by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 972 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Leaving Gamestudio, for good [Re: Lukas] #399125
04/11/12 14:29
04/11/12 14:29
Canada
WretchedSid Offline OP
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline OP
Expert

Canada
Just to clarify some things first: I'm not leaving the forum! I just sat there yesterday and realized that I won't do anything with Gamestudio anymore (yes, I did almost nothing in the past time, but I had some ideas for projects).
And after I realized that I won't use Gamestudio anymore, I remembered what a great time I had with Gamestudio and figured that I should share my story here to prove that not everyone who leaves Gamestudio automatically hates it.

Originally Posted By: Lukas
Will there still be Build'n Run episodes?

As far as I'm concerned: Yes

Btw, it kinda shocked me that you have to pay so much money to make iPhone apps or even Mac programs.

Its not quite true, the Mac SDK and iOS SDK are free, as are the developer tools (mainly Xcode). What you pay for is the ability to create certificates to codesign your apps which is mandatory to run iOS Apps on devices and to ship Mac and iOS apps to their AppStores. For iOS you must pay the $99 if you want to sell your app officially, for Mac OS X its just the AppStore and nothing else, you can still sell them on your website.
However, the $99 grant you also access to betas, beta forums, technical support inquires etc.

Am I right to understand that your primary reason to stop using Gamestudio is that it doesn't run on Mac OS? Would you still use it if it could run on Mac OS? This just interests me.

Jain ^^
Yes, the non OS X support is a showstopper, but I wouldn't use it anymore even if it run on OS X due to Lite-Cs nature and SED.

Originally Posted By: Tempelbauer
donīt affright me... as i read the title, i expected the worst tongue

Nah, I will still be around here to rant about everything I don't like or when I'm in a bad mood tongue

Originally Posted By: lostclimate
i wish I had an honest answer on how many of people that now have paid versions of gs started with a cracked version.

I would be interested in this too, given the target audience of Gamestudio it feels somehow impossible that people bought it without "testing" it first, although that might have changed with the Lite and now Free version.

Originally Posted By: lostclimate
macs are gay. ;P

True story tongue

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Re: Leaving Gamestudio, for good [Re: WretchedSid] #399132
04/11/12 14:49
04/11/12 14:49

C
chris_oat
Unregistered
chris_oat
Unregistered
C

Originally Posted By: JustSid

Originally Posted By: Tempelbauer
donīt affright me... as i read the title, i expected the worst tongue

Nah, I will still be around here to rant about everything I don't like or when I'm in a bad mood tongue

so pretty much the same amount of time as always:P

Re: Leaving Gamestudio, for good [Re: ] #399135
04/11/12 14:55
04/11/12 14:55
Canada
WretchedSid Offline OP
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline OP
Expert

Canada
Originally Posted By: chris_oat
so pretty much the same amount of time as always:P

Plus the time I would have spend with Gamestudio writing pointless libraries! grin

Re: Leaving Gamestudio, for good [Re: WretchedSid] #399137
04/11/12 14:57
04/11/12 14:57
Hummel Offline
Expert
Hummel  Offline
Expert

Come back to me, I miss u! frown

Re: Leaving Gamestudio, for good [Re: Hummel] #399145
04/11/12 15:52
04/11/12 15:52
Finland
Inestical Offline
Rabbit Developer
Inestical  Offline
Rabbit Developer

Finland
Quote:
Unity sucks monkey balls! If you are a little designer sissy which is afraid to touch code, go with the Unity whore.

Sorry, I laughed a bit.

I use Unity at work - I don't use the editor for other than pressing the play button. I script everything. We have a custom built framework overriding most Unity pipeline, and still takes all the features.

In other words: I use it like I use GS: all scripting, unless I need to check some level editing.

Anyways? You're going to stay on the forums though.. That's not up to you. It's a rule. Once you're active here, you always come back at some point. tongue

"Yesterday was once today's tomorrow."
Re: Leaving Gamestudio, for good [Re: Inestical] #399150
04/11/12 16:32
04/11/12 16:32
Canada
WretchedSid Offline OP
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline OP
Expert

Canada
Originally Posted By: Inestical
Quote:
Unity sucks monkey balls! If you are a little designer sissy which is afraid to touch code, go with the Unity whore.

Sorry, I laughed a bit.

Good to hear that the joke worked. Don't worry, I exaggerated a lot, but while it is true that you can highly customize Unity to your needs, I'd rather use a tool that already gives me everything without me needing to customize it.

Quote:
Anyways? You're going to stay on the forums though.. That's not up to you. It's a rule. Once you're active here, you always come back at some point. tongue

I know, its like a curse! (Game idea: The cursed crew of the Ackship cannot die and rest in peace, until the last Unity user is killed and the earth is drained in their blood!)

Re: Leaving Gamestudio, for good [Re: WretchedSid] #399165
04/11/12 17:57
04/11/12 17:57
Germany
Error014 Offline
Expert
Error014  Offline
Expert

Germany
That's a shame, actually! Please keep us informed on your shenanigans, it's always interesting to see what you come up with.

Can't say I'm happy about you leaving Acknex, but your reasons for it are solid.
Ah, well, at least you stay on the forums. laugh

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!
Re: Leaving Gamestudio, for good [Re: Error014] #399401
04/14/12 21:01
04/14/12 21:01
McCordsville, Indiana, USA
mperdue Offline
mperdue  Offline

McCordsville, Indiana, USA
Sid, Like you I have moved on to iOS and Android development. I miss 3D Game Studio but you've got to use the tools that make things work on your target platform.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de