by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (TedMar, AndrewAMD, dr_panther, 1 invisible), 1,186 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
the big leagues #410855
11/10/12 04:48
11/10/12 04:48
California
Amanda_Dearheart Offline OP
Amanda_Dearheart  Offline OP

California
I got into an argument the other day with an acquaintance that users of engines like 3D Gamestudio, Torque, and Unity will never make into the big leagues. (Companies like Electronic Arts, Epic, Bethesda Softworks, Atari, Sony, etc.) Without doubt, they use engines like Unreal, an engine costing only an $100, half the price of the starting 3D Gamestudio edition, Gamebryo, or their own stuff. I had to disagree with him. While independent programmers might never get hired by the big guys, these game engines can do wonders just like engines as Unreal. Its more about the talent, and creativity that lies within the programmers mind than the engine he uses.

Anyhow, while I am confident with what 3DGS can do, does anybody know if it is being used in the major publishing houses, and which ones?

Prepare to be assimilated. Resistance is futile

Amanda Dearheart

Business E-mail : cjw.roberson@gmail.com
Re: the big leagues [Re: Amanda_Dearheart] #410899
11/10/12 15:30
11/10/12 15:30
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
Spot on, it's the cost of the engine that values the game and its creators. I mean, come on, who would seriously hire a talented programmer if he can't even afford to license the CryEngine 3 source code?
And who the fuck would hire some indie no name idiot when you can hire people with no experience at all?

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de