by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 1,014 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
baked textures for terrains #67297
03/19/06 16:22
03/19/06 16:22
N
Nevr Offline OP
Nevr  Offline OP
N

Ok, I'm trying to get a terrain I create in MAX(with a baked texture) to eventually end up in WED. I've done two different 'trials' with differing results. The first one I imported the terrain and accompanying texture to MED and then saved it as a model. From there I brought the model into WED and the texture came with it. BUT, when I ran the level the terrain didn't have lighting applied to it, i.e. it was lit, but not by gamestudio's lights. I think that probably has something to do with the diff between map entities and models, but I'm not sure...more on that in a minute.

The second trial I made another terrain and brought it into MED, with its texture, and it displays in there fine. However, when I try to bring it into WED (after saving it) it only brings in the mesh. And it also says the level has no geometry, and I can't texture it. Again, I think its a map entity thing, but I can't see how to fix it.

So basically, how do I bring a terrain in and give it dynamic lighting, (or even static lights using wed)? Are there plugins I need? Is there another way I should be importing or saving things?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Edit:

Well, the max2mdl plugin sounds promising, as it specifically says it supports baked textures. Kinda sucks that the trial version only supports 100 faces...but oh well, scaling ftw.

Ok..I've got it so that I can get them to WED textured using the max2mdl plugin, but I still can't get them to show lighting properly. Is there some special way your supposed to bring models in so that they have lighting? The only way I can find to bring stuff into WED is load entity.

Last edited by Nevr; 03/19/06 17:16.
Re: baked textures for terrains [Re: Nevr] #67298
03/19/06 18:00
03/19/06 18:00
United Kingdom
Tozzy Offline
Expert
Tozzy  Offline
Expert

United Kingdom
Hi Nevr, just had a question. Sorry I don't mean to take advantage of your thread for my answers and I'd help you if I knew about WED and dynamic lighting etc but I'm not experienced in that field unfrotunately.

Quote:

Kinda sucks that the trial version only supports 100 faces...but oh well, scaling ftw.

Yea I was just wondering which trial version you were refering to? Do you mean the max2mdl plugin? Which version? 6 or 7?

Would appreciate knowing this and once again, sorry i can't help you. If I could, I would .

Re: baked textures for terrains [Re: Tozzy] #67299
03/19/06 19:45
03/19/06 19:45
N
Nevr Offline OP
Nevr  Offline OP
N

Yeah, the max2mdl trial version. I don't know which version it is, but I'd guess 7 seeing as how I'm using max 7 and it works with it.

Re: baked textures for terrains [Re: Nevr] #67300
03/20/06 23:37
03/20/06 23:37
N
Nevr Offline OP
Nevr  Offline OP
N

Ok, I threw max to the curb for a bit and went to work solely with MED and photoshop. I made a terrain with a heightmap and used the heightmap to create the texture for it as well. It actually turned out pretty good.

So then I saved the file twice, one as an hmp and the other as a mdl.

I brought the hmp into WED and compiled the level. It was black..except for the house. Hmm... So then I went and adjusted the ambient lighting and low and behold there was the terrain, affected by lighting and everything. Except static lights in the level...but oh well, progress is progress.

I tried the same thing with the mdl...but it wasn't having any of the ambient or static lighting.

So, what I'm getting around to is this, are models simply NOT lightable in WED? If so, how do you guys normally get around this? Just "eyeball" it so that the colors and saturations match up (between model and rest of level)?

Also, if anyone could point me to a lighting tutorial, that'd be great..

Moderated by  HeelX, rvL_eXile 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de