by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, TedMar, dr_panther), 1,049 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thank you Marco & Co. for the Racer Demo & Source #35145
10/17/04 23:45
10/17/04 23:45
Maine, USA
J
Jason Bryant Offline OP
Jason Bryant  Offline OP
J

Maine, USA
I would like to express my gratitude for the racer demo and source recently posted on the downloads section. I have been wanting to see something like this for a long time. The quality and professional look of the project is excellent as well.

This is a great resource for us pro users who have been anxiously awaiting a nice vehicle template. (And a nice demo for non-pro owners to see)

Jason

Re: Thank you Marco & Co. for the Racer Demo & Source [Re: Jason Bryant] #35146
10/18/04 13:30
10/18/04 13:30
USA
tesanders Offline
Developer
tesanders  Offline
Developer

USA
I hadn't even noticed it. (http://server.conitec.net/down/cardemo.zip) That's great!

Re: Thank you Marco & Co. for the Racer Demo & Source [Re: tesanders] #35147
10/18/04 13:43
10/18/04 13:43
O
Orange Brat Offline

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline

Senior Expert
O

This is great stuff, though I kept getting stuck on the terrain. I guess I should learn how to drive better.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: Thank you Marco & Co. for the Racer Demo & Source [Re: Orange Brat] #35148
10/18/04 16:47
10/18/04 16:47
Just down the road from Raven
BlueBeast Offline
Serious User
BlueBeast  Offline
Serious User

Just down the road from Raven

Hi

Will this long awaited code be shared with the members? We all know how badly I've complained about not having such a vehicle code

That would be great for us, so what's the word on that?

It would be greatly appreciated!

Jason

Gamestudio Pro 6.4
Pentium 4 3.0 GHz 800MHz BUS
AtiRadeon 9800 pro 256Mb 21" Monitor
1 Gig DDR RAM
36 Gig RAPTOR SATA+ 120 Gig SATA
SB Audigy 2 w/ 450 watt Logitech Z680 5.1

www.nordicepitaph.com
Re: Thank you Marco & Co. for the Racer Demo & Sou [Re: BlueBeast] #35149
10/19/04 03:21
10/19/04 03:21
Margaritaville (Redneck Rivier...
myrlyn68 Offline
Senior Expert
myrlyn68  Offline
Senior Expert

Margaritaville (Redneck Rivier...
Quote:

Vehicle demo, created by Czeslaw Gorski with the A6 physics engine, featuring a dangerous race track through desert and woods, over broken bridges and along an active volcano. Pro Edition users can use the scripts as a template for their own vehicle or racing games. Joystick is recommended, DirectX 9.0c or above is required.

If you go to the downloads page you will find two links for it. One is the compiled demo - the other is the scripts and art work used - so yes, you can use it.

Virtual Worlds - Rebuilding the Universe one Pixel at a Time. Take a look - daily news and weekly content updates.
Re: Thank you Marco & Co. for the Racer Demo & Sou [Re: Orange Brat] #35150
10/19/04 09:53
10/19/04 09:53
San Diego, CA
M
Marco_Grubert Offline
Expert
Marco_Grubert  Offline
Expert
M

San Diego, CA
Thanks
Please note that there are lots of options in physics_car.wdl allowing you to customize the vehicle's behavior and control. Some more info on these:

var maxTorque= 1200;
var maxTorqueBrake=1000;

These variables determine how powerful the engine / brakepads of your vehicle are. If you find going uphill is too slow you can increase maxTorque. If you prefer a car with airplane brakes up maxTorqueBrake. Note, however, that this will lead to side-effects such as tires spinning without generating tractions, or the car doing 180s when braking.
--------------------------
var maxAngSpeed= 70;

Top angular speed for wheels. Vehicle speed depends on wheel radius. The faster you go the harder it gets to control the vehicle as even slight bumps will make it veer to the side.
var massWheel= 30;
var massChassis= 10;

Cars in GameStudio have a tendency to easily flip over when going over rough terrain or cornering. To limit this tendency the wheels are made heavier than the chassis. For a car with better acceleration reduce the total mass. For a car with spongy shocks that should lean into curves increase the chassis weight.
var fricWheel= 100;
var fricChassis= 20;

Lowering the wheel friction will reduce flipping over the car while doing high-speed turns. It will be harder to control though.
If you have very bumpy terrain the car chassis might get stuck on obstacles easily, therefore chassis friction is low.
var dampChassis= 5; // damping lin/ang for chassis
var dampWheel= 15; // damping ang for wheels

These are mostly for stability and to dampen the up-down movement of the wheels.
var suspensionERP= 90000; // how quickly shocks are reduced to correct
position (100,000 max, 0: never)
var suspensionCFM= 500; // how far shocks can overshoot (0: never, 100,000 max)

Altering these values affects the car's suspension and whether it acts like a racing car or a bouncy quad bike.
var jumpRechargeDelay=1.5; // time before user is allowed to jump again in secs
var jumpForce= 9000; // force multiplier for jumps

Every decent car should be able to jump ! Don't make the multiplier to high or you will run into problems with low-speed PCs and cars hanging in the clouds. The recharge delay is merely for gameplay- set it to anything you like.
var accelKeyboard=2; // acceleration multiplier for key control
var accelSteering=3; // acceleration multiplier for steering key control
var joyNullzone[2]= 20,20; // 0..255 x and y direction center range for joystick

Ideally these control variables should be exposed in your game's GUI, allowing players to adjust how sensitive controls are.
var vecUp[3]= 0,0,1; // up axis, usually +Z
var vecRight[3]= 0,-1,0; // chassis right axis
var vecHookOffset[3]= 3,0,40; // this is offset from chassis center where lifter hook will be installed
var vecDriverOffset[3]= -50,-15,30; // where camera will be located relative to chassis center (cockpit)
var vecChaseOffset[3]= -300,0,100; // where camera will be located relative to chassis center (chase)
var vecChaseAngOff[3] = 0,0,0; // angle tweak of the chase camera

You might have to change these values depending on the car model you are using. vecHookOffset specifies at which spot the car will be pulled upwards when the player hits L. Most of these values are trial-and-error.
DEFINE CRASH_SPEED = 150;

There's a neat little effect in the code that will unhinge the wheels and cause engine smoke upon impact. If you want this to happen more easily reduce the impact speed, or set it to a higher value if you don't like it.
DEFINE NUM_TRACKS = 1;//400; // number of tire tracks

When braking or turning the car will leave tire tracks - provided it is being driven on level geometry. Since the demo uses terrain tracks are disabled (1). Set it to a large number such as 400 in other levels. After a while tracks get recycled- the higher number the more tracks remain visible.
var USE_GAMEPAD= 0; // Treat joystick as absolute
device

The control code supports analog joysticks or keyboard input. If you have a digital joystick, i.e. gamepad be sure to set this flag for better handling !

When you use your own models put the chassis and four wheels in the proper positions and assign the following actions: CarInit (to chassis), FLinit, FRinit, RLinit, RRinit for front-left, front-right, rear-left, rear-right wheel.

@OrangeBrat:
Quote:

This is great stuff, though I kept getting stuck on the terrain. I guess I should learn how to drive better.

That should not happen. Screenshots of the problems would be appreciated.

Re: Thank you Marco & Co. for the Racer Demo & Sou [Re: Marco_Grubert] #35151
10/19/04 12:12
10/19/04 12:12
O
Orange Brat Offline

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline

Senior Expert
O

Quote:

@OrangeBrat:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That should not happen. Screenshots of the problems would be appreciated.

I think I went off road and turned over and got stuck inside a bridge near the lava. Later on, I discovered the "lift" which I use to get turned back on my tires and out of bad situations. I'll play with it some more and provide screens if I get truly stuck. I know there's a ditch that seemed impossible to get out of, but that's more of a level design problem.

Here's one, but different from what I experienced before. I was lifting and it kind of got hung up on the terrain. It got out on its own and I got it to do this again when lifting on a rock in another section:

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: Thank you Marco & Co. for the Racer Demo & Sou [Re: Marco_Grubert] #35152
10/19/04 12:45
10/19/04 12:45
California
Cellulaer Offline
Expert
Cellulaer  Offline
Expert

California

If you flip the car there is no way to turn back over without restarting. Also there were places in the terrain where once you drive the car down into them you couldn't drive back out (not enough power). I'm not sure if you ment that or not. Other then that it's pretty awesome.

Buy, Sell, & Archive Realtime 3D Content @ RedRock7.com *BETA* A5.5+ Plugin DLLs: GSADO, GSHTTP, GSImgLst, FreeMod, GSFlash, GSPython http://cellulear.slashbang.com/
Re: Thank you Marco & Co. for the Racer Demo & Sou [Re: Cellulaer] #35153
10/19/04 12:53
10/19/04 12:53
O
Orange Brat Offline

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline

Senior Expert
O

Quote:

If you flip the car there is no way to turn back over without restarting.

Press the "lift" key. This will flip you back over.

Re: Thank you Marco & Co. for the Racer Demo & Sou [Re: Marco_Grubert] #35154
10/20/04 00:51
10/20/04 00:51
Alexandria, VA
Alkai Offline
Developer
Alkai  Offline
Developer

Alexandria, VA
Loved the demo!

Too bad the demo resources cannot be downloaded by anyone without Pro...

Since commercial allows for one physics object, should we at least be able to see the code?

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. 3.0 GHz Pentium 4 w/HT 1 Gig 400mhz DDR SDRAM 128mb NVidia GeForce FX 5200
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de