by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (M_D), 1,430 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Few questions required to be answered #424442
06/16/13 04:12
06/16/13 04:12
Only in your imagination!
The_KING Offline OP
The_KING  Offline OP

First, sorry if I posted this in the wrong place in the forums

Second, I've some questions waiting for answers in addition to some requests:

1) the manual didn't give me enough info about the VIEW* definition. So, I want to know about ALL the parameters and flags that can be used to define a view (camera) which I couldn't find in the manual

2) how to make an earthquake effect that ends in demolition of buildings in a level? (this question seem wierd ,so you don't have to answer it)

3) how to RESTART the project or in other meaning RE-EXECUTE the main script or retry a mission if the player lost ?

4) I tried to remove some blocks from the level in WED ,but when I try to select one block ,all the other blocks are selected too. Why is that? (maybe because they are grouped together in one group in WED?)

5) I want a simple tutorial on how to use materials to create water, water reflection, mirrors...etc.

PEACE

Re: Few questions required to be answered [Re: The_KING] #424444
06/16/13 05:09
06/16/13 05:09

M
Malice
Unregistered
Malice
Unregistered
M

Quote:
1) the manual didn't give me enough info about the VIEW* definition. So, I want to know about ALL the parameters and flags that can be used to define a view (camera) which I couldn't find in the manual

The manual gives you all this information you might not be reading it in the correct manner: Make sure you are on the contents tab -> Click engine objects -> expand VIEW - This is all of it.

Quote:
2) how to make an earthquake effect that ends in demolition of buildings in a level? (this question seem wierd ,so you don't have to answer it)

The work required to do this is insane. You would have to build the buildings already fractured then combine them. Then maybe turn them all into physics entities and let gravity and a force work on them. @The_KING re-measure your ambition.

Quote:
3) how to RESTART the project or in other meaning RE-EXECUTE the main script or retry a mission if the player lost ?

You can simple call level_load() and reload the level. Or call ent_create() and recreate the player model with player action. For the second one you need to make sure you ent_remove the old player and wait before moving the camera center entity actually you should move the camera to the new player before removing the old. Finally just reset the state of the current player action. It really depends on how you set up you code and how you Want to restart the player.

Quote:
5) I want a simple tutorial on how to use materials to create water, water reflection, mirrors...etc.

Yeah me too and I don't think I understand how to look for anything so I need you to do the looking and post me links. Ok? Lol!
Last time I tried to make some simple shader effects I started HERE and didn't get to far. But this forum has a shader section and I bet reading most the post from the last year would give you some help also. Have you been HERE_SHADERS? or HERE_FOR_ALL_HELP? or HERE? or HERE_MY_FIRST_STOP_FOR_HELP?

The_KING you are going to have a hard time finding people to be unpaid team members and/or researchers.

All joking and hard knocks aside - Is the engines information so scattered that beginners are stuck like this? The learning curve is high enough with the right materials.

Last edited by Malice; 06/16/13 06:15.
Re: Few questions required to be answered [Re: ] #424448
06/16/13 14:36
06/16/13 14:36
The_KING Offline OP
The_KING  Offline OP

Originally Posted By: Malice
Quote:

The manual gives you all this information you might not be reading it in the correct manner: Make sure you are on the contents tab -> Click engine objects -> expand VIEW - This is all of it.

I meant the manual on the internet ,not the one combined with GS. I have some problems with that of GS so I will re-download GS. I thought they were the same. My mistake.

Quote:

The work required to do this is insane. You would have to build the buildings already fractured then combine them. Then maybe turn them all into physics entities and let gravity and a force work on them. @The_KING re-measure your ambition.

I measured my ambition very well. I meant an earthquake like the one in Half Life (shaking camera and making it follow the player at the same time + some window glass pieces,...etc. falling to the ground)

Quote:

You can simple call level_load() and reload the level. Or call ent_create() and recreate the player model with player action. For the second one you need to make sure you ent_remove the old player and wait before moving the camera center entity actually you should move the camera to the new player before removing the old. Finally just reset the state of the current player action. It really depends on how you set up you code and how you Want to restart the player.

hmmmmm, ok

Quote:

Yeah me too and I don't think I understand how to look for anything so I need you to do the looking and post me links. Ok? Lol!
Last time I tried to make some simple shader effects I started HERE and didn't get to far. But this forum has a shader section and I bet reading most the post from the last year would give you some help also. Have you been HERE_SHADERS? or HERE_FOR_ALL_HELP? or HERE? or HERE_MY_FIRST_STOP_FOR_HELP?

thnx

The_KING you are going to have a hard time finding people to be unpaid team members and/or researchers.

All joking and hard knocks aside - Is the engines information so scattered that beginners are stuck like this? The learning curve is high enough with the right materials.

@Malice
I am not that guy you are talking about who doesn't know what to do and always needs help. I am not "STUCK". I just want ,like any beginner, to improve my skills in game developement by the help of the experienced programmers to reach SOME goals.
If you don't like my questions, you don't have to answer them

Re: Few questions required to be answered [Re: The_KING] #424456
06/16/13 15:45
06/16/13 15:45
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Quote:

It is never a good idea to deter some (or even all) forum users from helping or wanting to help you, especially when you do that on purpose. As you have already noticed nobody is forced to help you, they do that in their free time voluntarily instead.
For my part, I know that I will not waste my precious time on trying to help you as long as you keep that attitude, and btw. you did not even understand in your previous thread why I wrote "Hello!" which is why I apparently have to state it clearly: Don't be so impatient, esp. if it's only a couple of hours, you want help, it's not the other way round, you cannot demand anything, you are not a king.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: Few questions required to be answered [Re: Superku] #424462
06/16/13 16:25
06/16/13 16:25

M
Malice
Unregistered
Malice
Unregistered
M

Quote:
@Malice
I am not that guy you are talking about who doesn't know what to do and always needs help. I am not "STUCK". I just want ,like any beginner, to improve my skills in game developement by the help of the experienced programmers to reach SOME goals.

My mistake I though I was trying hard to help. Even when you were impatient and slightly rude. I had the feeling you might drive way the help of others and tried harder to make sure you got help.

People here are used to answering specific and direct questions. If they are code questions, then people like you to post the function(or part of) so they can look it over. IF You have 30 different questions, type 30 different post. You might be able to post the earthquake question as it is all centered around one idea. Post the code you need help with not all of it and say "find all the mistakes in my project please ". To let people know you have tried to figure out the problem tell them what research you did on your own and what links you visited, this usual turns a general question into a more specific one because you have an answer you just not sure how to implement it. You need to ask detailed questions, if you just want to shake a camera and brake some glass, then say that, not 'a earthquake that demolishes the buildings in the level' Please keep in mind that this community is not customer service and you did not receive a year of 'on-demand help' with you purchase of the engine. People here like to help others but are not required and will only give you the time up to the point it becomes inconvenient. With the AUM online, the manual on/offline, the wiki, the au website, and a years worth of back forum post you have a lot to research in so posting on the forum 'should be' when you are stuck and not before you even started.

Any way this is my parting advice to you and I will honor your request and not answer your questions. I want very much for this engine to have a flow of fresh user, so I hope someone is always willing to help the beginners.

Best Wishes
Mal

Last edited by Malice; 06/16/13 16:30.
Re: Few questions required to be answered [Re: ] #424470
06/16/13 18:17
06/16/13 18:17
Wellington
Nems Offline

Nems  Offline

Wellington
Go through the AUM series from 69 upwards I think for lite_C related code.

Aum has lots of examples and unanswered questions from here ....answered.

Then relate what you want with what AUM offers, make little demos from the articles and see what and how the codes and examples work.

There are camera shakes, breakable entities and so on as well as interviews with developers with hints and solutions given for various approaches...

Compare with manual and wiki and forum posts...also...try the search function for up to 2 years worth of archived material from here...

Re: Few questions required to be answered [Re: Nems] #424472
06/16/13 18:33
06/16/13 18:33
netherlands
Realspawn Offline

Expert
Realspawn  Offline

Expert

netherlands
Code:
a simple algorithm for camera shaking
SOUND* explosion_wav = "explosion.wav";
function roll_startup()
{
var shaking_time = 3; // shake the camera for 3 seconds
while (!key_e) {wait (1);} // press the "E" key to start the explosion (camera shaking)
while (key_e) {wait (1);} // waut until the player releases the "E" key
snd_play (explosion_wav, 100, 0);
while (shaking_time > 0)
{
shaking_time -= time_step / 16; // subtract a value of 1 from shaking_time each second
camera.roll = 3 - random(6); // shake the camera by changing its roll angle, play with the numerical values
wait (1);
}
camera.

straight from the AUM your other answers can be found there to laugh

Last edited by Realspawn; 06/16/13 18:33.

Find all my tutorials & Workshops at : www.rp-interactive.nl

Creativity starts in the brain
Re: Few questions required to be answered [Re: Realspawn] #424475
06/16/13 20:54
06/16/13 20:54
The_KING Offline OP
The_KING  Offline OP

@Superku

I am not detering anyone wanting to help me. And you're right I am not a king ,and you are not a king either

@Malice

I apologise to you if I was aggressive a little bit. Also, you shouldn't have used the word "rude" in your last post because I was not rude. And you are right ,my questions should have been more detailed.

Again, I apologise to anyone I was unkind to and I hope my apology will be accepted

And @Nems ,Realspawn
Thank you for helping

Regards

Re: Few questions required to be answered [Re: ] #424576
06/18/13 21:26
06/18/13 21:26
austria
nsksleeper Offline
nsksleeper  Offline

austria
Quote:

helps me a lot, to understand and tune my projects!!! Thanks

visit www.nsk-austria.org and vote for sleeper by clansman of the year.

and also look at www.break.com/index/lightningstrikescar.html

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de