by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 947 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Very New to Game Design [Re: Syllvein] #380445
08/17/11 19:34
08/17/11 19:34
R
reknak Offline
reknak  Offline
R

@Syllvein, Gamestudio 3d is very powerfull, and how good a game can be made with it looks or runs depends more on the skills of the person(s) who made the game. it is possible to make to a game like Massa Effect etc.

Before you make a huge and difficult game like that, I recommend you make some more simple games first (like a doom 2 clone or something like that). Even that can be pretty difficult in the beginning.

Anyway, the AUM Magazine contains alot of usefull info, worth checking out. Also best is it to make things yourself instead of copying from a template, since some templates are outdated and you learn less ofcourse.

Good luck!

Re: Very New to Game Design [Re: reknak] #380504
08/18/11 13:04
08/18/11 13:04
Just down the road from Raven
BlueBeast Offline
Serious User
BlueBeast  Offline
Serious User

Just my 2 cents worth of opinion here...

You sound just like me about 6+ years ago.. I got started with wanting to make games AND go to the local animation program at the technical college.

I DID chose a most large and difficult project (without knowing it at first)
I was very focused and almost obsessed with making the game because it was so fun to learn all the aspects of design, modeling etc etc.

And it took me 2 1/2 years to complete....
... and I skipped school a lot to keep working on the game, and gave up the guaranteed work at either Raven Software or Human Head Studios because I didn't complete my schooling at the animation program.and

In my case it worked out OK because there was some things about a big game company that wouldn't work for my life style, though the 'prestige' of working for Raven would be just too cool.

I will just say what the teacher told us on the first day.

" You have to work hard to learn and be the best you can be if you want to work for a big game company because if you don't, there's 1000 people standing in line behind you who will and would be happy to do it for less pay and longer hours"

I'm not saying 'don't make any games while in school'.. but in a way, I sort of am saying that. If you're taking some sort of game making classes to get into the industry, your next couple of years should be focused almost entirely on that. It's a VERY tough gig to get!

Every day I want you to ask yourself "What am I doing right now to get that job at ID software... and how can I get them to want me instead of the guy next to me in class?"

Sorry to sound like 'dad' but I have been in your position tongue

Some studies you can skip classes, be not 100%, and still pass and get a job. But not with the gaming world because there's a kazillion people who want to be in it and there's a ton of people who never took classes that are great already.

I, personally, didn't like how I would have little/no control over the games being made at a big company. BUT again, If you want something bad enough, like the honor of working on big name game projects for big name companies, then it doesn't matter if you're even only modeling desk lamps and chairs, because you still have a cool job laugh

you have to decide what you want, and how bad do you want it? Then work your butt off to get it because it's only a couple years of your life to go get it.

Gamestudio Pro 6.4
Pentium 4 3.0 GHz 800MHz BUS
AtiRadeon 9800 pro 256Mb 21" Monitor
1 Gig DDR RAM
36 Gig RAPTOR SATA+ 120 Gig SATA
SB Audigy 2 w/ 450 watt Logitech Z680 5.1

www.nordicepitaph.com
Re: Very New to Game Design [Re: BlueBeast] #380505
08/18/11 13:13
08/18/11 13:13
BlueBeast Offline
Serious User
BlueBeast  Offline
Serious User

Oh, but if by 'while in school' you mean, like, high school, then make all the game projects you wish tongue

Gamestudio Pro 6.4
Pentium 4 3.0 GHz 800MHz BUS
AtiRadeon 9800 pro 256Mb 21" Monitor
1 Gig DDR RAM
36 Gig RAPTOR SATA+ 120 Gig SATA
SB Audigy 2 w/ 450 watt Logitech Z680 5.1

www.nordicepitaph.com
Re: Very New to Game Design [Re: BlueBeast] #380508
08/18/11 13:50
08/18/11 13:50
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
Just don't turn into another one of these.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de