by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (RealSerious3D, AndrewAMD, chsmac85, dr_panther, TedMar), 942 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
[SOLVED]WED import and limits #451541
05/11/15 07:29
05/11/15 07:29
JerahYalyn Offline OP
JerahYalyn  Offline OP

I'm just started using 3ds max to make my level since it has more options and gives more flexibility in designing my level. Problem is importing it to WED is a pain both .ASE, 3DS and FBX format. It never import the texture and UV mapping properly. Its either no texture and UV map or It has texture but only one texture is used for all models and it incorrect UV. I also have problem with level models. Is there a proper way to do it both for level blocks and entity type models?

I don't want to export each model and place them manually in WED. Its to difficult to snap one model to another model block or entity.

how the model should look like

how it look when imported in 3ds format

imported in FBX format

same for ASE format but I don't want to use ASE either since I cannot tell WED to import one geometry as a mdl to allow reference model and 3DS centers all the model so FBX is my best choice but UV mapping is not right.

And what is the limit for WED for wed both for Entity, lights, blocks, etc. I read someone saying that is has no limits but some say there is a limit in how many entities WED can compile in one level. I tried it before in A7 and going above 1000 entities give me an error.

thanks.

[SOLUTION]
after hours of trying to figure out what the problem was I then found out that using Real-World Scale in max mess up the texture coordinates when exported since it doesn't export the scaling. Not sure if it's the version of max I'm using which is an old 3DS MAX 9.

Just in case someone else stumble in the same problem, solution is to avoid using Real-World Scaling in max. What I did was set MAX back to Generic Unit, Uncheck Use Real-World Scale in Material, Set Tiling to 1, Use a UVW Mapping Modifier to adjust the texture scaling. Just like setting 1 Unit is to 1 Meter if you are working on precision.

Cheers! laugh

Last edited by JerahYalyn; 05/12/15 15:10.
Re: WED import and limits [Re: JerahYalyn] #451552
05/11/15 11:38
05/11/15 11:38
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
using 24b only textures might help...

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Re: WED import and limits [Re: sivan] #451555
05/11/15 13:07
05/11/15 13:07
JerahYalyn Offline OP
JerahYalyn  Offline OP

The texture I use are only 16bit since the model texture are almost monochrome. I have no problem with the incorrect mapping in geometry that are imported as mdl since I can export the same model in max and import it in MED with proper UV map. That way replacing model with invalid mapping with automatically update in WED. Problem is with level blocks, I tried adjusting the texture inside WED but I really can't get the mapping right. And even if I can I can't imagine doing it one by one in all blocks.

Just an update. The problem wasn't WED. It was 3DS MAX it self. I tried importing the level back in 3DS MAX but same issue. It doesn't preserve the texture coordinates. I'm still trying to figure out how to fix this in MAX.

Last edited by JerahYalyn; 05/12/15 11:56.
Re: WED import and limits [Re: JerahYalyn] #451582
05/12/15 12:53
05/12/15 12:53
JerahYalyn Offline OP
JerahYalyn  Offline OP

Fixed it. laugh

Re: WED import and limits [Re: JerahYalyn] #451584
05/12/15 13:04
05/12/15 13:04
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
What was the reason for your problem/ how did you fix it?

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: WED import and limits [Re: Superku] #451587
05/12/15 14:34
05/12/15 14:34

M
Malice
Unregistered
Malice
Unregistered
M

Another Solution could be to create polygons the size of the texture. If you make a box 512 x 512 with a 256 texture, change it's segments from 1 to 2 will -give a poly face for the texture. Using uvmap - box or uvmap-faces will give you perfect texturing as the face is exactly the size of the texture.

Edit NOTE - This is for exporting from max as fbx - in which case you'll have to export the level piece by piece and reconstruct it in WED.

Last edited by Malice; 05/12/15 14:36.
Re: WED import and limits [Re: ] #451589
05/12/15 15:19
05/12/15 15:19
JerahYalyn Offline OP
JerahYalyn  Offline OP

Originally Posted By: Superku
What was the reason for your problem/ how did you fix it?

I updated it in my first post. It was due to the way I model my level.

Originally Posted By: Malice
Another Solution could be to create polygons the size of the texture. If you make a box 512 x 512 with a 256 texture, change it's segments from 1 to 2 will -give a poly face for the texture. Using uvmap - box or uvmap-faces will give you perfect texturing as the face is exactly the size of the texture.

Edit NOTE - This is for exporting from max as fbx - in which case you'll have to export the level piece by piece and reconstruct it in WED.

that was the first one I tried but it would consume to much time as is should. I also need most texture to tile without additional segments that's why I use exact measurements of textures in meters. That way I don't have to reconstruct the whole thing in WED.

Re: WED import and limits [Re: JerahYalyn] #451592
05/12/15 15:29
05/12/15 15:29
Canadian, Eh
DLively Offline
Serious User
DLively  Offline
Serious User

Canadian, Eh
TIP: Im not sure if you've made up your mind or not with how you're accomplishing placing models in your levels - But I'd recommend chopping your pieces into small chunks rather than 'whole pieces' (Is what I understood from your post).

The reason for this is so when you get into placing lighting into your city, you wont have to chop things up so much later on, causing you to potentially deconstruct your level..

http://www.conitec.net/beta/aentity-lightrange.htm

I hope this is helpful for you, Cheers!
-------------------------------
Any additions to this tip are welcome.

Last edited by DLively; 05/12/15 15:30.

A8 Pro 8.45.4
YouTube: Create Games For Free
Free Resources: www.CGForFree.com
Re: WED import and limits [Re: DLively] #451607
05/12/15 20:06
05/12/15 20:06
JerahYalyn Offline OP
JerahYalyn  Offline OP

Originally Posted By: DLively
TIP: Im not sure if you've made up your mind or not with how you're accomplishing placing models in your levels - But I'd recommend chopping your pieces into small chunks rather than 'whole pieces' (Is what I understood from your post).

The reason for this is so when you get into placing lighting into your city, you wont have to chop things up so much later on, causing you to potentially deconstruct your level..

http://www.conitec.net/beta/aentity-lightrange.htm

I hope this is helpful for you, Cheers!
-------------------------------
Any additions to this tip are welcome.

Thanks. Everything in my level is already cut in to bits and all I have to do is build the level by instancing a model, snap it in to place just like playing lego. When importing a fbx model to WED it gives me an option to pick which geometry is imported as block and which is a model entity. By selecting mdl to main geometry and all it's instance it creates one mdl file for that piece of the level and the rest is just a reference saving me memory and time.

I was looking for the best way to create a level, turns out max is a good one as it allows me to do everything. I just hope I finish this with a decent result.

Moderated by  HeelX, rvL_eXile 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de