by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 1,089 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 27 of 40 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 39 40
Re: Game-Edit, news [Re: TheExpert] #52403
01/30/06 09:31
01/30/06 09:31
planet.earth
ello Offline
Senior Expert
ello  Offline
Senior Expert

planet.earth
Quote:

NO chances for me to buy it

i would a lot prefer to buy torque

then do so:)

well, i am a little sad that this will be incorporated into the 3dgs package because i wont buy another expensive pro again (i already paid for a5pro and a6pro, thats enough).
for tripleX and his man this is definately a good thing but for the user, hmm, well. its sad

www.earthcontrol.de
quoted: We want to maintain a clean, decent, American family suited forum look... which means you may post zombies or chainsaw massacres, but no erotic.
Re: Game-Edit, news [Re: ello] #52404
01/30/06 12:23
01/30/06 12:23
Munich, Bavaria, South of Germ...
TripleX Offline OP
Expert
TripleX  Offline OP
Expert

you will be able to buy Game-Edit seperatly (no idea about the price - dont ask for freeware.. even if I wanted to publish it for free, I don't think I would be allowed to do this) from us with much more features (like the mentioned gras generator and sky managment, maybe even a sequence generator + update service and support), around 2 months after I've finished the version of JCL / conitec.

@TheExpert: I don't want to compare myself with the developers of the torque ingame-editor, but I know that they've been working on it much longer than I (and maybe it is more than 1 programmer and 1 graphic-designer).
But never the mind.. Game-Edit 1.0 wont be the last version of Game-Edit.. so lets suprise yourself what comes after it.

thanks for the comments,
Triple-X

Re: Game-Edit, news [Re: TripleX] #52405
01/30/06 12:28
01/30/06 12:28
planet.earth
ello Offline
Senior Expert
ello  Offline
Senior Expert

planet.earth
great to hear that. what that skymanagement about ??

Re: Game-Edit, news [Re: ello] #52406
01/30/06 22:28
01/30/06 22:28
TripleX Offline OP
Expert
TripleX  Offline OP
Expert

hmm what do you want to do in a sky-managment? generally I have no idea what to support, sorry
(of course you'll be able to change the flags/types/layers etc. of every sky, and change the general settings like sky_blend/clip etc., but I'll think more about this topic when I want to start the next version of Game-Edit).

Triple-X

Re: Game-Edit, news [Re: TripleX] #52407
02/09/06 21:18
02/09/06 21:18
USA
frozenbaby Offline
frozenbaby  Offline

USA
I have just finished re-scanning this thread - to reacquaint myself with the tool and it's progress.

To start, a quote from August 19, 2005 (first posting), "At the moment this editor is planed to be free for everyone." Seems like this has changed. With the "information" to-date, it appears it will be included in a7, and available to all other previous versions as a commercial addon. After waiting 6 months, is disappointing to discover the orginal intent has changed, and appears to be a bit "leading" to foster interest for a commercial product.

That being said, doesn't bother me as I would have paided for the editor. Does aggrevate me abit that users were lead to believe one thing only to discover after six months another situation.

I congratulate TripleX on a job well done and certainly don't bemoan him compensation for his excellent work. But now that release dates, updates and general maintenence are being handled by conitec, I will pass. Even if the project continues to be headed up by TripleX, given conitec's past record of slow updates and buggy first or second releases, I will just continue to use the tools that were included when I purchased 3dGS or other commercial tools. Have served me well so far. For what it is, 3dGS is still the best "bang for the buck" gaming system.

At such time that I may consider a7, seems it will be available as part of the package.

As a side note to developers of addons, additions, ect - whether gratus (free) or commercial, I suggest that you post NO information prior to a v.9 beta with less than 10% work to completion. That way, readers here will know that the tool will be available SHORTLY. If once it is released, and additions/corrections are to be made, posters can continue to use the tool while waiting for new implementations; or if the software is to go commercial, users have had the chance to try it and decide if they want to purchase. Creates less confusion. It's the way the "big boys" (profession software companies) do it.

Sincerely.

Some electrons may have been harmed in transmission, but most were caught in the "electronic condom" and recycled.
Re: Game-Edit, news [Re: frozenbaby] #52408
02/09/06 21:41
02/09/06 21:41
Damocles Offline
Expert
Damocles  Offline
Expert

Well, selling the Editor is also an improvemt to is
future quality, as TripleX will/can put more effort to it.

Nevertheless, as long as there is no running demo,
it is hard to discuss about its "bucks to usability" ratio.

Re: Game-Edit, news [Re: Damocles] #52409
02/09/06 22:37
02/09/06 22:37
TripleX Offline OP
Expert
TripleX  Offline OP
Expert

Quote:

To start, a quote from August 19, 2005 (first posting), "At the moment this editor is planed to be free for everyone." Seems like this has changed. With the "information" to-date, it appears it will be included in a7, and available to all other previous versions as a commercial addon. After waiting 6 months, is disappointing to discover the orginal intent has changed, and appears to be a bit "leading" to foster interest for a commercial product.
(..)
Does aggrevate me abit that users were lead to believe one thing only to discover after six months another situation.

Thats correct and I'm sorry I had to change the first proposal (but as I said. At the moment the editor is planed to be free) Tough you shouldn't forget that at first the editor should be a small level editor and mainly a small ingame material editor, which MUCH less features.
This has changed since I work for conitec.

Quote:

But now that release dates, updates and general maintenence are being handled by conitec, I will pass.

Thats absolutly wrong. It depends on me. To calm you down: There is no clause which force me to release the editor after the release of Game-Edit in A7 => The editor will be released when its finished, not earlier and not later.

Quote:

As a side note to developers of addons, additions, ect - whether gratus (free) or commercial, I suggest that you post NO information prior to a v.9 beta with less than 10% work to completion

normally that is also my attitude. But in this special case, as this program will be sold to Conitec I decided to post informations etc. in order to get the customer the chance to suggest features or cirtizice (Example: The 2nd interface which was rejected by the most in this forum. I personally would have used this interface which would have led to a worse product).
Conitec has been often critizied not to read futur posts or not to react on them. While the developing of this Editor I give you the chance to influence the development, and wish you features you want to have (as you also had in the morbious poll).
This wouln't be possible if I post here after version 0.9
BTW: As this Post started, I thought it was the 0.9 Version...
BTW2: I am no big boy. I'm only a hobby programmer

As a sitenote for the people who say that the disposal to conitec will affect the product quality. That is true. But in postive way. Without the "motivation of the money" you would see much less features (like the terrain and many model editing features) and much more bugs.
Freeware is fine, no question. But the product quality won't be the same with a com. project.

To the release dates: Everyone who ever programmed a bigger tool, knows that its almost impossible to give exact release dates. I'm working +2 hourse every day atm.
In the future I wont give release dates anymore. Because of the many possible (and inpossible ) problems, because of the many design questions, because of the infintive possiblitys of bugs, and the much features.

TripleX

Re: Game-Edit, news [Re: TripleX] #52410
02/10/06 01:50
02/10/06 01:50
Eastern Washington State
Z
Zio Offline
Zio  Offline
Z

Eastern Washington State
Quote:

I suggest that you post NO information prior to a v.9 beta with less than 10% work to completion.

If everyone did that, there'd be almost no posts on the forum, and the ones that would be posted would be rather boring threads. One of the great things about this forum is getting to see first hand the progression projects take throughout their development. Not to mention that user feedback at an early stage is extremely helpful.

You just have to keep in mind that things can change. Nothing, especially passing comments in a thread, is set in stone.

Re: Game-Edit, news [Re: Zio] #52411
02/10/06 03:16
02/10/06 03:16
USA
frozenbaby Offline
frozenbaby  Offline

USA
Ok ...

software development is about 1.) writing the GUI shell (which is akin to defining what your application will or will not do - like an outline), 2.) writing the core engine to accomplish that which you defined in part 1, 3.) releasing an alpha to a group of testers for examination, 4.) a beta to a larger - most times non-affliated - users and 5.) Release of v1.0. While a forum platform can be used to simulate some of these steps, it is misleading most times to the readers/poster whereas a tangible application in hand is a "hardcopy" that an user can interact with.

I have several applications I have written "in-house" (code named "chyrsalis") that I have used in my game development that I fully plan to release to the 3dgs community. I have finished the GUI (it's being written in Delphi Enterprise) and could release screenshots for your consideration. In fact - here is a compilation .jpg of the GUI - versions 1 and 2. I show these to make my point. Even if I described to you what the app is meant to do and ask for your input, I don't have a working version that I would feel confortable releasing to the community at this point and as such wouldn't start a thread. It wouldn't benefit you or me. Whereas you may look at screenshots and think, that doesn't appear to work or be an effective UI, with the application in hand, running you may then understand the logic and flow behind the design.

Granted, we have a forum for GAMES -> showcase 1. And a WIP game is much different than a tool as levels, lighting, shaders, particle effects ... are subjective. In that respect, input from fellow game developers is welcomed and even cherished. A tool is abit of a different situation in my opinion.

As I said previously, I applaud TripleX for being able to make money. He's done GREAT work in the past. But as even he acknowledges - the original intent (free) has changed. I had the same happen to me, on my post in Showcase II - "the unKnowing". Publisher is now interested. I am under non-disclosure. I announced that to the forum in a post in the thread, and told them there would be no more screenshots or discussions - ect, effectively closing the thread. I know that in December - TripleX did much the same when he announced the tool had been sold and intimated it was bought by conitec (and I might add, an interesting way he did it without violating non-disclosure/contract details). Thread, in my opinion, should have ended there. I had to backtrack from the end (QUITE a few posts later) to discover it had indeed been sold. As I said previously, I would have paid for it regardless.

These again are just my opinions. But I have seen alot of posts here that show this or that for inpending projects, ect with lots of user input and excitement only to find out after getting excited about a potentional useful situation, anticipating for 1,2 or even 6 months that things have changed or are nonexistent. My intent here was to express that and suggest that developers don't post unless they have something more tangible to offer; or create a forum properly entitled, "what I hope to accomplish" so that a reader hasn't any misleading expectations.

Applogize if this appears to be a rant, but I read/review far too many forums expecting things that never come to fruition. Don't want this useful forum to go down that road.

Sincerely.

Some electrons may have been harmed in transmission, but most were caught in the "electronic condom" and recycled.
Re: Game-Edit, news [Re: frozenbaby] #52412
02/10/06 07:13
02/10/06 07:13
TripleX Offline OP
Expert
TripleX  Offline OP
Expert

1) My intend for this project has changed after I sold it too conitec. Of course. Nevertheless I think after this disposal it got much more important to give every forum user the possiblity to give critics and proposals.
Example:
I work until Version 0.9. Now there is one big feature which is wished by many users. It will be impossible to implement it in V 1.0.

Of course, I can not promise you too see every feature.I could die today
I can say you at this time that not every feature will make it into V1.0.

Please don't discuss this in this thread anymore. I wont change the information "service" for this thread for the said reasons.
I think the quality of 3DGS would be much better, if they would accept more feature wishes of the forum-users.

Triple-X

Page 27 of 40 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 39 40

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de