by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 1,187 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
my iPhone game - Santa's Delivery! #349677
12/10/10 08:02
12/10/10 08:02
VPrime Offline OP
Expert
VPrime  Offline OP
Expert

Hey guys, just like to announce our new game Santa's Delivery. It has just launched and available on iTunes right now. Cost is 99 cents.

Santa's Delivery is a side scroller where you play as Santa Clause, and you shoot presents at houses that have christmas lights on. The game play is very simple yet addictive.
You swipe your finger up or down to deliver a present in that direction.

Features:
Features:
3D Graphics
2 different game modes
Simple gameplay - Difficult to master
Lots of replay value
Progressive difficulty (Game becomes harder as you play)
Leader Boards (Game Center)
Game Center implementation (*Supported devices only*)
Achievements (Game Center)
Fun addictive gameplay
Non-Violent gameplay -Fun for everyone!
Retina Display support
Multi Tasking (Fast app switching *supported devices only*)

You can check out the game at [url=www.untitledd.com]www.untitledd.com[/url], we will also have some info on our other upcoming games and apps.

Re: my iPhone game - Santa's Delivery! [Re: VPrime] #349678
12/10/10 09:08
12/10/10 09:08
VPrime Offline OP
Expert
VPrime  Offline OP
Expert

Oh! I forgot to mention is that we will be donating 10% of anything we make from this game to Orphans + Families that require assistance in Afghanistan.
Our goal is to raise at least $1000, so please spread the word and help some unfortunate people this holiday season.

Re: my iPhone game - Santa's Delivery! [Re: VPrime] #349683
12/10/10 10:08
12/10/10 10:08
The Netherlands
Helghast Offline
Expert
Helghast  Offline
Expert

The Netherlands
bought it just now, always interested to see what other people from around the boards are up to laugh

You made this using Unity I see, can you share your experience on getting it to run on iOS? i'd be interested.

regards,

Formerly known as dennis_fantasy
Portfolio - http://www.designorhea.com/
Project - http://randomchance.cherrygames.org/
Re: my iPhone game - Santa's Delivery! [Re: Helghast] #349686
12/10/10 10:38
12/10/10 10:38
VPrime Offline OP
Expert
VPrime  Offline OP
Expert

Thanks for the support laugh

As for the experiences sure!
Well we originally started off on a super tight budget.. So we didn't have unity iPhone to work with. We developed most of the game on Unity Free - Computer version.. Which looking back - terrible idea.
Once we figured our game was far enough along we purchased Unity iPhone... We just assumed porting it wouldn't be all that difficult. Just create some controls, and probably rework some of the models.. we figured the Code was simple enough to work fine.
Well that was wrong!
A lot of things just weren't working right. The FPS was wayyy low, just because of the way we were coding things.. There were also quite of few other code errors that we had to deal with.
Then came the next problem. We only had an iPhone 4 to work with at first. FINALLY after weeks we got the game running perfectly on the iPhone 4. I obvisouly wanted to test it on older hardware so we picked up a second hand 3G phone... Another surprise- the game only ran at 5 FPS!? Just like we had to do with porting from desktop to iPhone 4- we had to do again for the 3G. Lowered some of the particle effects, texture resolutions and tweaked some code. Got it to run at a steady FPS and no noticeable lag (in our testing at least!)
We reeeeeealy underestimated the porting part, and actually delayed our game by a week and half.

The second part: Building the final game and submitting to apple.
First- Apple really over complicates this part. The steps involved on creating a license on the mac, and creating a profile for the app to run on the phone.. Just unreasonably confusing.
Fortunately apple does provide lots of documentation on this, and if you follow it exactly things go fine.. But really an annoying process.

So once the game is built - you submit to apple. And wait. The waiting was the worst part. It took a week for our app to go into review. Which probably isn't too bad especially during this holiday season.
But what made it bad was emailing apple. We sent off an email asking if everyting was fine and what to expect. We got a reply (which I thought was human) that said our app is almost done being reviewed.
The wording left me confused a bit, especially since on the site it still said our app was waiting for review. So I search google and learn it is just an automated email and doesn't actually mean our app is near the end of the review process.

FINALLY a few more days go by and we hear back...... Our app was rejected.
The reason being- We mentioned in our description that we were going to donate our money to charity. Apple doesn't like this.
So we changed the description, and filed for appeal. 2 days later the app was in the store!

We learned quite a bit, specifically with time management.. Giving our selves enough time to port and fix any bugs.. But also enough time to deal with apple.

Re: my iPhone game - Santa's Delivery! [Re: VPrime] #349687
12/10/10 11:32
12/10/10 11:32
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
I don't want to say that Apples review/iTunes Connect stuff is the best, but what you describe as bad parts could have been easily avoided by just reading the guidelines and informations.
Next time you hassle with the profiles, just launch Xcode instead of Unity, it is able to do the stuff automatically for you wink

Oh and no iPad version? Shame on you!

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Re: my iPhone game - Santa's Delivery! [Re: WretchedSid] #349688
12/10/10 12:08
12/10/10 12:08
VPrime Offline OP
Expert
VPrime  Offline OP
Expert

Originally Posted By: JustSid
I don't want to say that Apples review/iTunes Connect stuff is the best, but what you describe as bad parts could have been easily avoided by just reading the guidelines and informations.
Next time you hassle with the profiles, just launch Xcode instead of Unity, it is able to do the stuff automatically for you wink

Oh and no iPad version? Shame on you!

You are probably right.. I should clear a couple things.
1)The complications with the provisioning profiles and licenses was not huge. In fact everything went smoothly. The whole thing was just a pain and a hassle to do. For a company like Apple, which I have always found to be intuitive, I expected a cleaner set up.
2)We did read the guidelines. They stated that apps gathering donations should be free and should do so by launching safari, or with sms.
Since we were not taking any donations, or collecting nay from within the app I figured we were safe.

Ipad version, well I actually sold my iPad like 5 months ago because I never used it. Since I don't have the funds right now for another the iPad version will have to wait.
There will be an update to this app to make it a universal release so it works in full res on the iPad as well.

Re: my iPhone game - Santa's Delivery! [Re: VPrime] #349703
12/10/10 14:45
12/10/10 14:45
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
Interesting experience laugh thanks for sharing. I do not own anything i-Pee, so I'm not of much use for you there grin.

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: my iPhone game - Santa's Delivery! [Re: VPrime] #349710
12/10/10 15:24
12/10/10 15:24
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
Originally Posted By: VPrime

There will be an update to this app to make it a universal release so it works in full res on the iPad as well.

Good to hear, I will sure buy it as soon as the universal update is out (sorry, but looking at 320x480 pixels on a much larger screen isn't really funny)

Re: my iPhone game - Santa's Delivery! [Re: WretchedSid] #349814
12/11/10 10:49
12/11/10 10:49
VPrime Offline OP
Expert
VPrime  Offline OP
Expert

Originally Posted By: Joozey
Interesting experience laugh thanks for sharing. I do not own anything i-Pee, so I'm not of much use for you there grin.

No worries, but please tell your friends. We are trying to raise some money for charity as well and could really use some help spreading the word.

Originally Posted By: JustSid
[quote=VPrime]
Good to hear, I will sure buy it as soon as the universal update is out (sorry, but looking at 320x480 pixels on a much larger screen isn't really funny)

Thanks laugh
Question, does the iPad play games that support iPhone 4's native res at 320x480 as well? I got rid of my iPad shortly after the iPhone 4 came out so I never got a chance to try.

Re: my iPhone game - Santa's Delivery! [Re: VPrime] #349815
12/11/10 11:07
12/11/10 11:07
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
Originally Posted By: VPrime

Question, does the iPad play games that support iPhone 4's native res at 320x480 as well?

Yes, it does. It also don't use the retina graphics as it doesn't check for the @2x suffix at the end of the graphic files (just checked it with my own project, running iOS 4.2.1)

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de