by jcl. 04/26/24 11:08
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 744 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) [Re: Machinery_Frank] #397351
03/18/12 01:39
03/18/12 01:39
England
M
MrGuest Offline
Serious User
MrGuest  Offline
Serious User
M

England
I've gotta ask, and answer honestly please,

After using Unity for 3-7days how many people have now said so long to 3DGS?

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) [Re: MrGuest] #397353
03/18/12 03:58
03/18/12 03:58
Australia
EvilSOB Offline
Expert
EvilSOB  Offline
Expert

Australia
Having reached day #2, Im still saying HELL NO... Acknex Forever!!

But until Ive spent the full 7 days, who knows...
But at this point Unity has yet to offer me enything attractive...

"There is no fate but what WE make." - CEO Cyberdyne Systems Corp.
A8.30.5 Commercial
Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) [Re: EvilSOB] #397379
03/18/12 16:11
03/18/12 16:11
to your left
BoH_Havoc Offline
User
BoH_Havoc  Offline
User

to your left
Quote:

I've gotta ask, and answer honestly please,

After using Unity for 3-7days how many people have now said so long to 3DGS?

Well i really like Unity and have switched.
All i'm doing with my A7 Pro at the moment is writing shaders for fun/CSiS/Shade-C.
Everything else done in Unity (And i'm not only talking about games here, see examples below).

I never really used Unityscript in Unity though, but switched to full C# almost right from the beginning as it's more organized and advanced.
The cool thing about Unity is, that you can mix Unityscript, C# and Boo in one project and access Unityscript/Boo from C# and vice versa. I don't do that though, as this, again, is very unorganized (to me at least). Also you can easily use C# libs to further extend Unity.

Actually prototyping in Unity is way faster than prototyping in Acknex (Thanks to the AWESOME all-in-one editor, MonoDevelop and the Behaviour and Prefab approach. Also, debugging is actually fun now). (edit: remember that this is my PERSONAL oppinion, as everything else!)
Support for a lot of different platforms also is a big plus for my work, as i'm experimenting with Mobile and Web Applications a lot.

Believe it or not, but my master thesis is being done in Unity, as was my bachelor thesis and other projects i did at university.

Here's some stuff i did with Unity:

Serious Game about Oil:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aubeaz0rYis

Facebook Game, Homage to the Message Flood you get from your "friends"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p1hftOTMNo
http://www.intermediales-design.de/projekte/message-madness-facebook-social-game-mit-unity3d

A popup-book, targeted for Tablet devices (video is captured on windows though)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCWEMYV8gy4

My bachelor thesis: Creating a fast and easiy production pipeline to get print media on Tablet devices, with support for video, audio, 3d visualizations and games. No programming skills needed. (You have to click on the picture with the tablet and the hand to see a short video of the final product)
http://www.intermediales-design.de/projekte/uniploy-create-once-deploy-universal

As for my master thesis: It's a "pseudo MMO", and it's coming along great. I could have never done that in A7 in the same amount of time. I was able to setup Players and NPCs in about a week, including movement prediction, basic AI and pathfinding, pseudo P2P and database backend.

Don't get me wrong though, i like Acknex for what it is and what it did for me in the past (got into university because of Acknex, also writing shaders is really fun), but by now it really seems kind of old-school and non-intuitive. Also the lack of support for additional platforms is a BIG minus for me.

All in all, you should really give Unity a whirl, especially with the current offer for free iOS and Android Licenses. And you should stay away from unityscript and get into C# right away: You will have more fun and work faster in the long term. laugh

And now start the "Unity sucks!" "You suck!" bashing laugh
Or simply keep in mind that all of the above is my PERSONAL oppinion and that i still use Acknex every now and then for shader related things wink

Last edited by BoH_Havoc; 03/18/12 16:33. Reason: i'm tired

Shade-C EVO Lite-C Shader Framework
Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) [Re: BoH_Havoc] #397380
03/18/12 16:25
03/18/12 16:25
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

there is no javascript in unity. laugh unityscript is very different from javascript (static typing, no prototypes,...).

the supported languages are:
- unityscript (which is written in boo by the author of boo)
- c#
- boo (kind of looks like statically typed python)

i wouldn't use unityscript either since c# and boo are more useful languages that can be used for other things as well.

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) [Re: ventilator] #397383
03/18/12 16:34
03/18/12 16:34
to your left
BoH_Havoc Offline
User
BoH_Havoc  Offline
User

to your left
Quote:
there is no javascript in unity. unityscript is very different from javascript (static typing, no prototypes,...).

the supported languages are:
- unityscript (which is written in boo by the author of boo)
- c#
- boo (kind of looks like statically typed python)

Sorry, my fault, i always think Unity uses real javascript as it's also called like that in the scripting reference. But you are right of course, it's not the real deal wink Fixed that in my above post.
Thanks for the hint laugh

Last edited by BoH_Havoc; 03/18/12 16:36.

Shade-C EVO Lite-C Shader Framework
Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) [Re: BoH_Havoc] #397385
03/18/12 16:38
03/18/12 16:38
Lübeck
Slin Offline
Expert
Slin  Offline
Expert

Lübeck
Originally Posted By: BoH_Havoc
And now start the "Unity sucks!" "You suck!" bashing laugh

Unity sucks and you do too because you like it laugh

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de