebrat.com/thedisenfranchised.zip

Controls: Standard WASD to move and mouse to rotate the player. "W" will move the player forward no matter which direction it faces

To get to level 2, simply walk into the front door on the bottom floor. Also, there is a hallway in the front door corridor and you'll miss it if you walk immediately to the door.

Known issues:

1) Quantization error artifacts - those little, shadowy rectangular boxes are everywhere. JCL is working on something that should eliminate them.

2) Controls - currently it uses standard Resident Evil style controls. Other options are being considered as alternate methods

3) The dark - Yes, it is supposed to be THAT dark. Let me know if it is so dark that you can't see anything. If there is glare on your monitor it makes it harder to see, so the darker your surroundings the better. I will probably give the player a lightsource and/or implement gamma correction for the player to change. Simply adding more to the global ambient value destroys the mood I'm after, and ambience must be handled on a per face basis

Last edited by Orange Brat; 10/24/03 00:58.

Page 7 of 32 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 31 32

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de