by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, dr_panther), 1,282 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Newton Physics [Re: slacer] #40739
02/22/05 03:34
02/22/05 03:34
Austin, Texas
Josh_Arldt Offline
Senior Developer
Josh_Arldt  Offline
Senior Developer

Austin, Texas
Quote:

Newton no longer creates for A6 specifically because a user's personal preference for a tool...

Gosh... that really sucks.

Re: Newton Physics [Re: Josh_Arldt] #40740
02/22/05 06:50
02/22/05 06:50
Oz
L
Locoweed Offline
Expert
Locoweed  Offline
Expert
L

Oz
Quote:

Would it help to create a new forum section

3rd party
- WED / MED / Engine plug-ins
- physic - NEWTON, etc.
- AI - Mythic AI, Razor AI, etc
- network - Nocturn, etc.
- Editing/ Import/Export (C4D, Maya, Milkshape,...)
- General tools (this is already there) - everything what does not fit above

I don't know for sure. Maybe Newton questions should just go into the Scripting forum. The problem I see with General Tools, etc sections is that something like Newton actually involves C-Scripting to make it work like a person wants it to. When you see a thread like General Tools or Third Party a person generally thinks people are chatting about a product there, not actually showing how to C-Script to make this product work. Atleast, I never think of General Tools as a section where people are sharing scripts. I always think of that section as just showing links to tools that are available to be used with 3DGS or discussing if the product is worth taking the time looking at, not showing scripts.

I don't know how this should work really, I just feel bad for the people trying to get answers on how to script for Newton.

Loco

Professional A8.30
Spoils of War - East Coast Games
Re: Newton Physics [Re: Josh_Arldt] #40741
02/22/05 10:30
02/22/05 10:30
analysis paralysis
NITRO777 Offline
Expert
NITRO777  Offline
Expert

analysis paralysis
Quote:

Newton no longer creates for A6 specifically because a user's personal preference for a tool..

This is probably the reason why it should not be here. Third party developer's can always opt to bring their stuff elsewhere or cease developing for any arbitrary reason whereas Conitec cannot really do so. What is Conitec supposed to do, create new parts of the forum and shut them down all on someone's whim?

In that case maybe there should have been a layer of the forum specifically for TUSC? ?

Anyway, I couldn't less what they do since they took my precious morbius foreign affairs away I have my own physics things which take less cpu cycles and is more specific for my own project. Physics (Conitec or Newton) is overkill for mine.

Re: Newton Physics [Re: NITRO777] #40742
02/22/05 13:08
02/22/05 13:08
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Rules is rules and it's a poor game designer that doesn't know how to follow rules: The forum clearly states that the Physics Index is for the use of the 3DGS Physics Engine. The Newton Plugin is not the 3DGS physics engine and no matter how good it works or smells or anything, posts concerning it don't belong here and this is by Forum design, not by our whim. If you think this unfair, please note that the same rule would apply to questions from someone using the ODE engine with 3DGS, so don't think we play favorites. I may want to believe that it's the popular vote that counts, but in the end, the rules are rules and George Bush wins...

We are giving solutions; it's just you don't like them. One solution is to post in scripting or general tools. Another is to have your own forum created. Both have advantages and disadvantages but both would permit you to get the Newton message across while not interfering with the 3DGS message. Until Conitec changes the rules on us, we are just following the rules and not making any judgement call by our unwillingness to accept Newton Questions in the forum.

Nobody is saying that Newton is a bad product. Nobody is saying that questions about it and 3DGS don't belong here. What we are saying is there are better places than the 3DGS Physics Forum for it. That's all and that is not an attack on newton. It just belongs in places where they get more exposure to a wider population of users...places where they don't interfere with the natural flow of 3DGS physics information...places that fit the Conitec Forum scheme, nor our own personal schemes.

Re: the continued integration of Newton into A6, it's sad that one persons negative opinion of the plug-in would cause development to stop for that engine. Unless that one person's first intitials where D, J, or M, then that is an awefully petty stance to take and building on Nitro's stance, they then shouldn't be surprised that 3DGS Physics people now take exception to Newton using the 3DGS forums as their own. After all, it's now the 3DGS physics forums that are innundated with with all the questions on how to make this non-supported plug-in work, how to script it, how to make things move under it, why isn't my physics working, etc and all this on a forum dedicated to making the in-house soulution work better, not to make a 3rd party plug in just work!

Can you honestly not see how the 3DGS using, Non-Newton using people on the forums would find this disconcerting and unfair?

And am I being unrealistic in my belief that left unchecked, there will be two newton posts to every one 3DGS PE post? I don't think so...

I think we need to get Conitec to give a clear stance on this issue if I'm in the wrong, but I'm pretty sure that this is an accurate portrayal of the "rules".

Re: Newton Physics [Re: fastlane69] #40743
02/22/05 13:21
02/22/05 13:21
Oz
L
Locoweed Offline
Expert
Locoweed  Offline
Expert
L

Oz
I am not really disagreeing with you, but Conetic needs to inform people where the people who are using Newton need to ask questions or something. Thats all. Look in the General Tools thread and tell me how many Threads you see that actually contain C-Script in there.

I don't have questions on Newton myself, but I could help someone who does if I happen across their questions while surfing the forum, but I am not going to happen across their question in General Tools, because that is not a thread that has anything to do with coding, so I never visit that Forum but once in a blue moon.

Maybe they should just put their question in the Scripting Forum like I eluded to. I really think Conetic needs to clear this up though.

I mean just because someone has a question on how to script Newton Physics doesn't make them a Poster Child.

Professional A8.30
Spoils of War - East Coast Games
Re: Newton Physics [Re: Locoweed] #40744
02/22/05 13:26
02/22/05 13:26
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:

but Conetic needs to inform people where the people who are using Newton need to ask questions or something.

Quote:

Maybe they should just put their question in the Scripting Forum like I eluded to. I really think Conetic needs to clear this up though.

Couldn't agree more. A little more "official" and a little less "opinion" is what this issue needs.

Re: Newton Physics [Re: fastlane69] #40745
05/15/05 00:58
05/15/05 00:58
U.S.
Why_Do_I_Die Offline
Warned
Why_Do_I_Die  Offline
Warned

U.S.
It has already been addressed , sticky states to add [Newton] infront of posts that concern newton , if rules are rules like u say , then thats the rule set by moderators for the forum , so proper place for newton physics questions is here , with the proper [Newton] tag infront of the subject , simple as that slowlane69. Though Newton IS a third person plugin , it's a physics plugin , and since not everyone who owns GS can afford to shell out for the Pro edition , Newton is an ideal solution for many , and being the fact that the game engine being used to make the games is gamestudio , this is the perfect place to find answers to questions one might have , again , there's already a sticky of the proper way to post newton questions , no need for this lame thread slacker , or ur lame comments on the subject assface69.

!!!Viva La Newton!!!
!!!Viva La Newton!!!
!!![censored] El Ass Face!!!

Re: Newton Physics [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #40746
05/15/05 03:10
05/15/05 03:10
B
b_102373 Offline
Senior Developer
b_102373  Offline
Senior Developer
B

Quote:

or ur lame comments on the subject assface69

Please refrain from harrassing another user like that. fastlane69 and Slacer do not deserve comments like that. You will most likely be warned now. This thread was disucssed ages ago in Ask Conitec forum and we have come to a conclusion that we are allowed to post Newton topics here. A moderator has been notified and this thread should be closed.

Re: Newton Physics [Re: b_102373] #40747
05/15/05 23:07
05/15/05 23:07
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Huh...such a vehement reply for such an old post.

Thanks Gun....I smell another warning or ban on the horizon...snifff..snifff...yeaup.....

Re: Newton Physics [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #40748
05/16/05 21:06
05/16/05 21:06
Bay Area
Doug Offline
Senior Expert
Doug  Offline
Senior Expert

Bay Area
Why_Do_I_Die: I'm not sure what caused this attack. We don't allow personal attacks on this forum. If you do something like this again you will be banned.

Just to be clear, the [Newton] tag was added *after* this thread.

Conitec's Free Resources:
User Magazine || Docs and Tutorials || WIKI
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de