by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, alibaba), 1,184 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Strategy and log files not visible #433460
11/29/13 20:10
11/29/13 20:10
--Select a State--
C
CL1 Offline OP
CL1  Offline OP
C

--Select a State--
Hi, this is probably a foolish error on my part. BUT, when I save strategy files and try to find them, on 2 of my 3 Windows 7 machines they are not visible unless I "Save as" and change the name.

Likewise, no log files are visible at all. However, on the third machine, this does not occur.

Any tips on how to correct this?
/CL

Re: Strategy and log files not visible [Re: CL1] #433464
11/29/13 21:00
11/29/13 21:00

A
acidburn
Unregistered
acidburn
Unregistered
A

Turn off UAC!

Re: Strategy and log files not visible [Re: ] #433542
12/01/13 20:30
12/01/13 20:30
--Select a State--
C
CL1 Offline OP
CL1  Offline OP
C

--Select a State--
Hi Acidburn, I did that per your recommendation in my other thread.

Deactivating UAC, rebooting, etc., did fix the "shadow copy" issue. However, log files are still not visible. They must be present since resuming my program in live trading reads open transactions from them.

Any other possibilities?

Re: Strategy and log files not visible [Re: CL1] #433544
12/01/13 20:51
12/01/13 20:51

A
acidburn
Unregistered
acidburn
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted By: CL1
Hi Acidburn, I did that per your recommendation in my other thread.

Deactivating UAC, rebooting, etc., did fix the "shadow copy" issue. However, log files are still not visible. They must be present since resuming my program in live trading reads open transactions from them.

Any other possibilities?

It's been a long time since I fought war with UAC, so I don't remember all details. But you could try:

- moving all the stuff that ended in shadow directory to its proper place, and probably deleting shadow directory alltogether
- doing a full reinstall now that UAC is off (just be careful to manually save anything you care about); to be extra sure, I even deleted remnants of Zorro folder after deinstallation

I remember doing both things, I just don't remember how I won eventually (beside turning UAC off). tongue

To encourage you to keep fighting, after you finally fix your installation, and if you keep UAC turned off, you'll never have any problems again.

Yes, it's a bit painful fighting the OS when you have more interesting stuff to do. But, don't give up!

P.S. Technically, it's Zorro's fault to write to forbidden directories. But, I can also imagine jcl has better ways to spend his time, than to adapt to Ballmer's strange ideas how OS security should be implemented.

Re: Strategy and log files not visible [Re: ] #433558
12/02/13 12:48
12/02/13 12:48
Frankfurt
jcl Offline

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
There are two alternatives to disabling the UAC.

The first one is accepting the UAC and its limitations. Your edited strategies and the log files are then not in the usual folders, but in the UAC shadow folder that is described in the manual. You need to check both folders.

The second method is to install Zorro in your User folder, not in the Program Files folder. That is the preferred method when copying the whole Zorro folder onto a VPS. We're having all MT4, Zorro, and other trading programs in the Administrator folder on our VPS. Dealing with UAC is bad enough with Zorro, but even worse with other programs such as MT4.

Re: Strategy and log files not visible [Re: jcl] #433562
12/02/13 13:41
12/02/13 13:41
D
DdlV Offline
Serious User
DdlV  Offline
Serious User
D

Is installing into the User folder documented somewhere? I seemed to have missed that...

There's actually a 3rd alternative which is to set the Zorro shortcut to Run as Administrator...

However, I don't use MT4 yet so don't know if this works in that environment...

HTH.

Moderated by  Petra