Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
Help with plotting multiple ZigZag
by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
M1 Oversampling
by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 831 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes [Re: Matt_Aufderheide] #77831
06/27/06 02:12
06/27/06 02:12
U.S.
Nadester Offline OP

Expert
Nadester  Offline OP

Expert

U.S.
Matt I'd appreciate it if you don't screw over the one on topic thread in this section Please don't post useless spam/sarcasm.

--Eric
Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes [Re: Nadester] #77832
06/30/06 17:36
06/30/06 17:36
A
Alberto Offline
Alberto  Offline
A

yes, and what is this constant called?

The speed of light

No, it is not the speed of light

It is the : space_time interval

Suppose you have two events and one observer

The distance beetwen the two events is : AB
The time difference beetwen the events is T
In this period the light moves : AC = C*T

An other observer can measure different values of AB and T an consequently of AC
but the value :

AC^2 - AB^2

Is the same for any observer

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes [Re: Alberto] #77833
07/02/06 10:42
07/02/06 10:42
A
Alberto Offline
Alberto  Offline
A

Could the fact that time becoming irrelevant at the speed of light explain why a Creator could have no beginning nor an end?

This is in my opinion a common misconception of the theory along with the other supposed paradox.

The sentence

"I am travelling at the speed of the light "

It does not make any sense

But it make sense, the sentence

"You are travelling at the speed of the light "

All the observers consider themself "still"
The others are moving

From the point of view of all the obsrerver the light will be alwayes travelling much faster
Nobody can "catch" the light

For all the observers there is a beginning and and end
The theory of realtivity does not change our normal perception of the universe, space and time

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes [Re: Nadester] #77834
07/04/06 15:12
07/04/06 15:12
mk_1 Offline

Expert
mk_1  Offline

Expert

Quote:

@Phemox, you can only feel a change in velocity, and thus the accleration would be the only problem. But whose to say you have to accelerate to the speed of light so fast that it is harmful to you? It doesn't matter as long as you get there.

I haven't read the rest of the thread so I dunno if Ulililila already took out his calculator. However assuming an acceleration of 4g we'd need only 88.4 days to reach the speed of light.

Follow me on twitter
Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes [Re: mk_1] #77835
07/04/06 15:52
07/04/06 15:52
Frankfurt
jcl Offline

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
You won't reach the speed of light. But 4g during 88.4 days ship's time will get you to almost 0.75 c. As the time on earth runs faster, after 88.4 days earth time the ship has only reached 0.7 c.

http://www.unendliches.net/german/weite.htm

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes [Re: PHeMoX] #77836
08/16/06 14:30
08/16/06 14:30

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

G forces and time travel are the same thing

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes #77837
08/17/06 01:06
08/17/06 01:06
US
G
Grimber Offline
Expert
Grimber  Offline
Expert
G

US
they have done the atomic clock expiraments with the shuttle ( much faster than an airplane). Thier computers have to actualy adjust for the "time loss" differance between their systems and ground systems to keep them in sync ( not the music group )

the paradox in time travel is funny since the only way that theoreticly possible to exceed the speed of light is to use a gravity well so intenst that light cannot escape it ( a black hole) and slingshot through/around the gravity well ( thus an escape velocity faster than light can acheive )

of course to accelerate up TO the speed of light to do the slingshot, shifts one forward in time. so by the time you slignshotted into the past and decelerated below speed of light ( thus forward in time again as well ) you would ultimatly equal out the passage of time coming out to where you would be passing yourself going in.

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes [Re: Grimber] #77838
08/17/06 15:07
08/17/06 15:07
Japan
A
A.Russell Offline
Expert
A.Russell  Offline
Expert
A

Japan
The other problem would be that you'd become infinitely massive and infinitely small at the same time. At least, I think that's how it works.

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes [Re: A.Russell] #77839
08/17/06 18:56
08/17/06 18:56
US
G
Grimber Offline
Expert
Grimber  Offline
Expert
G

US
yep. thats where it begins to takes theory of relativity beyond physics into philosophy. I always wondered if that was the goal, Einstein was tring to use to scientificly prove the unprovable? Yet its totaly missed by creationist, whom dismiss science because they see it as its intent to disprove their faith.

We, are not 3 dimentional beings, but 3 1/2 dimentions. time being the 4th dimention yet we are locked in a one way linear direction on that dimention. Locked into it because of our physicality.

Now, exceed the speed of light ( which is by all NATURAL physics impossible) we enter the unnatural. as you pointed out the realms of infinate. infinate mass, infinate size ... something our physial form, limited by laws of nature cannot survive ( the atom can't survive the infinate).

what ever is left over is not bound by the laws of natural order, not bound by time, space, gravity etc as we know and understand things. In most societies, cultures and philosiphy, we call that state of existance, the spirit, ghost, imortality, whatever ou want to call it...

so, somehow, death is the instantanious transition from 0 to lightpseed+ ?
afterall many people with near death experiances see a tunnel of light... and seeing figures in the light... and Einstein showed that to travel near the speed of light you would develope a 'tunnel vision' seeing the future, present and past in a tunnel like perception. the tunnel would be blue at the center of your perception then as you reached the edges the color would shift to red, blue is normaly brighter and more intense of a light to our perception then red. so as you die you acceerate so fast your seeing people of your future ( in front of you) , present ( half ways in your field of vision) and past ( out to the edges of your circular vision) all at once as you make the transion to a non physicial existance?

If "I" was a creationist, i would be hot on the trail to pick up where Einstien left off to attempt to prove SCIENTIFICLY life after death and so on...

being that I'm not. I find it very intresting till my head hurts, then I go get a soda and watch Police Academy

Last edited by Grimber; 08/17/06 19:08.
Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes [Re: Grimber] #77840
08/18/06 09:23
08/18/06 09:23
Frankfurt
jcl Offline

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
I don't think that Relativity Theory affects philosophy or religion. It is just an extension to Newton's law of gravity and inertia, no less and no more.

This is different with Quantum Theory, which indeed has a great philosophical impact by introducing concepts unfamiliar to human logic, like the Uncertainity Principle.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite