by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 900 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] [Re: darkinferno] #297441
11/07/09 15:38
11/07/09 15:38
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

@Dark_Inferno :
You wrote that :
i played it and my thoughts while playing were:
So by playing i thought game not movie , for movie you can say watching instead !

Modern Warfare 2 will be lof ot fun indeed: that's the multiplayer that will be lot lot of fun. Modern Warfare had loads of fun even in solo.

But all people wait for its the multiplayer lot more than single player , once i finished you will stick with multiplayer : thats IS A GAME WAR VERY VERY FUN !

Don't tell me that multiplayer scares you or that you have some feelings when killing all ennemies players when playing it laugh ??
The more you kill in combo the more happy you are !
The better rank you have No ?
BattlkeField Bad Company 2 , will be a VERY VERY FUN GAME WAR Indeed !
Horror games like Left For Dead 2, are fun No ? and it's a massacre game ; like war games, where you are a ONE PERSON HERO KILLING ALL ENNEMIES laugh !! Where is the reality here ?

Games remain games.
Don't tell me that you play FPS War games caus they are more serious than Fun ??

Metal Gear Solid 1 , had some pretty strong feeling sequences, one of the best games made on earth with FF7.

I want FPS War games to have Hollywood seuquences that impress me and loads of fun even with realism, if not we would not buy them.

For realistic WAR FPS gamles play Arm Assault 2 instead.
COD series are not realistic , just arcade.

Last edited by ratchet; 11/07/09 16:01.
Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] [Re: alibaba] #297442
11/07/09 15:48
11/07/09 15:48
take me down to the paradise c...
Cowabanga Offline
Expert
Cowabanga  Offline
Expert

take me down to the paradise c...
The graphics are just.... awesome.

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] [Re: ratchet] #297443
11/07/09 16:07
11/07/09 16:07
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline OP
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline OP
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
multiplayer and singleplayer are too different fields, am not talking about multiplayer and i said i did PLAY the game, not watch, because i played it doesnt mean its my copy or i even know where the hell they got it from, went to an arcade for my usual bout in halo3, someone said they had MW2, am like, how? its not released, noone said anything, oh well, saw ma friend playing it, he said, "hey dark, tell me what you think of this mission" then handed me the control...

all am stating is thats its a very emotional scene, its the same way you feel if you've watched saving private ryan or blackhawkdown, for example, the blackhawkdown game did nothing to show what the soldiers went through that day, should a game based on real/close to real events be fun? i think not...

not saying wargames shouldnt be fun but if your gonna do it, the player should feel some emotion, not just give him a gun with 999,999 ammo and let him wipe hundreds of mindless terrorists in one tv room [cod MW1]

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] [Re: darkinferno] #297500
11/07/09 21:33
11/07/09 21:33
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

I know that some games want to bring emotion, and some have done it well :
Ico, Metal Gear Solid 1 , Shadow of colossus, Final Fantasy ,Mass Effect (scene where you must choose what friend will sacrifice to save human race) etc ...

FPS war game, must do big action and scenes, it's their main job, including emotion why not ?
If they let Multiplayer to be Fun , no problem.

Totally Personnaly :
I have enough emotions on the life ( internal wars at job etc ...) , if i play an FPS i wait for lot more action than emotion , sure laugh

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] [Re: ratchet] #297513
11/07/09 22:34
11/07/09 22:34
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
Originally Posted By: ratchet

Totally Personnaly :
I have enough emotions on the life ( internal wars at job etc ...) , if i play an FPS i wait for lot more action than emotion , sure laugh

yes, that's totally personal indeed. For me, I generally wait for a story or diffrent atmoshperes than action.(mass effect, bioshock etc.)

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] [Re: ratchet] #297514
11/07/09 22:41
11/07/09 22:41
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline OP
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline OP
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
ya... so pickup a gun fps, halo, killzone, halflife, whatever, these are games that dont use real names and places so players are less likely to compare them to reality

notice all the game you listed as 'emotional' all fall under the scifi range, mass effect went under problems because of what they call a "sex scene", which pretty much makes no sense to me as it didnt show anything...

call of duty has always focused on reality and even though they arent using a real story, the takes place in close to real areas, they make use of real places and references...

"i have enough emotions on life"
well, thats good, that means you wont wanna play the campaign of a good war game, a game that shows what war can be like and just how messed up the world we live in can be, play the multiplayer

this scene isnt fun and i know they didnt make it thinking, "omg, players will love this" am sure they were saying, how can we develop an hatred between the player and this guy makarov, how can pull him off as the ultimate bad guy, how can we show players just how screwed up the "GAMES WORLD" is..

the point was never that this is a fun/enjoyable scene, it was that it did the job it was meant to do, am glad the game doesnt focus all on fun, when a player is traversing the narrow corridors of doom3. the streets of ravenholm in halflife 2 or being virtually raped by a dead 13 year old in F.E.A.R, i doubt fun is what they say, they'll say, wow, the game immersive, damn i feel like this and that..

the idea is, war isnt fun and if i ever complete Scion the way i have it scripted and documented, well it isnt to make players love the feel of war either...

now, is this scene disturbing? yes, do i think its fun? no, do i think its cool? no... what i do know, is that immersed you in a totally messed up world...

they tried to do it in the last COD, with the driving scene, those were civilians being shot, just that you saw less, this is the next level and the game says

"disturbing content warning, events in this mission can/will offend some people, do you wish to skip, you cam skip at anytime, this will not affect your unlocks or any achievements you may gain"

basically they placed the character in an interactive cutscene, noone told you to shoot, you can walk through the entire level and just look..

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] [Re: darkinferno] #297531
11/08/09 00:55
11/08/09 00:55
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

well, thats good, that means you wont wanna play the campaign of a good war game . . .

I finished COD4 solo campaign , verfy good , same thing for this one , never said i will not play the solo laugh

a game that shows what war can be like and just how messed up the world we live in can be, play the multiplayer

Just go on Youtube or other :
Look at real bad scenes or a document where you saw an army car returning to base with one of the guy killed : just lot of blood when they opened the back door ! And the team not crying but would want.
'that's reality not video game here)

Already seen emotionnal situations bad things :
- A guy cutted in two parts ( legs flying ) , cutted by a car going too fast : legs lying on road near my parents previous home.
-In parachute in army i was, two guys dead in a simple parachute exercice
-I've been attacked by crazy people !
. . . I stop here laugh

I don't really need to experience bad situations, and i already know at some point how war is horrible for soldiers and civilians.

But don't forget :
Vietnam and Second war were even lot lot more horrible than today wars showed in Modern Warfare.
There were big camps where millions of civilians people was transported by train before been burned.
And the number of soldiers that where shoot in Vietnam.

And you just find fun FPS games to play, in that periods of war.
Perhaps show you the horror of civilians killed in second war in a game , juts would make you more motivated to really kill bad ennemies finally.

In GTA4, already allow you to shoot civilians !
and you play the entire game as a bad ass killing people.

MW2 feels more realistic caus it's turned like a real documentary war where you play through war events narrated (simulated) like real ones.

Another realistic point is the dialog sound :
Without it , no immersion, Metal Gear Solid 1 , even with simple graphics, the dialogs brought characters to life indeed.
(i played a game long time ago and just remember i was really scared by screams) :
I can't imagine a game with a scene, where you would have very real loud screams of panic from a civilian :
(not Doom 3 standard screams that really sound played !)
Very well done screams by a really talented professionnal people , like it could be in real life , you would be very shocked also !

But perhaps good if that game can show to some young people that war is horrible.

Personnaly, i don't need it, i already know it at some point!

Last edited by ratchet; 11/08/09 01:16.
Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] [Re: ratchet] #297542
11/08/09 06:04
11/08/09 06:04
Australia
A
adoado Offline

User
adoado  Offline

User
A

Australia
Wow....thats ...disturbing.

They really manage to immerse the player in the whole thing....

Visit our development blog: http://yellloh.com
Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] [Re: ratchet] #297544
11/08/09 06:13
11/08/09 06:13
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline OP
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline OP
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
all am saying is that, they successfully immersed the player in the BS of what war is, all those things that you've listed are tragic and all... but how many ppl have experienced it...

alot of soldiers went to iraq thinking it'd be like a Rambo scene, also, alot of games have done, gore/blood/guts/dismemberment/mindless shooting but none of them ever immersed the player the way MW2 just did...

the game shows ppl that finally, war isnt about some hippy jumping with an AK, and if you wanna be an hippy with an AK, just click mltiplayer

when i finished that mission, all i could do was put down the control and say "f*ck"

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] [Re: darkinferno] #297575
11/08/09 14:23
11/08/09 14:23
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

@DarkInfero :
A soldier : must know that he must be prepared to die in a real war it can occur.
And War had always bad things like people civilians killed !Even on vietnam by marines that gone crazy ,and some didn't know if civilians were not going to put a trap on them.

War is horrible and have no Honor at all .

But simple people shooted by a gang member on US for some money or anything : this simple people is a human also.
Victims of plane crash , isn't it horrible also for them , when the company didn't a good check out on plane ...
etc ... etc ...
Each human is important ...

Why civilians victim war should be the only people we cry about on a game ?

There is better way to really be horrified by war :
-Strong and hard to listen videos documentary from real scenes
-Or just travel to a country in war to really feel bad.

Well , we must not forget , games goal is entertaining and evade ourselves.

And the majority of players will play Multi after playing this bad solo scene.

And some people , will really take it as a pure game scene.
Even if they have taken a beer before laugh

Ok i stop talking about this scene.
I'll juts take it as a pure game scene, and i will not need to shoot at civilians ;
or perhaps only to see if their ragdoll system works well (for me it's a simple game) laugh laugh !

Last edited by ratchet; 11/08/09 14:28.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de