by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (AndrewAMD, dr_panther, 2 invisible), 1,056 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
C++ or scripting for this game? #376756
07/06/11 14:18
07/06/11 14:18
South Africa
S
Snaphaan Offline OP
Snaphaan  Offline OP
S

South Africa
Hi!

I am a full-time Graphic Designer with no coding experience. I would just like to know how far the scripting in this engine will get me before I need to understand C++. I'm really motivated to get my head around the scripting aspects of the engine but the C++ is a bit intimidating (to say the least).

Just a few outlines of what I need to do:

- The game I have in mind has more a outdoor adventure feel to it than action or even real role playing. Your character has three basic stats that interact with its environment.

- I thought of making certain body parts vulnerable to certain afflictions or damage which can be fixed via special ingredients or objects.

- There is also a kind of garden that needs tending for food and nourishment. All kinds of weather effects need also be implemented randomly. I thought of using some 2D satellite map with some options for showing weather patterns and even positions of unknown moving objects. But hell, I'm getting ahead of myself here.

- Everything happens in FP due to the importance of immersion. It's not a free roaming survival game but more story driven and the puzzles and the survival of the player in this world is Dependant on certain tech and clues.

If anyone has any advice on how I should approach this I would love to hear from you. If C++ is the only option, well, then maybe I could simplify the game mechanics more.

I would appreciate any advice. The engine and support looks terrific so I really hope I'm at the right place here.

Thank you for your time!

laugh

Re: C++ or scripting for this game? [Re: Snaphaan] #376758
07/06/11 14:32
07/06/11 14:32
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
All that and more can be done in Lite-C. In my experience I've only ever needed to resort to C++ for some networking functions not offered in Lite-C (don't get me wrong -- if offers everything you need for functioning multiplayer).

It does sound like a lot to take on for your first project. Here's the deal: just about everyone's first project is too big for a beginner (often too big for a lone pro).

Keep these ideas written down for when you're more experienced, and design something simple that you can finish in a few weeks (which will turn into a few months) so that you can quickly get a "complete game" under your belt. You'll learn what it takes to make a game with sounds, menus, perhaps music, and a decent amount of polish, and it'll change the way you approach your next project (whether it's your big ambitious idea or something a little more complex than your first game). It'll give you a sense of completion. But start really simple -- you'll be surprised how complex "really simple" can get.

When you do get started on a game, figure out what the most important and basic gameplay mechanics are and build some prototypes that just test out those mechanics. Use placeholders while you focus on programming.

Jibb

Last edited by JibbSmart; 07/06/11 14:34.

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: C++ or scripting for this game? [Re: JibbSmart] #376809
07/06/11 20:31
07/06/11 20:31
South Africa
S
Snaphaan Offline OP
Snaphaan  Offline OP
S

South Africa
That is great to hear!

And thanks for the advice. I agree that the game might be a large bite to chew for a newcomer. I have a few other small ideas that I might start off with first. This project was actually just a long-term plan. No rush.

I've checked some of the resources for this engine and some of it could be really useful. A very active community is certainly a BIG plus.

Last edited by Snaphaan; 07/06/11 20:32.
Re: C++ or scripting for this game? [Re: Snaphaan] #376814
07/06/11 20:42
07/06/11 20:42
N
nomis23uk Offline
nomis23uk  Offline
N

Welcome snaphann im new to 3dgs too...

I too am working on and off a FPS project as long term goal while also learning the basics.

And that was a selling point for me too the freidnly community and not to mention the readable resources can be very helpful as a starting point.

Goodluck.

A8 Pro
Windows 7 64bit
QuadCore i7, 6 gb ram, ATI 5970
Re: C++ or scripting for this game? [Re: nomis23uk] #376960
07/08/11 02:01
07/08/11 02:01
mireazma Offline
mireazma  Offline

Newbie too here, says Hello. I'm glad to help you however I can. Scripting is largely similar to C++ so if you learn lite-c, C++ will be far easier to learn. But as Jibb said, it's not even needed.
I suggest you complete the litec tutorial, as it's the best learning material out there, clear, to the point, with a shallow learning curve wink
When you need more on a topic, go to the manual, as a reference.
There's also the WED tutorial -- do it. These 2 tutorials assure you a good grasp of 3D Game Studio.

Good luck!

ERROR in communism.cpp, line 0:
#include<god.h>
was fatally missed.

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de