by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,103 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
my first "real" model #83420
07/27/06 03:28
07/27/06 03:28
New England
Rad_Daddy Offline OP
Rad_Daddy  Offline OP

New England
I spent the better part of three hours making this gun as my first "real" model. By real, I mean, I have made your average...box, table, chair, all the easy stuff. This is my first real stab at true modeling.

It is supose to resemble a Beretta 92Series pistol... it looks close to me. Unfortunately, no skins yet, but I was so excited that I finally finished it that I wanted to share now. The trigger and bolt are missing, because they are seperate (for animations).

Because it is my first difficult model, I know I was lax with the polycount. So, please dont laugh... It was only intended as practice, and even though todays games use higher poly-counts than this, I know it could be made with less by a more expierenced modeler.

Poly's: 1179
Vertexes: 590

Here are some pictures... no skins yet.

and this is the refrence pic I used...

Any critique is welcome, thanks for your interest,
Raddaddy

Edit: Here is a very quick skinning job, just to show you. Because this was just a modeling exercise, I never really intended to skin it. However, here it is... only one side is skinned

Last edited by Rad_Daddy; 07/27/06 03:50.
Re: my first "real" model [Re: Rad_Daddy] #83421
07/27/06 03:57
07/27/06 03:57
US
G
Grimber Offline
Expert
Grimber  Offline
Expert
G

US
show non shaded screen shots when showing just the bare poly model

for a first person view, the poly count wouldn;t be too bad as you need the detials being so much closer
I found as I learn modeling is it helps to preplan the model, where you need to make poly connections, extrusions etc. it helps cut the poly count

Re: my first "real" model [Re: Grimber] #83422
07/27/06 10:41
07/27/06 10:41
Antwerp,Belgium
frazzle Offline
Expert
frazzle  Offline
Expert

Antwerp,Belgium
I think that's quite good for your first 'real' model
The poly count is oke for a FPS.
I like the skin, simple but it looks great , only one question
refering to the skin, the size ??
Nice one !!

Cheers

Frazzle

Antec® Case
Intel® X58 Chipset
Intel® i7 975 Quad Core
8 GB RAM DDR3
SSD OCZ®-VERTEX2 3.5 x4 ; HD 600 GB
NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 295 Memory 1795GB
Re: my first "real" model [Re: frazzle] #83423
07/27/06 11:23
07/27/06 11:23
Jesusland
Towelie Offline
Serious User
Towelie  Offline
Serious User

Jesusland
The skin is the picture up there that you see. So its 500 x 344 pixels.
sorry for answering for ya radaddy

Jimmy died, today, he blew his brains out into the bay, in the state of mind, its my own private suicide. A stitch in time saves nine... what the hell does that mean?!?
Re: my first "real" model [Re: Towelie] #83424
07/27/06 11:50
07/27/06 11:50
Antwerp,Belgium
frazzle Offline
Expert
frazzle  Offline
Expert

Antwerp,Belgium
@ Towelie
Didn't think off that

Antec® Case
Intel® X58 Chipset
Intel® i7 975 Quad Core
8 GB RAM DDR3
SSD OCZ®-VERTEX2 3.5 x4 ; HD 600 GB
NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 295 Memory 1795GB
Re: my first "real" model [Re: frazzle] #83425
07/27/06 17:52
07/27/06 17:52
New England
Rad_Daddy Offline OP
Rad_Daddy  Offline OP

New England
Yes, the skin is the refrence picture... again, because this was an exercise in modeling, I wasnt even planning to skin it at all...

Thank you for all the kind words, it did take me a while to get this gun looking right.

@Grimber: Thank you for the suggestion, about planning out my models beforehand. I will definately try this on my next model.

@frazzle: thanks, and yes, for an FPS, I supose it is not that bad, but there are areas that, for the sake of easy modeling, I split flat surfaces into more than two polies, which just creates higher polycount... Hopefully planning will help .

@towelie: No problem, thank you for answering quicker than I could

thanks again to everyone, I supose Ill start something else now, and just keep learning from there.

Thanks,
Raddaddy

"Read not to contradict and confute, nor to find talk and discourse, but to weigh and consider." Sir Francis Bacon www.deckscapedesign.com
Re: my first "real" model [Re: Rad_Daddy] #83426
07/28/06 04:15
07/28/06 04:15
Jesusland
Towelie Offline
Serious User
Towelie  Offline
Serious User

Jesusland
While the model is very good for a first 'real' model, a few suggestions:

You should get used to skinning. Get a program like GIMP if you cant afford something like Photoshop or PSP, and practice the heck out of it. I did what you did and used reference pictures for skins and now I'm re-learning everythign to learn to skin.

Learn to use your imagination more. I'm not saying use a real gun model, but dopnt set the reference picture as the background image in MED. I'm assuming this is what you did whereas the reference picture fits perfectly as the skin.

On the modelling: I dont know if this if for a first person point of view or not, but you should delete unseen faces to reduce polycount. Ones like on the front of the barrel, o nthe bottom of the clip, etc.

Dont get me wrong, Its a very good first model, and what I said is what I'd do differently if I could do that agin *sigh*

[spam] 1.5 thousand posts. I must be a spammer... [/spam]

Last edited by Towelie; 07/28/06 04:16.

Jimmy died, today, he blew his brains out into the bay, in the state of mind, its my own private suicide. A stitch in time saves nine... what the hell does that mean?!?
Re: my first "real" model [Re: Towelie] #83427
07/28/06 04:27
07/28/06 04:27
New England
Rad_Daddy Offline OP
Rad_Daddy  Offline OP

New England
Thanks towelie, for the suggestions. I own Photoshop, but I am very unskilled at making precise graphics. I can create certian effects, that are good for like... dirt, rock, gravle, sand...and so on, but creating precise pictures, like that of a gun, is a real weak point for me.

I have just started a new model, and plan on finishing it 100% (skins, optomized poly's, and multiple models using different polycounts for LOD) Its pretty much the same gun, but now that I know what I did wrong, I am trying to go back and correct it .

Even for the refrence picture, I was still tweaking verticies in the skin editor to get it right. I assume that is what you are telling me I need to learn. Its true, I need to practice skinning, but this particular model was a modeling exercise only, just to get the feel for the editor.

So thanks towelie for the help, I will remake the model, hopefully efficiently using all of the help given to me here.

Thanks again,
Raddaddy

"Read not to contradict and confute, nor to find talk and discourse, but to weigh and consider." Sir Francis Bacon www.deckscapedesign.com
Re: my first "real" model [Re: Rad_Daddy] #83428
07/28/06 21:52
07/28/06 21:52
New England
Rad_Daddy Offline OP
Rad_Daddy  Offline OP

New England
Ok, here is the new gun model, using all the suggestions given to me here. I am happy to say that it went a lot smoother the second time around.

The model is basically the same gun, its a Beretta 92Series Brigadier, so only slight variations that will most likely not show up in the model.

The polycount is DRASTICALLY lower than before. The new count is:

Poly's: 622
Vertices: 316

I am very happy with the results. Here are the pictures...

Thanks again to everyone who helped and gave suggestions. I will most likely post this under contributions after it is skinned and animated.

Thanks again,
Raddaddy

Re: my first "real" model [Re: Rad_Daddy] #83429
07/28/06 23:40
07/28/06 23:40
Yes, I speak English.
MJR_Corp Offline
MJR_Corp  Offline

Yes, I speak English.
Better than my first model (Willy the Robot)
The gun looks pretty good, just a little sharp around the edges of the trigger.
Otherwise, good job.

It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to steal your neighbour's newspaper, that's the time to do it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de