Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Help with plotting multiple ZigZag
by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
M1 Oversampling
by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
Trading Journey
by howardR. 04/28/24 09:55
Zorro Trader GPT
by TipmyPip. 04/27/24 13:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (vicknick, 7th_zorro, 1 invisible), 890 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
About women attitudes #101387
12/06/06 23:44
12/06/06 23:44
A
AlbertoT Offline OP
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline OP
Serious User
A

Hello

First of all, I am aware it is a "dangerous" question

Nevertheles I beg you to provide an honest answer based on your actual experience rather than the usual and boring " politically correct " answer

The question is

Do you think that men and women have the same skill for math or in general for science ?

Obviuosly I mean on statistic basis.
It is evident that some women are much more intelligent than a lot of males
It is also evident that such difference, if any, is quite small , but ...

Does a small but noticiable difference exist ?

Some years ago the common argument was "discrimination"
Well it is hard to support this theory nowadays, in opinion.
Think at this claim for a while
There are much more women at high level in a political party or in management than in a scientific comunity
If a woman is busy with children , home etc , it should be the direct opposite
Politics and management are defintly much more time comsuming than research
( meeting, trips , dinners etc )!

That said, you may assume that, in my opinion men, are more intelligent than women ( from a scientific point of view ) but it is not like that
I will explain my theory later on but first I would appreciate to listen to your opinion

Once again, be honest please

P.S.

" Politically correct" people refuse to admit that black people are stronger than white people despite evidence
It does not make any sense to compete togheter in the same Olimpics game

Re: About women attitudes [Re: AlbertoT] #101388
12/07/06 00:01
12/07/06 00:01
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
I think the basic problem is 'generalisation', not discrimination. A certain amount of women are definately very smart, a certain amount of men are also very smart.

I think it's hard to say which sex is the most smartest. In my opinion most statistics on this are very questionable. This may sound politically correct and all, but I'm simply undecided about which sex is the smartest.

When it comes to races though, I think the differences are too small to justify a separation. Would it be unfair to let a Chinese run against an African, just because in theory the African will be the most likely winner? Some sports are definately dominated by people of a certain races perhaps, but that may have other reasons than simply their 'race'. A lot of athletes from Kenia are incredible runners, I think that has more to do with the conditions in their home country they train in.

The conditions to train are excellent, higher grounds and things like that. When you're born in such an environment then you simply have that advantage right from when you're not even able to walk. I think it's easy to forget about those factors, they count too.

Again, perhaps this may sound political correct to you, but I think no race is sumpreme to another, their qualities may infact be different, but not different enough to justify anything,

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: About women attitudes [Re: PHeMoX] #101389
12/07/06 00:14
12/07/06 00:14
A
AlbertoT Offline OP
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline OP
Serious User
A

Obviuosly I was joking about Olimpics games

Re: About women attitudes [Re: AlbertoT] #101390
12/07/06 00:17
12/07/06 00:17
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Okey, sorry, I've missed that . However I do know some people who really think the white race is sumpreme to all other races, so I thought I might aswell comment to it anyway.

Obviously those people are not my friends though,

Cheers

Re: About women attitudes [Re: PHeMoX] #101391
12/07/06 00:39
12/07/06 00:39
Damocles Offline
Expert
Damocles  Offline
Expert

connecting this to races it is not a question about the statistically correct outcome,
anything else than full equality is political incorrect, and cant / is not allowed to be discussed anyhow.

Now women do work on specific tasks differently.
But the women I know from university are quite proficient even in mathematical and
computer sciences. They also have more "emotional" intelligence, to solve disputes,
which helps a lot.

I think it is more a question of interest in a field, where less woman have interest
in abstract mathematical sciences.
The probability to be a really great genius is higher for males, (talking about the very few exeptional geniuses)
but also the probability to be dumb.
This is simply a reason from higher genetic variance due to the X and Y cromosomes.
(where woman have a more stable structure with two X cromosomes)
So in males there is a higher probability for a mutation / variance.

But in the "normal" range, there are certainly as many smart woman as men.

Again, it is more linked to the interest a person has in a field, where simply more
males feel comfortable in abstract sciences.
And beeing good in a field first requires a selfdriven interest in it.

Re: About women attitudes [Re: PHeMoX] #101392
12/07/06 00:41
12/07/06 00:41
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline
User

Wisconsin
I think it has more to do with social conditioning than anything else.

Certainly, men are more logic oriented, whereas women seem to be more emotionally oriented, but that has no bearing on intelligence.

I think women COULD be just as proficient in math and science, but for the way most women are raised it probably just doesn't seem like those routes are a good choice. On the other hand, this is coming from someone who has no idea what the real factors are, that are in play. So I don't know.

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."
Re: About women attitudes [Re: Irish_Farmer] #101393
12/07/06 01:50
12/07/06 01:50
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
I think you're right in a way. If you want to become a 'genius' and granted you've got what it takes genetically, then from quite early on your brain should get enough problems to solve, it almost literally needs 'training' to stimulate the brain to reach it's full potential,

Cheers

Re: About women attitudes [Re: PHeMoX] #101394
12/07/06 03:24
12/07/06 03:24
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Matt_Aufderheide  Offline
Expert
M

I dont think there is much real difference between men and women as far as basic math and science ability. However, i do think that more men are willing to sacrifice some of their personal lives and daily comforts for creative and scientific persuits.

Whether this is cultural or biological I dont know.

Sphere Engine--the premier A6 graphics plugin.
Re: About women attitudes [Re: Irish_Farmer] #101395
12/07/06 04:08
12/07/06 04:08
Beverly, Massachusetts
Rhuarc Offline
Expert
Rhuarc  Offline
Expert

Beverly, Massachusetts
Quote:

I think it has more to do with social conditioning than anything else.

Certainly, men are more logic oriented, whereas women seem to be more emotionally oriented, but that has no bearing on intelligence.

I think women COULD be just as proficient in math and science, but for the way most women are raised it probably just doesn't seem like those routes are a good choice. On the other hand, this is coming from someone who has no idea what the real factors are, that are in play. So I don't know.

This sums it up right here... social conditioning. I'll add that although the logic/emotion tendencies do not affect intelligence, they DO affect how that intelligence is used. It's easier to work in math and science with a logically wired brain. It's easier to work in politics with an emotionally wired brain. It doesn't affect intelligence, but rather the application of where that intelligence is commonly used.

Just my two cents.

-Rhuarc

I no longer post on these forums, keep in touch with me via:
Linkedin.com
My MSDN blog
Re: About women attitudes [Re: Rhuarc] #101396
12/07/06 05:14
12/07/06 05:14
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Yeah, indeed.

Quote:

I'll add that although the logic/emotion tendencies do not affect intelligence, they DO affect how that intelligence is used.

Which is basically why the amount of say female scientists vs. the amount of male scientists says absolutely nothing about either sex's general intelligence.

Quote:

It doesn't affect intelligence, but rather the application of where that intelligence is commonly used.

So, again although very very important in practise, we can't use these kinds of facts to determine which sex is actually 'the smartest'. I think we've simply have to agree that it's either very hard or practically impossible to determine which sex is more intelligent. (especially when we make the distinction between EQ and IQ, both off which are perhaps equal off importance, although it seems to me they do imply a different kind of intelligence factor, but still.)

Cheers

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite