Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
Help with plotting multiple ZigZag
by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
M1 Oversampling
by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, TedMar), 1,031 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Re: Bible apologetics [Re: Kinji_2007] #117420
03/17/07 16:48
03/17/07 16:48
analysis paralysis
NITRO777 Offline
Expert
NITRO777  Offline
Expert

analysis paralysis
Quote:

lol Cute.. now explain how God spoke and things appeared. BTW, did you go back to Antiquities yet? I know, I know.. I'll say it for you... "Yes Kinji, your right. Jesus is mentioned in Aniquities." lol

Not only is "the antiquities of the Jews faithfully rendered in e-sword, but it is also the same in every other rendition I have found both Christian and secular. Here is a direct link to a secular book where anyone can look for themselves...
http://www.globusz.com/ebooks/Jews/00000046.htm#3 The passage occurs in paragraph 3

Re: Bible apologetics [Re: Kinji_2007] #117421
03/17/07 16:51
03/17/07 16:51
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

I know, I know.. I'll say it for you... "Yes Kinji, your right. Jesus is mentioned in Aniquities." lol

It's obvious that yóu didn't look in Antiquities, but I'm not going to beg you to look for yourself, you probably would say they've edited the real document or something crazy. e-sword or BibleWorks != Antiquities, Nitro.

Quote:

With God all things are possible.

And thát my dear friend is an assumption based on a idealised and wishful image. You define your God as if its almighty, omnipotent and what more, but defining something as being something doesn't mean he actually has all these properties in practise, even íf he would exist after all! It's 100% silly to say that anything is possible because he is God. Because why? What makes you think so? I'll say it for you; you believe so, that doesn't make it true though. Infact, if God would have wanted us to believe in him, he would have made damn sure we would.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Bible apologetics [Re: NITRO777] #117422
03/17/07 16:57
03/17/07 16:57
Coppell, Texas
Ran Man Offline
Expert
Ran Man  Offline
Expert

Coppell, Texas
@ PO Guy
Let me give you some advice.

Anyone who crys about the injustices commited generations ago are wrong! So, stop being so negative against people!

I never killed any witches.
and I didn't make your wife cry neither.

You cannot go around condemning whole groups of people for something that happened generations ago!

The "hate white people" crowd have their BW film clips from the 50's and 60's.

The "hate japanese people" of yesteryear have their film clips of pearl harbor getting bombed.

If anyone wants to hate germans, I'm sure film clips can be found of thousands of soldiers "goose step" marching in front of hitler.

You cannot provide even one film clip.

So, stop slamming people for something that may have happened so long ago. It is IMMORAL to do so.

It took my father 50 years to buy a japanese car. The reason was "pearl harbor". He died in that toyota in an accident later.

Summary:
You're supposed to help people down here!
When you dig up stuff that happened generations ago, you are not helping anyone.

Stop being a picky "nitwit" and start being happy and positive.

Remember to HELP somebody. If you go around tearing people down, then you just make a hell down here.

Cougar Interactive

www.zoorace.com
Re: Bible apologetics [Re: PHeMoX] #117423
03/17/07 17:42
03/17/07 17:42
analysis paralysis
NITRO777 Offline
Expert
NITRO777  Offline
Expert

analysis paralysis
Quote:

It's obvious that yóu didn't look in Antiquities, but I'm not going to beg you to look for yourself

huh? At first I thought it was some misunderstanding or miscommunication, but now I am beginning to understand that you just cant get it. Thats too bad, I feel bad for you, but I'd like to help you if I could, so I will be around if you need me.

Quote:

Infact, if God would have wanted us to believe in him, he would have made damn sure we would.

Well at this point I dont expect you to understand the simple logic, but I will try to explain it anyway: God cannot force anyone to believe, God could force you to know, and one day He will, but He cannot force you to believe. It is a fundamental difference between the word 'believe' and 'know', but at this point, I dont think your capable of seeing the difference. However I explain it to you because I like you

So therefore God cannot make sure we would believe in Him--it is contrary to the definition of 'believe'.

Re: Bible apologetics [Re: NITRO777] #117424
03/17/07 19:40
03/17/07 19:40
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

but now I am beginning to understand that you just cant get it.

This is starting to get ridiculous and nope I'm not offended. I've done some comparing of sources (in a library), I even quoted a text stating the exact same, I came to a conclusion and suddenly I don't know what I'm talking about or I don't 'get' it? Funny people, seriously.

Quote:

Well at this point I dont expect you to understand the simple logic

To be honest, I don't expect to understand anything based upon pure faith, irrationalism and untruths.

"God can not..." , okey .., that's part of a problem with this. Did you have a conversation with him and ásk what his limitations were or what rules he is bound to? Nope. If it's in the bible, than it must be true? No, as stated many times, the bible's intergrity is questionable at least and even íf the bible is accurate, how could we know it is? So it's legit to question it and demand for evidence.

Okey, so now you say I do not understand something because I do not 'believe', right? Well, that's something I seriously do not comprehend indeed. The difference between believing something and knowing something is something I do understand. When you have faith, you believe something to be true without evidence. Infact, 'believing' something is very close to 'wishing something to be true' on the emotional level.

'Knowing' something on the other hand is a tad more serious (you can actually prove it) and there's a lot about what you 'believe' (but in reality kind of imply to 'know' because you 'believe' ( -> that's essentially what you've blamed me from not to and thus I 'wouldn't understand') ) that's simply not known.

I hope you'll understand my problem with your logic.

Quote:

So therefore God cannot make sure we would believe in Him--it is contrary to the definition of 'believe'.

Okey, so God according to you wants us to believe, but he obviously doesn't wants us to know, eventhough he could. Well then, please consider the following:

If someone tells you something and you have no reason to trust that person because you don't know anything about that person, would you still 'believe' in what they are saying as being the truth ?? Infact, you hear something about another person fróm another person who has written something in a book, two persons you don't know and also two persons for whom you have no reason to believe in that what they are saying in true and not made up. Infact, you've got some evidence and knowledge that sheds some serious doubts onto what they are saying. It's really no option to 'believe in them anyway', at least not without some superserious doubts, remarks ánd questions that need answers before believing anything.

Moral of the story? In my opinion religious people base their beliefs on something they call 'knowledge' which is not based upon evidence so technically it's no knowledge at all, but still claim it to be exactly that. Ultimately if you want to convince someone, you have to come up with rather good reasons for them to 'believe' in you. First and foremost you have to gain their trust, second you've got to provide evidence and third you'll have to proof others are wrong. None of this is provide by God, so God doesn't want us to know, nor believe in him.

Cheers

Re: Bible apologetics [Re: PHeMoX] #117425
03/17/07 21:22
03/17/07 21:22
analysis paralysis
NITRO777 Offline
Expert
NITRO777  Offline
Expert

analysis paralysis
Quote:

that's essentially what you've blamed me from not to and thus I 'wouldn't understand')

No, I didnt blame you for something you didnt or wouldnt understand. We showed you a total of 3 different Antiquities manuscripts which contained references to Jesus and you rejected all of them with no counter evidence at all except for some vague statements about some scholar who refuted them.

What scholar?
Where are YOUR sources?
What research did you do?
What is your counter evidence?

You have provided nothing, nada, zippo, zero sources showing that the Antiquities passages are faulty.

This was the only problem I have with your logic. If you cannot show proof of a disagreement then you really should not dispute it all.

You keep saying "check the antiquities" yet you refuse to show us a version of the antiquities which you are looking at.

This is dissappointing because you usually seem to be pretty rational.

Re: Bible apologetics [Re: NITRO777] #117426
03/17/07 21:49
03/17/07 21:49
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

You keep saying "check the antiquities" yet you refuse to show us a version of the antiquities which you are looking at.

I'm not in the library at the moment, so I can't provide the author of my source (the scholar) even if I wanted to. What I'm basically saying is that the Antiquities in e-swords is indeed faulthy, I came across this by simple cross-referencing of what my particular source stated and what's actually inside e-swords. There are at least 12 points where things are added inside e-swords which belong to the extra interpretation and which are not part of the exact translation. It's a bit tough providing proof now the library is closed, apart from that I would rather see you having found this out by your self.

I'm actually surprised that not more of this can be found on the internet, but I do recall that the particular book was quite new though. (it's book 7 of some sort of 'biblical encyclopedia' thing with quite a lot of scholars sharing their thoughts, infact both in favor and against usually. In case of Jesus as historical person, they all question if the socalled evidence may be linked and some evidence seems to be faulthy, like I wrote earlier on.)

Quote:

I thought for a moment you had gone to the jcl school of debate. Or worse, it seemed as if you had also gone to the dreaded Aufderheide school of debate I am glad you have not drifted too far into the dark side.

Lol, no don't worry hehehe,

Cheers

Last edited by PHeMoX; 03/17/07 22:18.

Re: Bible apologetics [Re: PHeMoX] #117427
03/17/07 22:14
03/17/07 22:14
analysis paralysis
NITRO777 Offline
Expert
NITRO777  Offline
Expert

analysis paralysis
Thank you. At least thats something. Thats the only reason why I said "you wont get it" because I didnt understand why you kept saying to check the antiquities when I thought I had already done so objectively.

It also doesnt help that when you explain something to jcl which he does not like, he simply ignores it. He asks for explanations, then when he gets one he claims that birds can fly through solid vaults while at the same time condemning us for being irrational.

I thought for a moment you had gone to the jcl school of debate. Or worse, it seemed as if you had also gone to the dreaded Aufderheide school of debate I am glad you have not drifted too far into the dark side.

Re: Bible apologetics [Re: PHeMoX] #117428
03/17/07 22:49
03/17/07 22:49
K
Kinji_2007 Offline
Kinji_2007  Offline
K

I thought I would share this for anyone who doesnt know. Antiquities mentioned Jesus without a doubt two times.. not one.

Book 20 Chapter 9 close to the top reads like so..

"Festus was now dead, and Albinus was but upon the road; so he assembled the Sanhedrim of judges, and brought before them the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James, and some others, [or, some of his companions]; and when he had formed an accusation against them as breakers of the law, he delivered them to be stoned: but as for those who seemed the most equitable of the citizens, and such as were the most uneasy at the breach of the laws, they disliked what was done"

Other sources that say he existed. C+P

Tacitus (A.D. c.55-A.D. c.117, Roman historian) mentions "christus" who is Jesus - Annals

"Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular."

Annals

Pliny the Younger mentioned Christ. Pliny was governor of Bithynia in Asia Minor. Pliny wrote ten books. The tenth around AD 112.

"They (the Christians) were in the habit of meeting on a certain fixed day before it was light, when they sang in alternate verses a hymn to Christ, as to a god, and bound themselves by a solemn oath, not to any wicked deeds, but never to commit any fraud, theft or adultery, never to falsify their word, nor deny a trust when they should be called upon to deliver it up; after which it was their custom to separate, and then reassemble to partake of food—but food of an ordinary and innocent kind."

The Talmud

"On the eve of the Passover Yeshu was hanged. For forty days before the execution took place, a herald went forth and cried, "He is going forth to be stoned because he has practiced sorcery and enticed Israel to apostasy. Any one who can say anything in his favor, let him come forward and plead on his behalf." But since nothing was brought forward in his favor he was hanged on the eve of the Passover!"

Lucian (circa 120-after 180) mentions Jesus. Greek writer and rhetorician.

"The Christians, you know, worship a man to this day—the distinguished personage who introduced their novel rites, and was crucified on that account. . . . You see, these misguided creatures start with the general conviction that they are immortal for all time, which explains the contempt of death and voluntary self-devotion which are so common among them; and then it was impressed on them by their original lawgiver that they are all brothers, from the moment that they are converted, and deny the gods of Greece, and worship the crucified sage, and live after his laws. All this they take quite on faith, with the result that they despise all worldly goods alike, regarding them merely as common property."

At least admit the evidence is there to prove he existed. Thats a start. :-)
I didnt ask you to admit that he was the Son of God... just that maybe he did actually exist.

Last edited by Kinji_2007; 03/17/07 23:06.

http://www.geocities.com/carapacedweller/kinjis/Tutorial_Index.html A5 and A6 tutorials <> E3S series "Show me once and I got it, tell me once and I'll think twice."
Re: Bible apologetics [Re: Kinji_2007] #117429
03/17/07 23:03
03/17/07 23:03
Japan
A
A.Russell Offline
Expert
A.Russell  Offline
Expert
A

Japan
Yes, I bet watching a good stoning could prove to be a little distastefull for those of weaker disposition. Good old Jesus, or Christ or James or whatever he was called for dobbing those scally-wags in!

I am going to see if I can get some of those larger lego blocks and get some mates around to start on my tower a bit later today. No doubt this will piss God off, so watch out for some fire and brimestone hitting Okayama, Japan in the near future.

Ran Man, if the story about your father wasn't true it would be very funny. It reminds me of a veteran in NZ, whose friends were beheaded by the Japanese in WWII. Later, he had the oportunity to photograph some Japanese tourists, and he purposely aimed the camera low to chop their heads off in the picture.

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite