by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (dr_panther, 7th_zorro), 1,203 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Miscolored Graphics #32794
09/05/04 12:43
09/05/04 12:43
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline OP
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline OP
User

Wisconsin
I'm having problems. When I import a custom image the colors are screwed up. I'm assuming its a problem with the pallette. How do I make sure that I'm staying within the pallette's bounds when I draw graphics? My blues appear as yellows and its really annoying me. White doesn't even work for me.

I've worked with freeware game engines that don't force you to do anything except to make sure the graphics have no more than 256 colors. Why doesn't Acknex do something like this? It would simplify things.

I don't mind, I'd just like to know how to make sure that my colors don't change when I put them into the level.

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."
Re: Miscolored Graphics [Re: Irish_Farmer] #32795
09/05/04 15:47
09/05/04 15:47
Virginia, USA
Dan Silverman Offline
Senior Expert
Dan Silverman  Offline
Senior Expert

Virginia, USA
You don't need any palette what-so-ever to work with GameStudio. The only time you would need a palette is if you were creating a game to run at 8-bit mode. As long as your game is set to 16-bit or higher then you don't need a palette.

Are you still running A5? If so, MED and WED may display in 8-bit and look aweful (depending on what driver you have set for WED) but this will not affect what the graphics look like in the running game.

Professional 2D, 3D and Real-Time 3D Content Creation:
HyperGraph Studios
Re: Miscolored Graphics [Re: Dan Silverman] #32796
09/06/04 06:57
09/06/04 06:57
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline OP
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline OP
User

Wisconsin
Hmm..I'm using A6 Commercial...I could have sworn I had it set in 16-bit mode. Hang on, I'll check...

All right, above the main function I have (sitting outside of the main function, or any function for that matter) the line var video_depth = 32; That's the highest possible setting so I don't understand what the problem would be. I put in a sprite character and its has lots of blues and greens, but when I test the game its brown and...strange.

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."
Re: Miscolored Graphics [Re: Irish_Farmer] #32797
09/06/04 08:16
09/06/04 08:16
Virginia, USA
Dan Silverman Offline
Senior Expert
Dan Silverman  Offline
Senior Expert

Virginia, USA
All I can say is you don't need a palette if you are running in either 16-bit or 32-bit mode. Have you looked at your sprite to see if that is the problem? What is the color depth of the sprite?

HyperGraph Studios
Re: Miscolored Graphics [Re: Dan Silverman] #32798
09/06/04 09:00
09/06/04 09:00
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline OP
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline OP
User

Wisconsin
Well...I'm poor so I use this program called iDraw. Its a 256 color graphic. Can't remember what type.

Ok. Its a sprite with four frames of animation. Its of type bitmap. However, when I opened it up, it appeared to be miscolored.......just not with the weird colors that gamestudio gives it. For instance, the character's hair is purple (for some ungodly reason) in iDraw, but in gamestudio its a nice tannish brown.

I then proceeded to invert the colors, and still nothing changed in gamestudio. Am I supposed to be using a different image format? Or is there some other image editing program that I should be using?

While we're talking, can you answer another question? How do I make my own textures? For instance, I want to make a sky texture that's completely black. But I don't know how to compile a wad. I could have sworn I saw a tutorial or something somewhere, but I don't remember now.

Re: Miscolored Graphics [Re: Irish_Farmer] #32799
09/06/04 09:09
09/06/04 09:09
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline OP
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline OP
User

Wisconsin
Ok...I made a test sprite with paint. The background was white (which worked. Then I made a black (transparent) block. That worked. Then I made a red square (worked), and a bright green square and a bunch of other colors. Bright green looked like some kind of red. And the rest...well I can't be sure because after green I didn't really check...but the rest seemed a little screwy too. This is extremely annoying.

Re: Miscolored Graphics [Re: Irish_Farmer] #32800
09/06/04 09:34
09/06/04 09:34
Virginia, USA
Dan Silverman Offline
Senior Expert
Dan Silverman  Offline
Senior Expert

Virginia, USA
Try creating a sprite that is not 256 colors, but is something higher like 16-bits or better. You can alwasy download GMP for Windows. It is free and will allow you to save in a format that is higher than 256 colors.

Quote:

How do I make my own textures? For instance, I want to make a sky texture that's completely black. But I don't know how to compile a wad.

You create your texture in a paint program and save it as BMP, PCX or TGA. You then open your level, open then texture manager, create a new WAD and then you can right-click in the new WAD view area (to the left) and select ADD TEXTURE (I think that is what it is called). Then you can navigate to where your texture is and select it. It will then be added to the new WAD you created. Don't forget to save it (right clicking will in the new WAD area will give you access to the button that allows you to save the new WAD after you have made any changes like adding a new texture to the WAD).

HyperGraph Studios
Re: Miscolored Graphics [Re: Dan Silverman] #32801
09/06/04 10:06
09/06/04 10:06
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline OP
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline OP
User

Wisconsin
Thanks. I'll try all of that and get back soon if it doesn't work.

I appreciate the help.

Re: Miscolored Graphics [Re: Irish_Farmer] #32802
09/06/04 10:09
09/06/04 10:09
O
Orange Brat Offline

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline

Senior Expert
O

Get it here. Install the runtime first...followed by the installer. The rest is optionally.

http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/stable.html

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: Miscolored Graphics [Re: Orange Brat] #32803
09/06/04 11:42
09/06/04 11:42
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline OP
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline OP
User

Wisconsin
I owe you guys big time. Its working perfectly now. It must have just been something with either the file type or the way iDraw and paint saved. I think I'm going to use .pcx from now on.

One last quick question. What is the difference between .pcx and other file types. I know things like jpeg and gif are much smaller sized files, but at the cost of some of the image quality. So what exactly does .pcx do?

Once again, I appreciate your time and help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de