by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (blaurock), 750 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Is this a commercial standoff contributions forum? [Re: Rei_Ayanami] #397506
03/19/12 20:14
03/19/12 20:14
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
*cough*deadAlready*cough*

Re: Is this a commercial standoff contributions forum? [Re: Rei_Ayanami] #397507
03/19/12 20:15
03/19/12 20:15
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Just because you never post anything open-source/ for free does not mean no one does. wink

Btw. nice signature.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: Is this a commercial standoff contributions forum? [Re: Superku] #397509
03/19/12 20:23
03/19/12 20:23
Germany, Magdeburg
Rei_Ayanami Offline
Expert
Rei_Ayanami  Offline
Expert

Germany, Magdeburg
Of course there are people posting open source stuff, but that are like 5% vs 95% "commercial" stuff wink

And thanks, though it is stolen from some guy at twitter.

Re: Is this a commercial standoff contributions forum? [Re: Rei_Ayanami] #397519
03/19/12 23:33
03/19/12 23:33
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

We would need some free contribution having some rating systems like 1 to 10 stars to make easy people find good stuff !
I agree commercial stuff should have is own thread, because people knwo when they have reached some completition if they need commercial stuff or not to enhance the visuals of the game !

Juts my taste and idea, not a request laugh

Re: Is this a commercial standoff contributions forum? [Re: Rei_Ayanami] #397520
03/19/12 23:43
03/19/12 23:43
England
M
MrGuest Offline
Serious User
MrGuest  Offline
Serious User
M

England
Agreed, long dead and buried, we're just old family members who leaves messages for its epitaph.

I probably wouldn't have wrote this if not for Puppeteers post
Originally Posted By: Puppeteers
And if you think about it. Its not too hard to create an Editor like that. It's just work.
And making such an Editor perfectly fitting for your is often essential too and normally you do not know enough about such a framework to easily modify the parts you want to change...
with Firo's reply of
Originally Posted By: Firoball
I don't want to have to code an editor in order to be able to work with Acknex properly. Period.
While some find it fun to create editors for themselves or others to use, ask yourself why you're doing it. If one already existed to do the job, you wouldn't.

When you compare 3DGS to Unity, and look at the forums, shops how they integrate their contrubitions, resources, easy search features on forums, and that's before you even look at how much easier to is to create a game Unity. It's years ahead.

You may say but they have more people, of course they'll be better? Gamestudio was first released in 1994, 9 years before Unity was thought of, they chose to hire people to make it better, it's a company which fixes bugs, provides requested tools and it's not just a hobby project. Everything you ask for in the feature requests is already in Unity.

Unity doesn't 'invent' data-types, it doesn't require you to compile every script when you edit 1 character, it shows you which line it errors on, releases to Web, Mac, iOS.

While the Unity development license is free for iOS and Android (unless you make more than $100,000), just check it out, you'll lose no more than maybe a couple of weeks if you really hate it, but, it has languages you've probably already used, 1,000's of tutorials and a real-time debugger making it all the easier to use. Only thing it's missing is the sarcastic, unhelpful responses when requesting help from its developers. laugh

The only reason I stuck with 3DGS for so long was for the determination to actually release something with it and wish I'd abandoned ship years ago. (As always, just my thoughts)

And to keep it on topic, just get the free stuff here. Isn't that what this was for?

Re: Is this a commercial standoff contributions forum? [Re: MrGuest] #397524
03/20/12 00:03
03/20/12 00:03
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
Originally Posted By: MrGuest
Only thing it's missing is the sarcastic, unhelpful responses when requesting help from its developers. laugh

The only reason I stuck with 3DGS for so long was for the determination to actually release something with it

Agreed

Re: Is this a commercial standoff contributions forum? [Re: darkinferno] #397526
03/20/12 08:03
03/20/12 08:03
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
Someone wrote earlier that: Unity is the Borg, and yeah, it's assimilating you grin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbEi1isW3kQ
don't forget that Unity free does not give you a lot of things, and pro is very expensive, except you get it from torrent grin and there are a lot of other free engines, which needs only royalty when selling a game.

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Re: Is this a commercial standoff contributions forum? [Re: sivan] #397546
03/20/12 16:37
03/20/12 16:37
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Originally Posted By: sivan
Someone wrote earlier that: Unity is the Borg, and yeah, it's assimilating you grin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbEi1isW3kQ
don't forget that Unity free does not give you a lot of things, and pro is very expensive, except you get it from torrent grin and there are a lot of other free engines, which needs only royalty when selling a game.
Or download SDL (used by Super Meat Boy, Lugaru, Overgrowth, and a lot of other cross-platform games), GNU C++ compilers for different platforms, have a poke at this excellent SDL tutorial, and write your own engine for Windows, Mac and Linux.
Originally Posted By: MrGuest
Agreed, long dead and buried, we're just old family members who leaves messages for its epitaph.

I probably wouldn't have wrote this if not for Puppeteers post
Originally Posted By: Puppeteers
And if you think about it. Its not too hard to create an Editor like that. It's just work.
And making such an Editor perfectly fitting for your is often essential too and normally you do not know enough about such a framework to easily modify the parts you want to change...
with Firo's reply of
Originally Posted By: Firoball
I don't want to have to code an editor in order to be able to work with Acknex properly. Period.
While some find it fun to create editors for themselves or others to use, ask yourself why you're doing it. If one already existed to do the job, you wouldn't.
I agree witih Puppeteer. I don't really like arguing against Firo's point in a thread he hasn't yet participated in, but the thread he did post it in was getting off topic. A generic level editor is not suited to most games. Unless you're making another first-person shooter, chances are you'll be better off with a game-specific custom-made level editor anyway.

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  adoado, checkbutton, mk_1, Perro 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de