by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (vicknick, AndrewAMD), 1,292 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Car racing game #50464
07/29/05 07:10
07/29/05 07:10
P
plast Offline OP
plast  Offline OP
P

Hi,
We are a small time game development company.

recently we received an RFP to develop a 3d racing engine.

I suggested gamestudio as I knew about this for sometime.

I want some clarifications on the following

1. Can I Develop a good professional quality (realistic physics, collision detection, particle effects, realtime shadows and AI) 3d racing engine using only A6 and a 3d modelling software like 3ds max.

2. Can Havok be used inside A6.

3. A6 pro and commercial versions have a physics engine and in case of commercial version its only 1 object, what does this mean.

4. Can I see some examples of A6 physics and collision detection engine at work.

5. What is Newton.

6. Can I web-enable the A6 output so that it is viewable in A WEB-browser.

Our goal is to use as many less softwares and tools as possible and still achieve the results.

Please help and respond at the earliest as we have to respond to the RFP soon.

Thx

Last edited by plast; 07/29/05 07:13.
Re: Car racing game [Re: plast] #50465
07/29/05 07:16
07/29/05 07:16
Germany
Efrint Offline
Developer
Efrint  Offline
Developer

Germany
ok....

1. Yes, you can develop a realistic car game using A6 pro and 3ds max...

2. Havok....it should be possible....you will "just" have to write havok as a plugin....

3. one physic object means, that only one object is able to behave e-g- like a car at one time...for a car game with AI-cars...i would suggest buying A6 pro...

4. Go at the download page...i saw there a car-game with a buggie...

5. Newton is a physic-engine which you can use as a plugin for every version of 3DGS.

I hope, i could help you....

Regards Efrint

Re: Car racing game [Re: Efrint] #50466
07/29/05 08:29
07/29/05 08:29
P
plast Offline OP
plast  Offline OP
P

Thx efrint for the immediate response.

Nice to know that I can create a realistic 3d racing game in A6.
Can I know what is the level of coding involved in it?

What do you mean by
"Havok....it should be possible....you will "just" have to write havok as a plugin...." - do I have to program some additonal code to use Havok in A6.

"Newton is a physic-engine which you can use as a plugin for every version of 3DGS." - Do I have to code any extra to use Newton again, or its just a case of setting some parameters (like behaviours in Macromedia Director (3d) )- we are looking for a solution which doesnt involve much coding though we have good coding team, as the timeframe is extremely aggresive.

If I buy A6 commercial or pro versions Can I use Newton royalty free?

Please let me know if any other licensing issues that are involved and I have ignored them.

Also please let me know if I can have a web version of whatever I develop in A6.

Thx again.

Re: Car racing game [Re: plast] #50467
07/29/05 09:15
07/29/05 09:15
B
b_102373 Offline
Senior Developer
b_102373  Offline
Senior Developer
B

Quote:

What do you mean by
"Havok....it should be possible....you will "just" have to write havok as a plugin...." - do I have to program some additonal code to use Havok in A6.

As far as I know and at this stage, yes.

Quote:

Newton is a physic-engine which you can use as a plugin for every version of 3DGS." - Do I have to code any extra to use Newton again, or its just a case of setting some parameters (like behaviours in Macromedia Director (3d) )- we are looking for a solution which doesnt involve much coding though we have good coding team, as the timeframe is extremely aggresive.

Newton is a plugin physics engine. It is a .dll that works with gamestudio. So yes you do have to program to use it. Newton is good for people who only have the commercial edition as it is free and has unlimited objects. There are many 3dgs examples for newton at www.physicsengine.com

Quote:

If I buy A6 commercial or pro versions Can I use Newton royalty free?

Yes.

As for the web question. I think no. This would be complicated to set up. You should ask JCL or Doug in the Ask Conitec forum about this. 3DGS only outputs to level files and .exe applications for Windows.

Re: Car racing game [Re: b_102373] #50468
07/29/05 11:55
07/29/05 11:55
P
plast Offline OP
plast  Offline OP
P

Jeremy_D, thx for your response,

Well, thats a bit of a dissapointment that we will have to code to use the Newton physics as well as the Havok pysics engine.
We were looking for a tool which can gives us functionalities like drag and drop behaviours as like in Macromedia Director.
We dont mind to code a few lines but if exceeds into coding for complex physics models we will be out of the scope.

Can anybody suggest here how easy it would be for a developer coding in 3d lingo of director to understand the code for using Havok and Newton physics engine, and also which is the most preferable physics engine Havok or Newton?

Hoping to get some good news.

Re: Car racing game [Re: plast] #50469
07/29/05 12:49
07/29/05 12:49
São Paulo SP Brazil
Marcio Esper Offline
Marcio Esper  Offline

São Paulo SP Brazil
Hi Plast,

Havok SDK to be used with A6 You will need to know C++ and own a Havok licence to use it.

Newton NGD to be used whith A6 you will need know at less c-script and know the DLL, or Know C++ to use the SDK and make your won dll.

For use a A6 physics engine to make a car you will need a professional version.

The both, Havovk and Newton are exelent physics engines.

The A6 physics engine I never use it, but looking in the forum it's apears to be a great engine too. In this case you need to know c-script.

If you do not want code for your self , maybe you can contract a freelancer to make this for you .

best regards,

Marcio

Re: Car racing game [Re: Marcio Esper] #50470
07/29/05 15:37
07/29/05 15:37
Wisconsin USA
FoxHound Offline
Expert
FoxHound  Offline
Expert

Wisconsin USA
I would get A6 pro. You can take the buggy demo's scipts and mod them to anything you need. I made a monster truck demo out of it. Some AI using the same code as well. It's not drag and drop, but it's not hard once you get use to it.

---------------------
There is no signature here.

QUIT LOOKING FOR ONE!
Re: Car racing game [Re: plast] #50471
07/29/05 19:53
07/29/05 19:53
San Diego, CA
M
Marco_Grubert Offline
Expert
Marco_Grubert  Offline
Expert
M

San Diego, CA
Quote:

1. Can I Develop a good professional quality (realistic physics, collision detection, particle effects, realtime shadows and AI) 3d racing engine using only A6 and a 3d modelling software like 3ds max.

Yes.

Quote:

2. Can Havok be used inside A6.

Yes, but before looking into this you should request a price quote from Havok to see if it is within your budget.

Quote:

3. A6 pro and commercial versions have a physics engine and in case of commercial version its only 1 object, what does this mean.

At any given time only 1 object can have automatic physics calculation applied to it. For a racing game you normally need 5 physics objects per car.

Quote:

4. Can I see some examples of A6 physics and collision detection engine at work.

To be found on the download page.

Quote:

5. What is Newton.

A free (?) third-party physics plugin providing similar functionality to Havok or GameStudio physics.

Quote:

6. Can I web-enable the A6 output so that it is viewable in A WEB-browser.

No, A6 is a stand-alone engine that does not run in a web browser and requires a PC.

Re: Car racing game [Re: Marco_Grubert] #50472
08/01/05 04:17
08/01/05 04:17
P
plast Offline OP
plast  Offline OP
P

I hope the physics engine that comes with A6 can alteast solve basic phyics like gravity (If drop something it should fall under gravity).

Rest of the car physics I think we will have to use Newton.

Re: Car racing game [Re: plast] #50473
08/01/05 12:45
08/01/05 12:45
São Paulo SP Brazil
Marcio Esper Offline
Marcio Esper  Offline

São Paulo SP Brazil
Hi Plast,

Quote:

I hope the physics engine that comes with A6 can alteast solve basic phyics like gravity (If drop something it should fall under gravity).

Rest of the car physics I think we will have to use Newton.

No sense that you are talking about.

If you buy a A6 pro you do not need havok or newton to make an car.

Look for in the forum about physics and you will see a lot of car games maded with A6 pro.

If you use just a A6 C and newton, you do not need use the A6 physics.

best regards,

Marcio

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de