by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (alibaba, vicknick), 1,492 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Where did the 3DGS Community go? [Re: WretchedSid] #429918
09/20/13 13:42
09/20/13 13:42
EpsiloN Offline OP
User
EpsiloN  Offline OP
User

All you wrote seems reasonable at some point, but isnt 3DGS enough to create a great game? I mean, the limitations I've encountered arent that great to send everyone to other game engines...
With an amazing modeller & animator, a 'moderate' coder can make almost 90% of the games that come out as indie or even AAA titles.
I can only think about a few examples that cant be copied quickly and almost bug-free with Acknex.

No, really, someone should do something to attract more newcommers and possibly some of the old guys back... Its pointless to throw so many years of experience and struggling both dev side and our side.

Extensive Multiplayer tutorial:
http://mesetts.com/index.php?page=201
Re: Where did the 3DGS Community go? [Re: EpsiloN] #429920
09/20/13 14:04
09/20/13 14:04
Germany
rayp Offline

X
rayp  Offline

X

Germany
@JustSid
From where the hell u know that much about all this s* ? Just wondering...maybe JustSid is a "Highlander" and thousands of years old. grin

Quote:
With an amazing modeller & animator, a 'moderate' coder can make almost 90% of the games that come out as indie
Signed.
Edit: Ah we forgot about the shader expert ... nowadays.

Would kill for an good ( bored, working 4 free ) model/anim-"artist". Thats why i switched my focus into the arcade direction. I mean i dont aim a AAA 3d Shooter anymore for quite a long time now ^^ ( by experience...guess like every lonewolf-hobby-indy ). Without a great idea for enemys ( fex Left4Dead ) and a model designer u simply cant attract people with those type of games, cause the AAA ( 3dego ) titles are technical master pieces ( at least some of them ^^ ).

Sorry i drifted away. Back 2 Topic...So wheres the community ? Comm...UNITY grin

edit2:
Quote:
No, really, someone should do something to attract more newcommers
This is so f* true that it hurts. If it were my years old product which made its name, maybe i would lie...What ? A frequently used method in any kind of industry if its up to earning money. grin Please dont post now that lying is no solution blabla...that was not the point, i meant i cant understand why 3dgs is getting more and more dusty and why tumblewheed is blowing around the forum.

Last edited by rayp; 09/20/13 15:18. Reason: corrected some words

Acknex umgibt uns...zwischen Dir, mir, dem Stein dort...
"Hey Griswold ... where u gonna put a tree that big ?"
1998 i married my loved wife ... Sheeva from Mortal Kombat, not Evil-Lyn as might have been expected
rayp.flags |= UNTOUCHABLE;
Re: Where did the 3DGS Community go? [Re: EpsiloN] #429928
09/20/13 15:03
09/20/13 15:03
Hiporope and its pain
txesmi Offline
Serious User
txesmi  Offline
Serious User

Hiporope and its pain
Originally Posted By: EpsiloN
With an amazing modeller & animator, a 'moderate' coder can make almost 90% of the games that come out as indie or even AAA titles.

+1

Re: Where did the 3DGS Community go? [Re: EpsiloN] #429937
09/20/13 16:06
09/20/13 16:06
Mainz
oliver2s Offline
Expert
oliver2s  Offline
Expert

Mainz

That's what people don't understand. If can't make a good game with 3DGS, then you also can't make a good game with Unity3D.

Re: Where did the 3DGS Community go? [Re: oliver2s] #429944
09/20/13 16:57
09/20/13 16:57
Germany
rayp Offline

X
rayp  Offline

X

Germany
I bet now the discussion starts about better workflow better this and that... grin

Acknex umgibt uns...zwischen Dir, mir, dem Stein dort...
"Hey Griswold ... where u gonna put a tree that big ?"
1998 i married my loved wife ... Sheeva from Mortal Kombat, not Evil-Lyn as might have been expected
rayp.flags |= UNTOUCHABLE;
Re: Where did the 3DGS Community go? [Re: oliver2s] #429960
09/20/13 19:50
09/20/13 19:50
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Originally Posted By: oliver2s

That's what people don't understand. If can't make a good game with 3DGS, then you also can't make a good game with Unity3D.
I switched 100% because 3DGS is Windows only. I wanted Mac and Linux support, Unity announced Linux support, and I switched.

Android support on GS will be good, for sure, but it's the wrong direction for now. A single game tends to be designed either for mobile, or for computer. Android support is of no advantage to me while I'm making a computer game. Mac and Linux support, on the other hand, allow my game to provide an almost identical user experience to those who happen to prefer a different OS, tapping into markets that are far less saturated with games, yet have many gamers.

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: Where did the 3DGS Community go? [Re: JibbSmart] #429961
09/20/13 20:37
09/20/13 20:37
VPrime Offline
Expert
VPrime  Offline
Expert

I like to lurk around, dont post any more because I no longer use 3dgs. It was a hobby for me, and now my startup takes all my time.

I think the lack of mobile support is hindering 3dgs. A lot of people are seeing success in the mobile space, and it is so easy for an indie dev to have their game in a shop they want to develop for mobile platform, or at least have that option.

Once Unity added mobile support these forums started to die off.

Re: Where did the 3DGS Community go? [Re: VPrime] #429971
09/21/13 10:58
09/21/13 10:58
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

if you are talented, you can still make nice games with gamestudio, even with all its shortcomings. but nevertheless, there aren't many reasons to stick with it. the community is tiny now, other engines are more feature rich and multiplatform,... the future looks dim.

i agree about lite-c. it isn't that great. i would have prefered a clean c-api and one example binding for an existing scripting language. maybe google's V8 or something like that. it would have been much less work for jcl.

i am not sure what advantage lite-c has for zorro? i have haven't really looked into zorro in detail. if i were into this gambling business then i would rather try my luck as a bitcoin miner or something. laugh

Re: Where did the 3DGS Community go? [Re: VPrime] #429974
09/21/13 12:05
09/21/13 12:05
Serbia
Iglarion Offline
User
Iglarion  Offline
User

Serbia
Sadly, over 400 peoples online every day are preaty inactive. Only a few of them are active every day, while others, like guests observe what is happening around here.
But to be honest, nothing big happening now, almost one year passed of last update, for any questions we can already find the answer with search button, and we all waiting new WED and android port. Also there is the thing with switching to the Unity, beacuse of cross platform.
This is not big problem for me because i strongly believe that the forum will liven up soon, after new WED and android port. Then will come iOS port and i think 3dgs will survive this hard days tongue.
Right now i'm very satisfied with my A8, no bugs, i do not need new features, for my game all is perfect.

Re: Where did the 3DGS Community go? [Re: Iglarion] #429975
09/21/13 13:01
09/21/13 13:01
EpsiloN Offline OP
User
EpsiloN  Offline OP
User

I just wrote a really long post, but I'm getting very off topic.
I dont believe Unity is better just because of portability. With the new Windows 8 (about to conquer all devices in the future by what I've seen and heard...) portability wont be the most wanted option, and I tought people knew this.
I've never ever wanted my projects to be compatible with Mac or Linux because Mac and Linux just werent designed for gaming. Windows is designed for user experience, Linux is designed for maximum utility and control (I have almost no experience with Mac)
As for Android, mobile game design is a breeze with its simplistic point-click game mechanics and minimalistic features. Thats exactly why Android games are no fun. People constantly buy new apps with the hope that some app might get their attention, unfortunately mobile apps cant reach PC games in the near 10 years, not by graphics and certainly not by profit.
Dont people know this? The devs should show it, or more like shout it...

PS.: ventilator, oliver2s, havent seen you in years laugh Dont worry, I was never in the spotlight, you cant possibly remember me.

Can someone contact the devs with a proposition to make a promotional AAA title, just to show the posibilities of 3DGS? Even if it is a community project, or certain coders be chosen (who proved their skill in the past) to make such a title to attract the old guys and newcommers. I believe with such a project for showcase many, many game dev companies will switch to 3DGS. And, not to sound too optimistic for nothing, we all gain by this...Flourishing community means more help and jobs/contracts and better new ideas and so on. Possibly more frequent updates and feature requests laugh

I'm hopeless, right? tongue

Extensive Multiplayer tutorial:
http://mesetts.com/index.php?page=201
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de