Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/19/24 18:45
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, kzhao, 7th_zorro), 714 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Esenthel 2 : #415889
01/25/13 08:59
01/25/13 08:59
ratchet Offline OP
Expert
ratchet  Offline OP
Expert

Well this engine is not for newbbies or 3D total game beginners even if they could achieve something.
It uses some similar C++ that compiles ont top of Visual Studio.

Esenthel 2

Here are key features of Esenthel Editor 2.0:

Fully collaborative game development:
Automatic, real-time and in-background game resource and world synchronization between all game developers

Greatly simplified resource importing/processing:
Most resources are imported in background thread to avoid pauses during importing

Easier setting of material textures
Easier setting of mesh LOD's

Easier resource management:
All resources are visible in Project View as nodes

Resources can be re-arranged at will (renamed, moved to different folders, etc) without the need of making any extra changes (both in resources or game code)

You can switch between projects and create new ones directly in the Editor without restarting it
Easier game packaging:
All resources can be automatically packaged for you when publishing the game

Better interface:
Interface is focused on functionalities that are used most often
More focus on mouse usage and drag and drop functionality

----------------

Following functionalities are still in progress but will be available in final release:
Particle Editor
Icon Maker

Environmemt Options
Ocean
Mac and iOS support (currently only Windows and Android)
Undo support (it's unavailable and it's unknown when it will be)
Some model editor options (physical cloth editing, configuring mesh parts for visibility)
World mini-map generation

And the video :
Esenthel 2 video

Note the license have changed , it's no more per title, but per site for V2 !

So 100$ for full engine version and unlimited projects and so advanced engine ...

-------------

The APIs used are these :
Esenthel Engine is based on: Nvidia PhysX - PhysX EULA, Microsoft DirectX SDK, Bullet, Recast/Detour, Vorbis, Theora, Zlib, Snappy, LibPng, LibJpeg, Jimenez's MLAA (all of them are free to use, only Nvidia PhysX imposes some requirements, please read them carefully)

What does it means for Nvidia ? We use it with 3DGS freely, i don't think they impact the game you make with them ?

------------
You'll purchase Esenthel Engine 2.0 for reduced price of 99$ (once engine will be finished its price will rise to 150-200$)
It remains cheap, but purchasing now i think is a good option laugh
------------

BUT ONCE AGAIN , IF YOU CAN'T ACHIEVE TO MAKE A COMPLETE GAME OR TO CAN'T PRODUCE GOOD 3D ART AND STUFF, the ENGINE WON'T MAKE A BEAUTIFULL GAME OR AMAZING 3D ART FOR YOU AT YOUR PLACE laugh

Last edited by ratchet; 01/25/13 09:41.
Re: Esenthel 2 : [Re: ratchet] #415908
01/25/13 13:14
01/25/13 13:14
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
this 2.0 editor was started to be developed in last summer, and will be ready for the next summer as a latest date I think. finally we can compare it to the new WED... the engine behind remains the same similarly to A8. until that you can use the 1.0 editor for free, which is okay for a one person development, and can keep it until you want to make free games. its licencing will be stopped after 2.0 released.

for easier programming, you can check its built in script editor, which is in the current editor too. you have to install VC++2008EE or 2010EE before for free, it is linked to it in the background, but much easier to program: it uses a script language like a mixture of C++ an C#. no need to deal with header includes, has its own memory containers managing allocation, member searching and maintenance, easier class and struct definitions, using . instead of -> etc.

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Re: Esenthel 2 : [Re: sivan] #415911
01/25/13 13:51
01/25/13 13:51
ratchet Offline OP
Expert
ratchet  Offline OP
Expert

The Beta is already here, so i think it has been fast if annoucement was last summer compared to some other indie 3D Engines announcements.
It's like for Shiva 3D, and said on their forums, they have lot of users that moved to Unity or UT3 because it has been more than two years of wait for features and new version.
And it's normal if you have a game project and need some features/workflow the engine you use don't have, you are tempted to move indeed.
They had to rewrite all core to support new advanced shaders and features, and new interface, that's great, but well two years a also big.

So it has been fast for Esenthel.
Other indie game engines are only evolving to support mobile or multiplatform (PC, Mac,Linux):
Shiva 3D,Esenthel 2,Unity,LE 3 ...

Esenthel 2 is strong for programmers, but well not for me frown
I would have prefered a simple Javascript like language to make any game with it than similary C or C#, that is not as simple or basic once you want to make your own stuff.

But for the price it's a good deal and for 100$ you have lot more and advanced stuff , mobile and multi platform : What you won't have with 3DGS Pro and it's price wink

On the other side like SuperCan game , if you have a SOLID PC GAME with 3DGS commercial, and 3D quality, yes 3DGS PRO can be a solution indeed and you stay with easy Script.

Last edited by ratchet; 01/25/13 14:17.
Re: Esenthel 2 : [Re: ratchet] #415912
01/25/13 14:08
01/25/13 14:08
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
the first alpha was available in Sept or Oct.

Re: Esenthel 2 : [Re: sivan] #415955
01/26/13 11:45
01/26/13 11:45
ratchet Offline OP
Expert
ratchet  Offline OP
Expert

I just have review the code tutorials (it's a folder i missed when i tried Esenthel).
Yes the engine initialization, commands seems at final really not so complicated.

Bool Update()
{
if(Kb.bp(KB_ESC))return false;
CamHandle(0.1f, 10, CAMH_ROT|CAMH_ZOOM);

// set animations
{
cskel.clear(); // clear controlled skeleton animation
if(Kb.b(KB_SPACE)) // when space pressed
{
cskel.animate(L"../data/anim/walk.anim", Time.time()); // animate with "walk" animation and current time position
}
cskel.updateMatrix (MatrixIdentity); // update controlled skeleton animation matrixes
cskel.updateVelocities( ); // update controlled skeleton bone velocities (this is needed for Motion Blur effect)
}

return true;
}

What you can see this is not very hight level , caus you have to call some matrix updates, and mesh.draw() in the render phase.
I think the best way is for us to create our own Class doing all that and wher you call only one or two functions.

It's some simplified C++ or C# like language finally in their own editor and compiled on Visual Studio in BackGround.

--------------

I'll gonna re install Visual Studio and see if i achieve importing my own animated character and control it easyly by code.
I use 3DGS and another engine, but this engine could be a third option or replace the other one ?
(I keep 3DGS for easy script and fast prototype creation)

Last edited by ratchet; 01/26/13 11:51.
Re: Esenthel 2 : [Re: ratchet] #415958
01/26/13 12:43
01/26/13 12:43
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
yes there are some lower level functions, which can be simplified if you make your higher level functions, but don't forget, for those few additional lines you get fast GPU bone animation! moreover, it works fast in DX10+ deferred rendering mode, easy to set a nice environment, sky, fog, water (lake and river), PSSM shadows (6 split max), and other Shader Model 3.0 effects, without the need to dig into shader coding at all.

a couple of things are easier in Esenthel than in 3DGS, like: object shader assignments done in the model editor by drag and drop, model LOD, navmesh pathfinding by one command, making really huge worlds cosisting of several terrains having LOD, and streamed in-out based on actual camera position, portals to change level. there are RPG or shooter ready chracter, camera, weapon, and item handling commands. the very missing thing is instancing or mesh merging (it is postponed a bit because of the development of the new editor), but there is a separate grass class for billboard grass sprites, what you can place in the world editor or by code, but you can set its clipping distance to fine tune performance.

in 3DGS it is faster to develop indoor block environment for fast prototyping, which sometimes very practical, and also used in Unreal Editor. the 3DGS documentation is also better, more easy to start with, and lite-c is really a lightweight language, I really like it.

Re: Esenthel 2 : [Re: sivan] #415960
01/26/13 13:01
01/26/13 13:01
ratchet Offline OP
Expert
ratchet  Offline OP
Expert

Yep, 3DGS with its docs and AUM have what you need, if you don't ask too much for latest features or too much visual helpers, terrain editor etc ...
But for script, it is not as easy as C# or Javascript, i've used it to do advanced stuff.
If you only program some AI, functions Calls etc ... it's ok, but if you plan your own editor, you'll have to care about all initialization stuff, structures instead of Classes etc ...

But well 3DGS for game making is fast indeed laugh
I just need the mobile version now ...

-----------

Ok i did a last test, and i was pretty happy with Esenthel.

You just drag and drop your FBX model under the editor (mesh button on), you can after that switch to Skeletton, animation views and save each objects.
I tried the animation code of the tutorials and played the animation.

What i understand is that you can share skeletons and animations between characters (good for fighting games or characters with different shapes doing standard animations like NPC)
So you don't have to animate all your characters for a game when they share same animations.

I like VC++ auto completition and all character functions availables to mount things, to control skeletton parts etc ...

I didn't encountered the MED origin problem with FBX, you just drag and drop from Blender and that's all.
The workflow is indeed lot lot more smooth and fast, you don't have to switch between your modeler tool than MED than WED ... that is a big waste of time.
And their editor technology is ultra responsive to your actions and fast.

-----------

Some usefull features :

Yes a gui editor !
gui editor

For RPG ,games iwth inventory : you have a ready to go icon made from your 3D model (i never thaught about that great idea before)
Icon maker

Integrated converter for pictures formats :
converter

DX 9/10/11 rendering (simple/forward/deferred), ssao,motion blurr etc ...
rendering

The engine is SOLID, even Unity don't have in native unlimited world streaming, and there is a good bunch of optimisations in lot of areas :
Engine world management

Physics are complete enougth(clothes, ragdoll, destructible elements)
physics
And there is more like the particle editor etc ...

I don't have seen so much information about their mobille solution and it is easy or complicated to deply for Android, so it's another point i'll have to see also.

--------

Well the engine have lot of ready to use advanced features and tools !
And their script system seems lot more complicated, not so easy or i don't understand ?
I learned lot more easyly the C++ tutorials, i recommand to code directly in C++ in Visual Studio.
It's up to you to manage models and their draw calls, more stuff to manage, but well bigger performance also.

I understand lot more your point of view Sivan for the easy programming side.
After testing it, wanting to do more things, i understand IT IS FAR FROM THE EASYNESS OF 3DGS indeed frown

Indeed this is not only simple to call 3D functions, it has some bits of math and you have to manage all models, drawing calls, updates ... it's not a simple Action to attach like 3DGS.
I'll see next days, depending if i can go far enought i'll buy it, if not i will avoid to buy something i could not use entirely.

Yes i keep on track with 3DGS and is easy script (and it's poor workflow laugh ) !

Last edited by ratchet; 01/26/13 19:31.
Re: Esenthel 2 : [Re: ratchet] #415999
01/26/13 22:01
01/26/13 22:01
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
imo for casual games 3DGS is better, for learning programming and how 3D graphics works 3dgs is perfect, if you are reliable with shader programming 3dgs ensures good possibilities. but if you have some experience, and plan to make a larger scale mainly open world game (but there are indoor games also released made with it), esenthel can be a good choice. working in VC++ with esenthel is better for me too.

I don't know how it handles android, I'm focusing on pc, and it requires a licence. I saw a video made by the developer, where the same game runs on pc, mac, and android (its graphics is limited, e.g. no dynamic shadows). one RTS game is developed for android, its source can be bought, where you can see how to handle touch screen and other special features. I don't know Unity's android licence price, maybe that could be an option too (I got a free for Unity 3 but never used).

Re: Esenthel 2 : [Re: sivan] #416071
01/27/13 20:36
01/27/13 20:36
ratchet Offline OP
Expert
ratchet  Offline OP
Expert

But C++ is not os easy, i find problems with their source code exmaples like variables or includes not working in a bunch of them.
I think they have put their "special C++ code" thinking it would work in Visual Studio ?

Some quick play with materials. that's sad i don't have very simple C++ tutorials for some stuff frown

------------

I've done another 5 minutes test with another 3D engine :
- import model
- import textures
- select shader and textures
- a click for physics
It just works for 3D artists and scripting is like Esenthel functions :
init()
update()
All camera, character controller are ready, it is the only engine where i can say : I GET WHAT I WANT TO CREATE.
Without code problems or searching (i just lost two days with 3DGS frown ! )
This popular engine just WORKS for 3D artists, no need to spell its name.

Lot of people can understand why i use this engine like lot of people, it's not because of all adverts , but really because like lot of 3D artists says : IT JUST WORKS.
You make what you want to make without basic programming ro workflow problems laugh

Why do we see so much amateurs games but that really works ?
amateur game remake
I think it's because this engine gives the right templates , right tools, right code to make a game from scratch.

This demo (fro a mobile game) just show it's possible and you can have unified lightening also :
AngryBots

I stop , i think it's because of not going where i needed with 3DGS script that just made me loose my patience !

-------------

Well Esenthel i think remains for programmer or you must work in a team with a programmer.
I find it has not so trivial stuff, lot of strange maths formulas some times (and i didn't get working to load a world i made)
Perhaps putting lot more time i'll achieve to have some complete little working game (player, ennemies, inventory, world load and save, menu) ??

The script langage is very strange, in one command for example it controls lot of stuff like camera, character controller etc ... and i really don't understand this script language, it' more like learning anotehr more langage : no thanks !

That sad they don't have made more hight level and clear functions (call to draw() functions should not have to be programmed etc ...)
Caus the terrain editor with chuncks is amazing and allow unlimited world streaming what is top notch for big world games and all advanced grahics features and tools also.

Last edited by ratchet; 01/27/13 23:43.
Re: Esenthel 2 : [Re: ratchet] #416115
01/28/13 04:34
01/28/13 04:34
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
Could someone please explain the notion of creating games without actually programming to me?! It makes no sense at all, you have to program a game just like you need the assets to create it. I can't get this "programming is stupid, I'm an artist, why do I have to program" notion into my head, it's just as stupid as "I'm a programmer ergo my game doesn't have to look good".
Bunch of weirdos you all.

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de