by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,119 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: An "all purpose database" [Re: frozenbaby] #69298
04/28/06 09:30
04/28/06 09:30
USA
frozenbaby Offline OP
frozenbaby  Offline OP

USA
Hey community;

Well - here is the "alpha" of the database. I am releasing the GUI (frontend) for some analysis. It's functionally. You can create a server and config it. Can't edit it yet and on exit you will get an access violation. I know where it is - as it's a multi-thread application, just have gotten around to a decent exit procedure .

What I am more interested from you is how you like the GUI. Databases are "tricky" and I want to know if you need more in the way of assistance. I have incorporated "wizards" (though not in this release).

The next release will include an "explorer" - ie., you will be able to actually create databases (relational tables) for your server.

Remember - this is the first alpha release more concerned with "user-friendliness" allowing you to see where the project is going. Post any comment or additions you would hope to see. The version release to this community will include two (2) standard databases - 1.) One for a FPS and 2.) One for a RPG.

Enjoy and remember - ignore the access violation on exit

-myKael.

here's the link D.E.L.A (Database Entry Level Assistant)

Edit: Should say - from "Connect" - you will see "Local Server" - bring up the Config - give your server a name, use the start server command and it will be up and running. Check out all the options as it will make a difference as to how you want to set up your server. Just fiddle with it

Last edited by frozenbaby; 04/28/06 09:35.

Some electrons may have been harmed in transmission, but most were caught in the "electronic condom" and recycled.
Re: An "all purpose database" [Re: frozenbaby] #69299
04/29/06 04:34
04/29/06 04:34
Chicago, IL
Marcus729 Offline
Marcus729  Offline

Chicago, IL
frozenbaby,

This is very interesting. The initial Alpha is hard to comment on as there is very little to see in terms of output.

My first comment is the _totray button creates an entry in the tray but it doesn't minimize the desktop window. Also your window does not have a minimize control in the window frame.

I think the window should minimize when you click the _totray button.

I am much more interested when you have the GUI for creating tables. I definitely think you need to have SQl support and a Query tool so you can build your tables, load some data and then run queries to see how it all works.

Just one question, why are you doing this? I have often thought of writing a compiler just for the fun of it but it has always been too much work so I have given up on that.

Anyway, I for one will keep an eye on this and when you have further releases I'll definitely take a look and see how it is going.

Thanks for a very interesting contribution. I look forward to seeing more. If you need some help I would be willing to see if I can help. I have many years of experience in using databases. I have never tackled writing a database engine.

Marcus

Re: An "all purpose database" [Re: Marcus729] #69300
04/30/06 02:14
04/30/06 02:14
USA
frozenbaby Offline OP
frozenbaby  Offline OP

USA
Thanks Marcus for your reply. Yes - little to see in terms of output, ie., just that the server starts and identifies your ports, ect. What I am more interested in now is the GUI - 1) Is it user friendly, 2.) Without being a database "wiz" can the indie game developer understand and MORE importantly implement it.

Eventually for this community it will "house" two standard databases - a RPG and FPS that should meet the needs of most game producers.

I have taken the other comments into consideration and will fix them in the next release shortly. As to why I would want to write a database - not that hard. The core engine uses flashfiler - which I have extensively rewritten for game applications. So I didn't "really" start from scratch. Altho my background is OODBMS oriented - I thought this would really add something to the indie community.

Again, thanks for your comments and for sure - keep your eye out for this. The explorer/table editor is already written. And yes - it supports SQL. As I am releasing a "lite" version here FREE - not sure if the combined indexes/SQL function (such as build key/compare key) will be included in this release. But be assured, it will have more than enough functionally to handle most inventory systems, npc dialogs - ect.

Have a GREAT day.

Michael.

Some electrons may have been harmed in transmission, but most were caught in the "electronic condom" and recycled.
Re: An "all purpose database" [Re: frozenbaby] #69301
04/30/06 03:46
04/30/06 03:46
Nebraska
DarkShadow Offline
DarkShadow  Offline

Nebraska
Ok,

Found a bug, if you open the local-server window while a server is running and don't have a server selected/highlighted in the list, then if you click on the menu on the left you get an Access Violation. I've included some screenshots to illustrate.

This one is where you hit the menu with server selected.

Screen1

This one is when you hit the menu with no server selected

Screen2

Last edited by DarkShadow; 04/30/06 03:52.

It's tough to escape what's all in your head. PORTFOLIO - Here
Re: An "all purpose database" [Re: DarkShadow] #69302
04/30/06 14:32
04/30/06 14:32
Germany, Bavaria
Sinthoras Offline
Sinthoras  Offline

Germany, Bavaria
Hiho
a very useful contribution indeed, but what about the lowlevel data performance? Is the DB able to be accessed many times per frame, like using it with simple infinite string/vec/var tables etc, or will that decrease the fps too much?

Re: An "all purpose database" [Re: Sinthoras] #69303
05/01/06 01:20
05/01/06 01:20
USA
frozenbaby Offline OP
frozenbaby  Offline OP

USA
Actually framerate shouldn't come into play. As the client/server is multithreaded and will communicate either UDP or TCP/IP - and, since you are sending commands (like "insert item", get "last score" - ect) the only thing that will affect framerate is how you, the developer integrate the data into the game; i.e., a new panel to display - ect.

Re: An "all purpose database" [Re: frozenbaby] #69304
05/01/06 10:21
05/01/06 10:21
H
HeelX Offline
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline
Senior Expert
H

Well you mentioned it in your post but I was a bit disappointed to just see an app that serves as a connection tool to a server.. etc. When does your demo consists of the promised database features?

BTW: the gui i snice and I like this moving stuff

Ciao
Christian

Re: An "all purpose database" [Re: HeelX] #69305
05/01/06 12:56
05/01/06 12:56
Virginia, USA
Dan Silverman Offline
Senior Expert
Dan Silverman  Offline
Senior Expert

Virginia, USA
I am not suggesting this is the case (not at all), but I just HAD to laugh when I read the first post. Why? Well, this is being developed in DELPHI and it was promised to be released in a week or so and it is a really amazing app that will allow people to easily create all sorts of things ... it just totally reminded me of TUSC .

No, I am NOT saying this is TUSC. This is just what came to mind. That's all ...

Professional 2D, 3D and Real-Time 3D Content Creation:
HyperGraph Studios
Re: An "all purpose database" [Re: Dan Silverman] #69306
05/04/06 13:52
05/04/06 13:52
Red Dwarf
Michael_Schwarz Offline
Senior Expert
Michael_Schwarz  Offline
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
If you don't belive it, see this.

"Sometimes JCL reminds me of Notch, but more competent" ~ Kiyaku
Re: An "all purpose database" [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #69307
05/05/06 01:33
05/05/06 01:33
USA
frozenbaby Offline OP
frozenbaby  Offline OP

USA
OK - here is the second module - the client "delaXplorer" - this will allow you to create, query (SQL) and manipulated databases. Currently, it is a seperate .exe for debug purposes only - but will be incorporated into the "launchpad"

have fun ... alot there. Go through EACH and report any bugs. Looking forward to bug reports

You can find it here:
both applications

-Enjoy and give lots of feedback so I can include what you want.
-Michael.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  adoado, checkbutton, mk_1, Perro 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de