Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Zorro Trader GPT
by TipmyPip. 04/27/24 13:50
Trading Journey
by 7th_zorro. 04/27/24 04:42
Help with plotting multiple ZigZag
by M_D. 04/26/24 20:03
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
M1 Oversampling
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:12
Why Zorro supports up to 72 cores?
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
Eigenwerbung
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:08
MT5 bridge not working on MT5 v. 5 build 4160
by EternallyCurious. 04/25/24 20:49
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, 1 invisible), 770 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 23 1 2 3 4 22 23
Re: for doubters of God's existance [Re: PHeMoX] #66446
03/15/06 00:52
03/15/06 00:52
Michigan
ICEman Offline
Developer
ICEman  Offline
Developer

Michigan
Well the fact that we have it set in our mind what God is and what context he exists in says that even if he showed up, or we found trillion year old remains of the being responsible for all creation, we would never know it is or was the creator we all harp over.

Let's suppose we do come across God.. and he isnt Jesus, or Allah (even tho that isnt a name but a word meaning God), and he isn't omnipotent, immortal, omniscient, human, humanoid, or in any way magical, mythical or in exception to the physical universe.. but nonetheless we are looking at the being that created everything we know and see.

Would we know that this is our "God"... or would we dismiss it based on the fact he isnt what we believe God to be?

@Phemox...
Just..wodering about your theory..

If you dont see, hear, smell, or at all sense a tree going to hit you.. does it mean that said undetected tree is not, in fact, about to injur you?

I'm ICEman, and I approved this message.
Re: for doubters of God's existance [Re: ICEman] #66447
03/15/06 00:56
03/15/06 00:56
Israel, Haifa
ROMAC Offline
Expert
ROMAC  Offline
Expert

Israel, Haifa
This may be surprising to the untrained mind, but you don't need a definition of x to prove that x doesn't exist. All you need is to know one or more properties of x, and then you show that these properties contradict one another. Here the properties associated to God are omnipotence and goodness. If you don't believe that these are properties of God, I kindly invite you to refer to a dictionary. It's also true that the problem of evil argument assumes that good agents want to prevent bad things, which in turn implies that good things want to affect the universe. But again, any conception of morality in which good agents don't want to prevent bad things is deliberately using the words "good" and "bad" in a perverse manner. Finally, let me point out that the law of unintended consequences holds no terror for an omnipotent being: if bad things happen latter on, It can just fix them, too.

Re: for doubters of God's existance [Re: NITRO777] #66448
03/15/06 01:05
03/15/06 01:05
Michigan
ICEman Offline
Developer
ICEman  Offline
Developer

Michigan

@ nitro

Accepted science..that is science as dictated by the church and political government... held the flatworld theory..not true science that is exploratory and fact finding.

...about people and their connections..

How do they know it's God? If it says so, how can they know it's telling the truth? How can you know something you don't know the first thing about what it looks, sounds, thinks, feels, or is like?

In truth, God is a fruit whos taste, texture, and appearance we dont know
and wouldnt know if we partaken in it.

I know lots of people who claim to be connected with God, including a good friend.. but in observing him, I would say that the retrograde motion his life that has taken place since being "saved" has more to do with him getting off his butt and excercising more moral discipline and work ethic than any God walking him thru life. Perhaps something has told him to do so, but I would say that he and these people finally realized that their life is going nowhere and suddenly listen to the same voices of influence that we all have which make us decent, prosperous beings.

I have these influences too.. they are called common sense and moral decency. They keep me from being an industrial grade @$$hole and top flight criminal on a daily basis. I dont recall ever having the inclinct to be either. I think I just have the normal dose of right and wrong cognitive ability.

Perhaps they are God-given..but I seriously doubt they are he himself talking .

About natural disasters..

Our increase in natural disasters is due to our abusing our poor planet.. We have made our world the crapshoot that it is for the majority of humans...no superior power is to blame.. only us.

Re: for doubters of God's existance [Re: ICEman] #66449
03/15/06 01:08
03/15/06 01:08
Michigan
ICEman Offline
Developer
ICEman  Offline
Developer

Michigan
@ Romac

Good points..:)

but then the question becomes whether we are looking for a God, the creator, or both.

Obviously we expect the creator to be a God...but what says this is so?

Re: for doubters of God's existance [Re: ICEman] #66450
03/15/06 01:36
03/15/06 01:36
H
hyde5659 Offline
hyde5659  Offline
H

Ok, now, enough empty talking. This is a science forum, so let's talk science, and not loosing our time with religionists. God exists only in our imagination, and in our imagination everything is possible! So let's settle this once and for all, and move on!I wouldn't dream do this, but they made me do it (religionists) with thei mumbo-jumbo.First - let's understand eachother - concept of "God" will always be needed in different sorts of society issues (no question about it), BUT - let's leave religion out of place where it is not needed - the science!
OK!?Second - let's understand eachother that question of MORAL (human values, human logic, human sensitivity) regarding this delicate question of cloning, is something else, and that it shouldn't be confused with religion in any way!... Human moral exists, and it must be obeyed, but not in relation with religion.NOW THIS! Only because you asked for it!PROOF THAT GOD DOES NOT EXIST:Existing means: actually being in some space, occupying some exact space coordinates, settleing upon certain space (else you do not exist by definition).
Everything that exist is somewhere, not nowhere; and being "somewhere" implyes "location" - e.i. existance of something that is "space". Therefore: if God exists, first there must be Space; then: if there has to be Space first, God didn't create it because he didn't exist to create it - because to create something first you yourself must be (exist); Further more it means that at least one thing must exist before God is to be created, and because there is nothing else than "Space" it means that only Space can produce "God" (that is: IF he is to be created). If Space could create complex thing as a "God", why couldn't it create simplyer things such as matter, an everything that we can se existing... So: there is no purpose of the concept of God. Space bears logic in all of it's tiniest pieces, there is no need for unitar logic. There is no GOd.

How many of you think you know me?
Re: for doubters of God's existance [Re: hyde5659] #66451
03/15/06 01:40
03/15/06 01:40
Israel, Haifa
ROMAC Offline
Expert
ROMAC  Offline
Expert

Israel, Haifa
I don't like your disproof, even though it has some point in it.
So what if we define existance as consuming space, maybe God was wrongly defined by stating he "exists".
If you could prove everything must "exist" then your proof would work. (Time does not exist)

Re: for doubters of God's existance [Re: NITRO777] #66452
03/15/06 03:09
03/15/06 03:09
US
G
Grimber Offline
Expert
Grimber  Offline
Expert
G

US
Quote:

And the irony here is of course that it was SCIENCE that held the flat world viewpoint

actualy, it was theologic teachings/beliefs ( even christianity supported this idealogy for centuries) that started the world is flat idea.

its always intresting to see how christianity tries to use scentific methodology to 'prove' god but it ends up being a total controdiction in what realy happens.

they may find very indisputable facts, but then totaly ignore them in favor of a half baked conclusions with no useage of thier actual findings.
they will use totaly theoretical concepts as absolute fact to prove conclusions
they dismiss scientific methodologies that thier findings dispute thier theory in one circumstance but will accept the same exact methodolgies when gives favorable results the next.

'christan scientist' is more of a controdiction of words than 'military intelligance'

Re: for doubters of God's existance [Re: Grimber] #66453
03/15/06 05:30
03/15/06 05:30
Southern California, USA
G
GhostwriterDoF Offline
GhostwriterDoF  Offline
G

Southern California, USA

Science measures temperatures by the presence of heat, or the absence of it.

Does this mean that cold does not exist?

The rivers of time erode away the mountains of existence...
Re: for doubters of God's existance [Re: GhostwriterDoF] #66454
03/15/06 07:37
03/15/06 07:37
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

I've yet to see a prove for god. Inside this thread and the links at least are none.

However I've seen enough idiots believing in god and relying on this fact instead of taking care of themselves - pretty bad idea.

What millions of people think, believe cannot be taken as a proof for the existence.
We've had that plenty of times that millions of people were so wrong... (WAR *hinthint*)

Re: for doubters of God's existance [Re: NITRO777] #66455
03/15/06 09:05
03/15/06 09:05
Lüneburg, Germany
Gnometech Offline
Gnometech  Offline

Lüneburg, Germany
Quote:

And the irony here is of course that it was SCIENCE that held the flat world viewpoint.

I don't quite see what is ironic about it. There is a quote:

"Scientific progress means replacing a theory which is wrong by another which is more subtly wrong."

If you look at the history of science you see that everywhere established theories have been questioned again and again. Take the laws of motion introduced by Newton: they were held to be the "truth" for several centuries, but then Einstein's theory replaced them.

The method of science is to question things, that is *everything*. Of course there are people who call themselves scientists who don't always act like this - that is because people are still people.

The main difference between religion and science in my own experience is that in science it is allowed to question even the most basic laws. In religion there are some things that "should" not be questioned, some "truths" called indisputable.

I don't claim that the scientific method, that is trying to solve a question by experimenting, observing and then formulating a theory, is the best way ever, but it is one that generally worked so far, even though sometimes there are people (again) like this clone-scientist who manipulate their results to gain fame... and I don't intend to put science "over" religion in any way, but the way I see it the thing I mentioned above is one major difference between science and almost every major religion (buddhism excepted - it teaches to really question *EVERYTHING* )

A quote from Terry Pratchett: "All religions are true - for a given value of truth."

So, have fun bashing each other with arguments... better than with weapons I say. Just don't start a "holy" war here, eh?

Gnometech

Download our playable Movement & Interaction Tutorial for 3DGS here:
http://www.puppenheim.org/MITutorial.zip
Page 2 of 23 1 2 3 4 22 23

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite