by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, 7th_zorro, alibaba), 913 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Halp, What should i do? #447973
01/15/15 13:19
01/15/15 13:19
F
FEL Offline OP
FEL  Offline OP
F

Hello folks,

Im in need of an answer everything is bad...
I have a stable Gamestudio RPG Template now buggy but worth a lot, but now im in trouble... i asked myself where my journy with 3dgs could end and realized: Its not woth to create a Game with an old Engine ONLY for Windows...

So i traveled threw the Web and tried out about a hundred Engine stables: Ending @ Cryengine and a few Ogrestables.

Cryengine and UT both look great and so... but theyre very hard and im missing tutorials to manage them. Also both are restricted to Commercial, wich means u need to pay some green for em... I could pay but i dont know either it would be worth it...

I need a Here and the answer to the Universe, what Engine should i use? What should i do? Or will 3dgs Update? Im bout to jump off...

//Lays down microphone...

FEL - Lead Game Designer & Core Developer
Re: Halp, What should i do? [Re: FEL] #447976
01/15/15 13:46
01/15/15 13:46
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Although it would be certainly nice to be able to deploy on Mac and Linux too, the PC/ Windows platform still has a player base second to none - Steam alone has 100 million registered accounts and at least 75 (%) of them are active users.

No matter what the engine/ product says it's not like you can port the game to various platforms with a single click, there's always more stuff to be done, for example have different Windows, Mac and Linux computers for testing. If you haven't managed creating a complete game for the PC alone yet (no offense!) I wouldn't suggest targeting a release on multiple platforms for now.

Btw. I've moved your thread and "I have a stable Gamestudio RPG Template now buggy" sounds a little contradictory to me. wink

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: Halp, What should i do? [Re: Superku] #447978
01/15/15 15:26
01/15/15 15:26
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
imo check Unreal Engine 4, it gives you much more power and freedom than UDK did. its Blueprint system (visual programming and object assembly) is fun, you have to go through some video tutorial series to get some practice, but the documentation is also improving. just subscribe for a month for 19USD/EUR. its development is awesome, there is always something to test, e.g. 4.7 is coming with a massive foliage rendering speed increase, which was not bad, produced higher FPS than 3DGS Pro in case of many vegetation models placed on a huge 4-testure terrain (under approx. 1000 trees 3DGS was better).

its C++ programming requires more programming skills, I could not start without spending the last few years of Lite-c and 3DGS! I'm experiencing with it sometimes, and now have a vision how to use it for my game (beside prototyping still with 3DGS).

and last but not least, probably you can find active team members easily in future (there are many 2D/3D artists).

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Re: Halp, What should i do? [Re: Superku] #447979
01/15/15 15:35
01/15/15 15:35
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

Originally Posted By: Superku
Although it would be certainly nice to be able to deploy on Mac and Linux too, the PC/ Windows platform still has a player base second to none - Steam alone has 100 million registered accounts and at least 75 (%) of them are active users.

No matter what the engine/ product says it's not like you can port the game to various platforms with a single click, there's always more stuff to be done, for example have different Windows, Mac and Linux computers for testing. If you haven't managed creating a complete game for the PC alone yet (no offense!) I wouldn't suggest targeting a release on multiple platforms for now.

Pretty much hits the mark.

However it is always nice to have the OPTION to deploy to another platform, although this means further adaption.

Let's face the unreality you all of a sudden have a huge success, get requests for porting it here and there, and then are stuck with Windows only platform. While code can always be reprogramed if there is no other way, it... kinda sucks... grin

Re: Halp, What should i do? [Re: FBL] #447983
01/15/15 17:37
01/15/15 17:37
cyberspace
W
Wjbender Offline
User
Wjbender  Offline
User
W

cyberspace
cryengine if I remember is geared more towards fps games , the thing you need to have a good look at is the engine's art and asset pipeline /workflow ,what files it supports and if it has converters you need to look at what external modeling application it supports , if I remember unreal had a better looking workflow and file /modelling applications support and easier inner toolset than the latest cryengine (briefly researched long ago ,could be that my memory fails me) .

and then there's the learning curves to look at etc , ultimately its your own personal opinion and choice .

Compulsive compiler
Re: Halp, What should i do? [Re: Wjbender] #447989
01/15/15 22:49
01/15/15 22:49
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
yeah, if you decide to move, you definitely have to rewrite your whole work laugh

Re: Halp, What should i do? [Re: sivan] #448102
01/19/15 17:09
01/19/15 17:09
F
FEL Offline OP
FEL  Offline OP
F

Im thinking of going to UE, i downloaded the Techdemo, got blown away, rised, got blown away again. So yes UE is the answer to the Universe and the weird noises of my neighbours...

Im sry gamestudio but i had enough. Youre lazy lame and stopped aging...
It was a nize time until a9...

Re: Halp, What should i do? [Re: FEL] #448111
01/19/15 20:34
01/19/15 20:34
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
but be careful, ue4 is not the holy grail. it is a set of complex tools to learn... and lacks runtime terrain deformation support what I would badly need...

Re: Halp, What should i do? [Re: sivan] #448137
01/21/15 08:41
01/21/15 08:41
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
FEL, you seem to be a young and at times slightly naive fella, so... Fuck, I don't know, don't you have a party to go to right now?

Anyways, don't let fancy pictures fool you. An engine is most primarily a tool for you as a developer. What other developers can get out of it might not be what you can get out of it. To make an analogy, people can do the most amazing things with a CNC saw, all I can do with it, if I'm lucky, is cut my fingers off. That is to say, an engine is a tool, it's not the magic pill that makes your game great.

That being said, I do encourage you to switch to something modern and supported. But I would encourage you to look at the tool and not the techdemos behind it. See how it fits for you. Of course you can't learn all engines to a sufficient degree, but take 'em for a spin and see what seems to be able to help you! Because that is the point of a tool, it's there to assist you and build an underlying foundation that you can use to excel your games. If it produces fancy pictures in someone elses techdemo but holds you back in creating your game, it's rubbish.

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Re: Halp, What should i do? [Re: WretchedSid] #448139
01/21/15 08:53
01/21/15 08:53
F
FEL Offline OP
FEL  Offline OP
F

Im Naive yes but im not liteminded, its not only techdemos i look at to choose. There are plensy more things to do before i could ever choose. I would not buy a UE pass before testing the Editor tools @ live. Thats is the problem... Im lacking Ressources not Knowledge. Unreal has its fancy Bluepronts and its lightweight Shaders, the Engine is mostly powerfull and fits from all i read and watched. I have to try and by the way i can do some CNC fancy stuff, cause im a designer not a codingmachine.

And now, Party. and cheese.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de