by juergen_wue. 04/20/24 18:51
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, howardR, 1 invisible), 777 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea
19048 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: multiplayer limits with 3dgs [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #107078
01/20/07 17:11
01/20/07 17:11
Canada, west coast
M
MarkMcFear Offline
MarkMcFear  Offline
M

Canada, west coast
@Michael: I have been an owner of 3DGS since A4, I am hardly talking through my hat. I simply posted here because Prence of Darkness asked the same questions I was asking 3 years ago. He is getting, in effect, the same answer I got back then. I thought I should clarify the response with some solid facts. I spent over a year and a half working with the A5/A6 network code, and if my findings were incorrect all I would ask to refute those findings is a working demo that allows 20 people to connect to a single server and run around without cratering their FPS to 1. Your demo does not allow that. Fastlanes working physics example allowing multiple people to view a physics interaction is not the same as even a handfull of people physically running around and sending their player object updates.

Anyways, as before, there has always been the same old rhetoric that it's all possible, it's just that there are no examples of it working.. Locoweed's work came as close to a success as anyones. I think he actually broke 10 players online with his last round of tests without completely killing the framerate..

The fact of the matter is this, 5 players? 10 players? 50 players? is 50 players enough to run an MMO? of course not.

All that Prence of Darkness is asking is has anyone succesfully made a working MMO base engine with 3DGS. The answer to that is no. Any MMO project that has been attempted with 3DGS has been unable to have more than a base handful of people connect and that is why they moved to third party network solutions.

Please don't worry about convincing me, I am very happy with my current MMO engine which I have load tested with well over 300 connections to a single server (335 I believe was where I started to bottom out). Now those were simple authenticated connections, actually 3D player clients in game I have only been able to get just over a hundred(thats WAN connects not LAN) but not because my server started to get upset, just because I didnt have anymore testers heh. At 118 connected players I was between 20-25% CPU useage and just over 10% network useage.

There is no out of the box MMO solution. My solution is not "out of the box". It took the combined efforts of a lot of people to tweak and fine tune the engine. I am not suggesting for a minute that 3DGS is not capable of multiplayer games, I believe a handful of people have produced 2-4 player games with 3DGS and they work fairly well on a LAN. ( I dont recall a successful 4 player 3DGS game that works over the WAN) Instead of just the usual rhetoric, if someone has a working solution maybe they could post it for Prence to incorporate. If not then it's all just talk.

All the best.
Mark

PS: My post is not meant to slam 3DGS is any way. I have no agenda to forward by posting and it is certainly not my intention to get into a he said/he said argument. I agree to disagree and if someone is successful with making a 3DGS MMO base engine I am sure discussions like this will bring them out and benefit the community. It's simply the honest exchange of where the network code is at that is all I ever wanted. Microsoft stopped working with the DX net code years ago because game developers couldnt make it work under load. It didnt have the flexibility required by current datastream levels for todays multiplayer entertainment titles. Trying to implement DX networking into an MMO is something Microsoft couldnt do with their multi-billion dollar entertainment division. To assume that an indie developer is somehow better than that is perhaps slightly unrealistic.

Sorry for the disruption I leave you all to your work.
Cheers,
Mark

Mark McFear Aakrana: The Forgotten Lands "It's your world now!"
Re: multiplayer limits with 3dgs [Re: MarkMcFear] #107079
01/20/07 17:31
01/20/07 17:31
Red Dwarf
Michael_Schwarz Offline
Senior Expert
Michael_Schwarz  Offline
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
Quote:

I have been an owner of 3DGS since A4, I am hardly talking through my hat.

Me too, so what?

Quote:

and if my findings were incorrect all I would ask to refute those findings is a working demo that allows 20 people to connect to a single server and run around without cratering their FPS to 1. Your demo does not allow that.

Not true, it does.

Quote:

Fastlanes working physics example allowing multiple people to view a physics interaction is not the same as even a handfull of people physically running around and sending their player object updates.

They do not just watch, every single client does also interact with the physics and can move around in the world, even pushing other players and the so.

"Sometimes JCL reminds me of Notch, but more competent" ~ Kiyaku
Re: multiplayer limits with 3dgs [Re: MarkMcFear] #107080
01/20/07 18:12
01/20/07 18:12
The Netherlands
E
Excessus Offline
Expert
Excessus  Offline
Expert
E

The Netherlands
Quote:

and if my findings were incorrect all I would ask to refute those findings is a working demo that allows 20 people to connect to a single server and run around without cratering their FPS to 1.

What does the FPS have to do with the quality of the networking engine? The FPS used to be synchronized to the networking engine, but that was ages ago.. If your FPS is bad, use less polygons for the player models.. If you can't make the distinction between rendering speed and network lag, how are you going to program a multiplayer game (not even an MMO)?

BTW, my game can easily handle 20 players + NPCs running around, chatting, fighting, etc..

Re: multiplayer limits with 3dgs [Re: Excessus] #107081
01/21/07 00:00
01/21/07 00:00
Wade_Adams Offline
Serious User
Wade_Adams  Offline
Serious User

I was in fastlane's public test a good, good while back and we had like 15~20 people in over the internet and there wasn't much lag to speak of. IMHO affording the hardware to do an MMO is more of an obstact than coding the software.

Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament.
Kent Beck
Re: multiplayer limits with 3dgs [Re: Wade_Adams] #107082
01/21/07 06:57
01/21/07 06:57
New York
PrenceOfDarkness Offline OP
Serious User
PrenceOfDarkness  Offline OP
Serious User

New York
I NEVER INTENDED FOR THIS!

All I asked for is what is the proven max amount people have been able to accomplish in a shooter or an RPG.

@MarkMcFear Please don't let the community force you away from this post, it is important to have all points of view. I agree with you very much. I searched long and hard for a demo. I didn't find one. If anyone has a demo can you please provide us NOT with all the top secret code, but with a crappy down graded version that can support at least 10 or so people? I'm very close to spending the 800+ to upgrade to pro, but I can't do so until I'm sure that I wont be wasting my money. SOMEONE please post a working downloadable demo, please. I would also like for conitec to answer not just be but also MarkMcFear who claims to have spent 3000, which to me is no punk change.

"There is no problem that can't be solved with time and determination." -me
prenceofdarkness for instant messages on AIM.

Looking for a model designer
PLEASE, SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE OR EMAIL IF YOU'RE INTERESTED.
Re: multiplayer limits with 3dgs [Re: PrenceOfDarkness] #107083
01/21/07 08:03
01/21/07 08:03
Earth
Germanunkol Offline
Expert
Germanunkol  Offline
Expert

Earth
It would be great if conitec would supply a multiplayer demo for A7.
I think they should. "Office" would work with multiple players, but what I mean is a complete demo, with interacting clients, some particle effects etc. Just to prove to people that it can be done. That would be great. Unfortunately they probably don't have the time...
maybe we should ask George Dan Pirvu (writer of the AUMs) I think he knows pretty much everything about c script, and it would be great of him to code a small-but working demo for massive multiplayer games...

I'm sorry I don't have such a demo. If I did, off course, I'd give you some of the essential code...

Micha

~"I never let school interfere with my education"~
-Mark Twain
Re: multiplayer limits with 3dgs [Re: Germanunkol] #107084
01/21/07 18:19
01/21/07 18:19
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
there are other options, if i remember ghostfacekillah was working on a networking plugin that was doing well, tho he seemed to stop working on it completely... if you contact him, im sure that money that you would use for pro could be used to help motivate him again hell, i'd learn how to use udp, and check it out if i could get $800

Re: multiplayer limits with 3dgs [Re: lostclimate] #107085
01/21/07 19:30
01/21/07 19:30
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
My response to Mark was meant to refute his incorrect statements and was not an attempt at getting into a flame war or to prove "quien es mas macho". Thus I will not rise (or lower) myself to the challenge of "prove this" or "show that". You either believe what I have done or don't... does me no never mind either way.

To answer Prence's question directly, with a single server and nothing else, you will not get more than 20 people in before even a fast computer bogs down. With a distributed server (that is to say all server-side functions are distributed across various computers), we've acheived 50 interacting connections with no loss of FPS and around 5% server resource usage. The only reason we couldn't get more is because we had 50 clients on three computers, one of which was running the server, and we couldn't load more in and got weird glitches from so many people on so few computers. If you read through our posts through the years you'll find this fact well documented: single server=about 20 clients; distributed server = much more than 20 clients.

BTW, it's unfair to pick on Locoweeds tutorial. It is just that: a tutorial, nothing more or less. It's not meant as a full feature optimzed network code much less an MMO backend. It is a way to get a newbie up to speed on how to network program with 3DGS. From there to MMO status is a long, ardous and mostly alone road since there are so few of us who have the time to pursue it.

Trust me, we are working hard at making our client public. Right now we are fighting our offices network topology which prevents us from making our servers public and thus giving a demo. But we are working towards that and once we are ready, you all will be the first to know!

Re: multiplayer limits with 3dgs [Re: MarkMcFear] #107086
01/22/07 06:03
01/22/07 06:03
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

Other testing that has been done (most noteably by Locoweed) allowed 3-4 players to connect and actually move around in a very simplistic zone but they got such terrible lag even after months and months of "tweaking" it was often less than 1 frame per second. I know this because I took part in some of locoweeds testing and even after I abandoned 3DGS for a more flexible solution for MMO development I continued to follow his testing as I am always curious if anyone will ever get it to work.

This is very ammusing to read and I had a great laugh.

I've used Locoweed's Biosphere IV tutorial and with the same code I had no problems letting 10 clients join and play around. So exactly which tests are you referring to? I didn't change any code and it was all over the internet.

Off course, you'd need more people for a MMO, but I simply couldn't try this out with more than 10 people and I wanted to check wether or not 3DGS was suitable for multiplayer games up to 10 people. Well, it's definately suited for it and the comment about getting 1 fps is insane.

If you code a multiplayer game the wrong way, then yés you won't get more than 1 fps when a certain amount of players have joined, but to say all efforts ever made have failed is nuts.

I'd say DOWNLOAD locoweed's 2004 tutorial and try it out for yourself, there's a fully working .exe included.

I know 10 players isn't enough for a MMO, but Fastlane seems to be far when it comes to testing the MMO capabilities of 3DGS and so far his tests have shown that it's possible.

Seems to be your word against the evidence he has shown so far.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: multiplayer limits with 3dgs [Re: PHeMoX] #107087
01/22/07 06:35
01/22/07 06:35
New York
PrenceOfDarkness Offline OP
Serious User
PrenceOfDarkness  Offline OP
Serious User

New York
I'm hoping to be on everyone side in this argument. Personally I like everyone in the community. In my opinion everyone has something important to say, especially after investing 300$ or more in either com or pro ed.

No offence to fastlane or anything but I haven't seen any evidence. Could someone link me to it? Further more, fastlane what where the stats of your server? (RAM, Connection type, Proccessor and so on).

"There is no problem that can't be solved with time and determination." -me
prenceofdarkness for instant messages on AIM.

Looking for a model designer
PLEASE, SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE OR EMAIL IF YOU'RE INTERESTED.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de