by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, TipmyPip), 923 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Torque 3D licensing : #383463
09/20/11 19:31
09/20/11 19:31
ratchet Offline OP
Expert
ratchet  Offline OP
Expert

Big joke !

Im' not interested on Torque 3D and have tested it, that's not 3D eye Candy scene or some sort of ocean shader that will make me change my mind laugh

What matters is robust code, robust tools, less bugs when making games !

I have posted with some people working with it , and echoes from an abandonned project due to having taken Torque 3D instead of somehting else: lack of documentation , Broken code, Weeks to achieve something due to little bugs ( i have tested deeply the new demo and well i find advanced lightening bad and buggy for sprites for example or zones lightening problems) ....

But well it's ot the matter and there are people making successfull games with it, not all people need feature A or feature B laugh

No the point i that Torque 3D will increase the price :

The New Prices(Starting October 17th)

Torque 3D $179
iTorque $149
Torque 2D $128

And actual people who paid 99$ thinking it's ok will have to pay more for transforming their license in a Studio license :

------------

Convert to Studio Now!
Effective immediately, you can convert your existing copy of T3D, iTorque or Torque 2D to a Studio License for $29, and then consolidate it under one Studio Control Panel. Click here and hit the "convert" link to do so now.

Well i htink asd , that way of doing, they should have been clear from beginning frown

What will the ydo next ? Pay 100$ until December for the new No Ryalties license caus we have changed the license right now ?
Just joking ... but well .. who know laugh ??

Last edited by ratchet; 09/20/11 19:34.
Re: Torque 3D licensing : [Re: ratchet] #383468
09/20/11 19:47
09/20/11 19:47
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
and it doesnt really scale well. i bought it just before i moved, and it wont even run more than a frame or two per second with an empty scene on my test computer. its not new or anything but it has a nvidia 6100 videocard. should at least run on some low settings, but its pretty much unusable for me, which i find absolutely rediculous. smirk

Re: Torque 3D licensing : [Re: lostclimate] #384641
10/05/11 17:03
10/05/11 17:03
England
BigDaz Offline
BigDaz  Offline

England
The introductory pricing was temporary, so it increasing is expected. The prices seem pretty reasonable. I'm not sure what your point is.

The real bad news is that the upgrade from 1.1 to 1.2 will cost money. I didn't expect that but the documentation coming with 1.2 looks excellent. T3D looks like it's heading in the right direction.

Re: Torque 3D licensing : [Re: BigDaz] #384642
10/05/11 17:27
10/05/11 17:27
Ä°stanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

Ä°stanbul, Turkey
That is pretty unaccaptable, main reason for upgrade to 1.2 would be docs and more stability, which should have been already there in 1.1.

Re: Torque 3D licensing : [Re: Quad] #384643
10/05/11 17:59
10/05/11 17:59
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
i agree, i payed money. yes $99 isnt a lot (to most people, myself excluded) but if your going to charge for software, the doc's and bug fixes shouldnt be a "purchasable upgrade"

Re: Torque 3D licensing : [Re: lostclimate] #384656
10/05/11 22:01
10/05/11 22:01
ratchet Offline OP
Expert
ratchet  Offline OP
Expert

In one part , if some people reach the commercial state,
for 99$ and some more money, perhaps the overall money invested really worth it ?

Yes for people having baught it 99$, they should not pay more.
Really they should not charge people having put their money and confidence on the engine and that allowed to Torque 3D to continue to survive !!

Or they should have been clear from beginning saying :
- Next Upgrade you will have to pay some amount !
Perhaps they have done good sales and changed strategy, thinking we have enought people now ?

They seem to have hired a good bunch of people, i am curious about how they will pay them a salary ?
I'm not sure their character packs, or vehicle pack, ro even engine update will suffice ??

Perhaps they make games behind the scene ?

Well like i said, i tested it well , i didn't like the lightening at all, and the visual annoying bugs here and here etc ... so not for me i have what i really need : A8 and some two others 3D engines laugh

I just found that marketing point , just sad, because it has been a surprise, no one knew that frown ....

Re: Torque 3D licensing : [Re: lostclimate] #385045
10/12/11 02:23
10/12/11 02:23
NV
E
Eric_Preisz Offline
Eric_Preisz  Offline
E

NV
Hey guys, I'm the CEO of GarageGames, so I'm a bit biased. Anyways, just wanted to let you guys know that we decided to include a bug fix patch for existing users http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/21294/8#comment-179813

Listen, overall, every engine has it's challenges. And we can't test every machine. But our community is great, and it's an awesome place to make friends and learn a lot about how to make games. Hope you guys take another look!

Re: Torque 3D licensing : [Re: Eric_Preisz] #385047
10/12/11 02:47
10/12/11 02:47
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
when i get my other computer i may use it, even if it isnt for game projects but more for visualizations. I have no qualms with the engine yet except i cant use it because it doesnt really scale quality-wise downward vary far frown

Re: Torque 3D licensing : [Re: lostclimate] #385791
10/23/11 21:53
10/23/11 21:53
Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Paul_L_Ming Offline
User
Paul_L_Ming  Offline
User

Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Hiya.

I've owned Torque for a few years now. One thing I can say about GG...they *do* actually squish bugs. Because of that, I've never been disappointed with any of their upgrades or point-releases. The only 'bad' thing that I can think of that made me go Aaaawwww man! Why?!?, was when T3D came out and didn't support Atlas mapping. I understand why, but still, it was a 'setback', if you will.

As for the GG community...as long as you aren't an ass, you'll fit right in. If you complain relentlessly about 'bugs', when the bugs were simply you not knowing how the engine works or some other method of operation you're doing/not doing, well, then you may get the cold shoulder.

With regards to FPS and whatnot...I've actually found T3D to handle pretty much everything I throw at it...and I'm not even focused on heavy optimization. If I was to actually take the time to create my own LOD models and design levels/missions with FPS as a forefront point, I'm positive I could increase my FPS by two, three or more times.

Currently, the BIGGEST pain in the kiester is T3D's (currently?) broken Zone/Portal stuff. It got broke a while back, but it is high on their list (obviously...it's kinda important) of things to fix, so I expect it's already done or will be done very soon.

For those of you looking to check out an engine that does outdoors-style games excelently...you really can't go wrong with Torque3D. Especially for the price.

Anyway, that's my 2¢. laugh

^_^

"We've got a blind date with destiny...and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."

-- The Shoveler

A7 Commercial (on Windows 7, 64-bit)
Re: Torque 3D licensing : [Re: Paul_L_Ming] #385795
10/23/11 23:03
10/23/11 23:03
ratchet Offline OP
Expert
ratchet  Offline OP
Expert

Perhaps, but it's mainly pointing FPS games.
I'm not it will be as easy for some Space Shooter, RPG game ???

Well the price is increased : new comer will pay 179$ and the people that baught it 99$ will have to pay 69$ to get the update frown
They could have been clear from the beginning.

But like you said, it's not very very hight price for an indie engine.

You have just to hope they don't change their mind each 3 months or each new upgrade by :
- Price increasing
- come back of Royalties license

Or any other money plan ...

I find their commercial strategy very like : "catch the fish"
-They put a very attractive price : 99$
-They planned to gain money , by just putting :
YOU PAY 69$ MORE IF YOU WANT NEXT UPGRADE frown

They should fix the price for upgrades with clear numbers fisrt to all people like :
Each Version 1.0 + or 0.5 + you'll have to pay an upgrade.

Furthermore it's just a little upgrade from 1.1 to 1.2 and you already have to pay ???

Let's see how they will do in the future ?
For 1.3 or 1.4 you'll have to pay some more 69$ perhaps ... frown

I don't need this engine, not that outstanding , very buggy, like i said i don't leike the lightening, and the little bugs here and here when you do simple things !!

I just pass !

Last edited by ratchet; 10/23/11 23:07.

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de