by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, 7th_zorro), 923 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hey guyse, have a little story #426670
07/26/13 17:24
07/26/13 17:24
Finland
Inestical Offline OP
Rabbit Developer
Inestical  Offline OP
Rabbit Developer

Finland
Hi.

I'm Inestical. Or Wutata. Or whatever. I was an active user here few years back.

I'm here to tell you a little story.

When I was a very young teen, I discovered that you could make games yourself. I was awestruck and started finding things to do things with.

Then I discovered 3D GameStudio, which I still use for prototyping and testing game ideas (occasionally completing a small game). I first started using it just about after A6 arrived, so I'm, in a sense, a late addition to the system's userbase.

While doing projects that never amounted to anything and generally just being interested in the editors and doing nothing with them, I was met with another user, called centralnoise. I found out he was also a finnish developer and after some random messaging we started working on a lot of projects, most of which were testing etc. Then we made X-Cube 2, which was awesome, because it was the first ever game I finished. It was featured on our local magazine's website for a week.

Eventually we began working on our own engines, mainly with OpenGL. Centralnoise, being smarter than me, created amazing results in small timeframe, while I dragged behind and tried to keep up. After many iterations we decided to build our own engines.

Needless to say, my project got nowhere. I never managed to do anything with it. Centralnoise's engine got a userbase and awesome websites and cool demos from him and users on youtube.

I went to univesity, during which I worked on my engine and managed to develop a version that worked great, had features including HDR-rendering, 20+ shaders to pick from, simple key-frame animation, universal mesh support, LUA-scripting etc. It wasn't the most usable, had lots of bugs, but I managed to pull off some demos with it.

Then, after many long years I tried to apply to a small game developer studio here in Tampere. For whatever miracle works happened, I got in. After two years and few projects after, they had to let me go due to reasons (which none was an issue with me).

I got into job hunting, and after stressing 3 months, I landed a (so far) secure job as a game programmer on another local game developer studio, 10tons. I've been there for the last 6 months and I have enjoyed every day of work.

Now I'm steadily employed in the game industry, working as a game and platform developer.

Because I wanted to try making games with a software package including model, world and script editors and had a funny sounding engine, Acknex 6

Thanks.

"Yesterday was once today's tomorrow."
Re: Hey guyse, have a little story [Re: Inestical] #426681
07/26/13 21:06
07/26/13 21:06
Germany
Error014 Offline
Expert
Error014  Offline
Expert

Germany
Congratulations!

Great to hear that you've managed to end up in what sounds like your dream job.

Nice to see that your talent and passion got you this far and, I'm absolutely certain, it will get you much, much further.

All the best and keep us updated, if you wish!

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!
Re: Hey guyse, have a little story [Re: Error014] #426707
07/27/13 13:45
07/27/13 13:45
de
lemming Offline
lemming  Offline

de
It's nice to hear such stories. =)

Keep going!

Re: Hey guyse, have a little story [Re: lemming] #426721
07/27/13 22:55
07/27/13 22:55
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Indeed, sounds nice and I wish you good luck with your career! I hope I can manage to get into your industy as well sometime in the future.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: Hey guyse, have a little story [Re: Superku] #426726
07/28/13 01:45
07/28/13 01:45
Finland
Inestical Offline OP
Rabbit Developer
Inestical  Offline OP
Rabbit Developer

Finland
I remember both of you, Error & Superku - the years I spent on these forums are irreplaceable, I still have these moments I come back here and I read some really old threads, and then feel really nostalgic and a little ashamed about my adventures grin

Also I never really learned how to spell ulilia's nick.

It's a little sad that the forums seem to have died down a great deal, but still happy that the community still exists! I might start popping in a bit more often now, and maybe post up some projects I've been mangling with as of late.

If you're interested what kind of games the company I worked for has made (and are currently working on) go check the website: http://10tons.com

"Yesterday was once today's tomorrow."
Re: Hey guyse, have a little story [Re: Inestical] #426727
07/28/13 06:50
07/28/13 06:50
Wellington
Nems Offline

Nems  Offline

Wellington
Hi ya Inestical, good to see an old trooper popping in....just got organised myself, in the last 6 months, to get back into dev work after 4 years off but now have a team of 6, 2 programmers and 4 artists, currently working on mobile dev but intending to replicate in GStudio as examples etc...
My story is similar to yours in a way, I came from what we call "The Wops", back-end of nowhere really, about 13 years ago, hit the big city, up skilled from a country bumpkin artist/laborer etc... at a tertiary institute where one of my tutors introduced me to GStudio, I was hooked and have to say that its thanks to Acknex that I gained proficiency in understanding basics.

Then I scored a few jobs for a couple of Game Dev firms and one of them returned me enough to get going again.

So until we get a title that returns capital spent, I am currently unemployed on my own job but loving it.....

All the best...

Cheers....

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de