by jcl. 04/26/24 11:08
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (PeroPero, 1 invisible), 854 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Is it allowed to use a C# Wrapper for the A8 Free Edition? #375581
06/26/11 17:13
06/26/11 17:13
V
V_Software Offline OP
V_Software  Offline OP
V

Hello, I just have a little Question:
Is it allowed to use a C# Wrapper for the A8 Free Edition?
I know there is already a C# Wrapper here made by a user. I'm just not sure if it is allowed for the Free Edition of A8. Some Years ago I made my own Wrapper for C# but back then I purchased the Extra Version. I've seen on the Features Page that the free Edition does not allow Plugins, so my Question is does this face only Plugins for the Engine or the Engine SDK too ( like the ones who use it to code in C++) ?

Second Question but not that important: are there any plans to become more permessive for developer of plugins? with it I mean to maybe think twice about the opensource plugin license. the price for the plugin sdk was okay some years ago, but I think it is a stopper for the Engine right now. maybe you should take money just for commercial plugins which are really sold, But as long as plugins are freeware and everyone can use it for their own, then I don't see why people should pay for the plugin sdk. I know that there is a new WED planned so I just thought this would or better could push third party developers to put more an eye on Gamestudio. But thats just my opinion, I see that a lot of people from the indie dev scene are targetting tools and extensions for game engines too especially when they can't hit a game for release. Anyway the first one is my important Question. And sorry if the words are too directly I know that alot of users here would not understand it because they really love the engine. ( partly like I do otherwise I would not on/off turn back here and read the forums,watch projects etc.) I only ask sometimes questions, to decide what to use and what not to use. basically I like this engine a lot and I know it has a lot under the hood to do really good things with it. But sometimes it misses something which third party devs would resolve if they had the liberty to do so. I don't know exactly the situation who is working on the engine, I think JCL you are the only one who is really working with the engine code right? Well respect to what you archieved alone, you made a good job and continue to make a good job. there are teams out there who made bad jobs if we compare theri works with yours. But maybe you could put good word on the others at your company to rethink the opensource thingy. there are solutions out there who are closed source but free and thats a problem if someone wants to port it to another engine if the engine forses you to release you own code as opensource or buy a license for it. that's ok as long as they want money for it, but for freeware projects?? anyway thanks in advance for answering the questions, especially the first one, the second you can even ignore it if you don't want or can't give a comment to it. it's okay then I understand it laugh

Re: Is it allowed to use a C# Wrapper for the A8 Free Edition? [Re: V_Software] #375587
06/26/11 17:56
06/26/11 17:56
Germany
chrisp1 Offline
chrisp1  Offline

Germany
I think you can not use plugins with the free version frown

---------------------------------------------------
My new project: www.sfc.de.to
My old project: www.littlesubmarine.de.to
My Youtubechannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/darkchrisp#p/a/u/0/5idMXmCDdmA
---------------------------------------------------
Re: Is it allowed to use a C# Wrapper for the A8 Free Edition? [Re: chrisp1] #375600
06/26/11 18:55
06/26/11 18:55
V
V_Software Offline OP
V_Software  Offline OP
V

that's a sad detail, but if that's theri license then we have to respect it or take the decision to abandon the engine. in my case I'm deciding if I should take a look further to it or never turn back. which is really sad because thsi engine is powerful people don't really see what is possibile with it, there is so much space.

Re: Is it allowed to use a C# Wrapper for the A8 Free Edition? [Re: V_Software] #375603
06/26/11 19:09
06/26/11 19:09
Germany, Magdeburg
Rei_Ayanami Offline
Expert
Rei_Ayanami  Offline
Expert

Germany, Magdeburg
Afaik the C# Wrapper does not count as a plugin wink

Re: Is it allowed to use a C# Wrapper for the A8 Free Edition? [Re: Rei_Ayanami] #375608
06/26/11 19:31
06/26/11 19:31
V
V_Software Offline OP
V_Software  Offline OP
V

at least this would party solve the problem for me, if the wrapper would be allowed for the free edition laugh well anyways thanks for the answers guys grin

Re: Is it allowed to use a C# Wrapper for the A8 Free Edition? [Re: V_Software] #375683
06/27/11 08:01
06/27/11 08:01
Frankfurt
jcl Offline

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
To answer the first question: Although we don't enforce this, the C# wrapper is theoretically not allowed for the free edition, as the free edition license is for lite-C only.

The second question about dropping the open source license: Once you have established a license model, you can not easily drop it, as this would be unfair to the many people who paid and are still paying for the SDK license.

Re: Is it allowed to use a C# Wrapper for the A8 Free Edition? [Re: jcl] #375743
06/27/11 17:36
06/27/11 17:36
V
V_Software Offline OP
V_Software  Offline OP
V

Well if these are manny people then I understand it of course, as long as they are willing to pay for the sdk, you have all the reasons at conitec to continue this way. Anyway thanks for answering the Questions jcl laugh
Good Luck with Everything

Moderated by  old_bill, Tobias 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de