by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (degenerate_762, AndrewAMD, Ayumi), 1,321 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Connect to SQL Database? [Re: WretchedSid] #387548
11/20/11 13:09
11/20/11 13:09
DestroyTheRunner Offline
DestroyTheRunner  Offline

Actually I already understood the first part, I´ll try to be more especific for what I have doubts about.
Quote:

No App connects directly to the database but to a webserver that does the database transactions for you, the webserver does a sanity check on any input and makes sure that no app tries to do something that it shouldn't.

1 - So, what you mean with 'webserver that does the database transactions' did you mean, like a real computer with a fixed IP waiting and receiving data from the clients and doing the transacitons?

OR

2 - you meant like a PHP webpage that receives the client´s incoming request of information and then make the transaction?

ps. The database stays hosted in a webpage at those webpage service providers.

Thanks in advance in case if you post/awnser something that could help or enlight my narrow knowledge of 'webserver security' instead of negative criticism that would want make me shut my project down. laugh

Re: Connect to SQL Database? [Re: DestroyTheRunner] #387553
11/20/11 14:28
11/20/11 14:28
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
Originally Posted By: DestroyTheRunner
1 - So, what you mean with 'webserver that does the database transactions' did you mean, like a real computer with a fixed IP waiting and receiving data from the clients and doing the transacitons?

OR

2 - you meant like a PHP webpage that receives the client´s incoming request of information and then make the transaction?

Whatever you want, although its probably easier to achieve in PHP.

Originally Posted By: DestroyTheRunner
Thanks in advance in case if you post/awnser something that could help or enlight my narrow knowledge of 'webserver security' instead of negative criticism that would want make me shut my project down. laugh

If I can stop you from doing stupid things, I'm okay if it comes to the price that you stop your project wink
Webserver security is a huge topic, you have to deal with many things like authentication, authorization, malicious users and so on. The key is probably to trust no one, not even what looks like your game since virutally anyone out there can pretend to be your game. Always run sanity checks on the input that you take from 'the wire' and if you are using certificates for authentication and authorization, always check the whole certificate and the signing authorities. You should also check the revocation information, just in case someone was able to get a root CA to sign malicious certificates (like what happened to diginotar for example).
Although, if there is nothing crucial going over the wire, like passwords or other sensitive user data, you don't really need to encrypt everything. For issuing quests to your users its perfectly fine to use no authentication and encryption whatsover but just having the client connect to your webserver that in return queries the database and returns the result to the client.
In a REST environment this could look like this:
Code:
Client calls: mydomain.com/mygame/quests/

Server does: SELECT whatever FROM quests WHERE somecondition
Server sends all returned rows from the database

Client runs some sanity check on the response and then adds all new quests.

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Re: Connect to SQL Database? [Re: WretchedSid] #387557
11/20/11 15:25
11/20/11 15:25
DestroyTheRunner Offline
DestroyTheRunner  Offline

I see your point and makes a lot more sense with the example.
Since I am still wanting to make this project work I don´t like to give up easily just because of the difficulty, I´ll give a lot of thought on this and build the database, the php(which I already know how too) and the client before making the actuall game, gonna run some tests and ask some of my college friends(the ones who know more than me about the subject(security)) and make them try to breach the security or whatever.

Thanks for the reply and for the enlightment. laugh

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de