by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Ayumi), 662 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
automatic screenshots #64470
02/16/06 16:59
02/16/06 16:59
H
HeelX Offline OP
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline OP
Senior Expert
H

I wanted to do a screenshot series of my prototype, but I didnt wanted to play with my hands tapping periodically the screenshot key. So I wrote a two liner which does this for me automatic, so here it is:

Code:

//call once before the main loop starts

function screenshot_series (interval_)
{
while (1)
{
file_for_screen ("screenshot_", int(total_ticks));
wait(-interval_);
}
}

Its not a big deal, but such odds and ends make life easier. Do you know when you rush with your finger to the screenshot key to capture at any moment the perfect screenshot and it was too late? This is the solution... play your game and dig out of the bunch of screenshots you made the PERFECT one.

It works*

Ciao
Christian

*doesnt influence the gameplay with 2 seconds intervals and 800x600 resolution.

Re: automatic screenshots [Re: HeelX] #64471
02/17/06 20:32
02/17/06 20:32
USA
TeutonicDarkness Offline
User
TeutonicDarkness  Offline
User

USA
Quote:

I wanted to do a screenshot series of my prototype, but I didnt wanted to play with my hands tapping periodically the screenshot key. So I wrote a two liner which does this for me automatic, so here it is:

Code:

//call once before the main loop starts

function screenshot_series (interval_)
{
while (1)
{
file_for_screen ("screenshot_", int(total_ticks));
wait(-interval_);
}
}

Its not a big deal, but such odds and ends make life easier. Do you know when you rush with your finger to the screenshot key to capture at any moment the perfect screenshot and it was too late? This is the solution... play your game and dig out of the bunch of screenshots you made the PERFECT one.

It works*

Ciao
Christian

*doesnt influence the gameplay with 2 seconds intervals and 800x600 resolution.

I like this idea... Now if Only I could figure out how to take all
the random screen shots and turn them into a video it would be awesome.

I have thought about for instance making a video showing my
player hand touch the buttons inside my elevator.
( Just hands so it can be re-used)
Then taking this slew of images and somehow converting
it to video.

Sorry not trying to ramble to much off topic..

At anyrate this Is Indeed a great Conribution
no more sore hands!

*** Teutonic Darkness ***

Re: automatic screenshots [Re: TeutonicDarkness] #64472
02/17/06 20:50
02/17/06 20:50
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
maybe you can use windows moviemaker, if you have that, I thought that's installed automaticly with windows? You can individualy place pictures or video's in there, and convert it to a movie. I have never really tried it however, just though to let you know

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: automatic screenshots [Re: Joozey] #64473
02/17/06 22:02
02/17/06 22:02
T
Trev101524 Offline
Trev101524  Offline
T

Adobe Premiere allows you to insert pics, and play them back to back, like a movie. In reality, its a GIF, but you can save it as all the major video formats, so it works out nicely.

Re: automatic screenshots [Re: Joozey] #64474
02/17/06 23:53
02/17/06 23:53
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

maybe you can use windows moviemaker, if you have that, I thought that's installed automaticly with windows? You can individualy place pictures or video's in there, and convert it to a movie. I have never really tried it however, just though to let you know

Yes, this works really great, you can add some effects too with windows moviemaker, it's simple yet effective. You could also place all screenshots behind eachother there and save as movie, it's quite some work though ...

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: automatic screenshots [Re: PHeMoX] #64475
02/18/06 00:20
02/18/06 00:20
H
HeelX Offline OP
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline OP
Senior Expert
H

There is a lag between the two frames when capturing a screenshot. I said, it doesnt influence the gameplay when the interval is long enough and the screen resolution is not too high. I doubt that the ingame screenshot function is fast enough (or your PC) to capture realtime videos. Maybe you can log the whole screenplay and replay it in a lower speed capturing everything.. but then sound is missing as well. Try for ingame capturing FRAPS or similar. (or better: capture it with a DVD recorder, you get no speed disadvantage when you split the VGA signal and record it on a DVD! Later you can cut it very well. So you can play 1 hour without caring disk space or game performance).

Bye
Christian

Re: automatic screenshots [Re: HeelX] #64476
02/18/06 20:35
02/18/06 20:35
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
I have no idea how fast your system is, but lag is very dependent of your system, my system is fast enough for it... I think it was one of the AUM's in which a pretty nice code for recorded cutscenes was, it did just about the same thing; take screenshots and name all the .bmp's accordingly (screen001,screen002,screen003, etc.) and loaded all those screens by c-script to playback the movie. It would be nicer to use all those screenshots to compile a real movie instead. Yes, sound would be a problem, but there are ways to record that too, but basically that would be the hardest to 'solve'...

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: automatic screenshots [Re: PHeMoX] #64477
02/18/06 22:33
02/18/06 22:33
IL,US
FeiHongJr Offline
Expert
FeiHongJr  Offline
Expert

IL,US
I think virdub will import image files and export as an avi... Very handy program I use it for most my video editing. You could also use hypercam to capture your videos... There is an option for sound.. But I havent really messed with it and the few times i did it didnt see to work but it still does a decent job at recording the video.

http://www.freewebs.com/otama_syndicate/index.htm - Each master to his own technique.

- Not me said the bee, Nor I said the fly.

Moderated by  adoado, checkbutton, mk_1, Perro 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de