by TipmyPip. 04/27/24 13:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (vicknick, 7th_zorro, 1 invisible), 890 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Comparing and Contrast #287599
09/01/09 15:05
09/01/09 15:05
Canada
I
IceTray Offline OP
IceTray  Offline OP
I

Canada
So, ideally I'm looking to get into programming, as I've been working with models for a while. I started trying to use 3DGS a while ago, I believe with A6, and got nowhere, the program just never functioned properly, things always crashed, etc.

So, I'm wondering, and I'm hoping to not get biast answeres. Is 3DGS really worth it? I mean, I understand its simple to use for a new person, but simplicity isn't really something I'm going for. From what I've been told, I can't really go for a high end design, models need to be minimal, etc.

So compare and contrast, is it worth it for me to go for 3D Game Studio, or would I be better off buying Torque and learning that?
From what I've read, Torque is also platform capable, will support high poly models, better graphics, etc.

I'd prefer some opinions on the matter though.
Thanks.

Re: Comparing and Contrast [Re: IceTray] #287823
09/02/09 16:44
09/02/09 16:44
S
SomebodyNew Offline
SomebodyNew  Offline
S

Hey there,

To answer your question I think we need to broaden the topic a little bit. So allow me to get a little off-topic.

3DGS...
3DGS is a pretty userfriendly tool to create games. Above all it comes as a complete package (a "soft" script-language, level-editor and model-editor).In terms of giving your game a unique touch it is way ahead of click-your-game-together-tools (RPG Maker for example). This comes at the prize of using a script language. As you can see for lots of people that is a hurdle the can't overcome.

The competition...
It is also true that there are way more powerful engines out there. And some of them are a lot cheaper too. You can actually buy a licence for two to three year old "huge budget" games for a couple of bucks. I think the AvP engine is 20$ (don't hurt me if I'm mistaken... but one can get them for liitle money).
A comparable product to gamestudio is as you mentioned torque. You might also want to take a look at unity.

Are these engines more powerful? I guess so.
But faaaaaaar more important is...

where am I...
More powerful = more difficult to use / more knowledge required.
RPG Maker is easier than gamestudio. Why? Because it requires less technical knowledge. You can soften the impact on the user with a good manual, a great community that helps you out, a good interface etc... but that really doesn't change the fact that using a more powerful tool requires more knowledge.

Now going back to your post:
Code:
ideally I'm looking to get into programming

I don't know how serious you are about programming (there are different levels of programming). But the fastest way of really getting into programming probably is going back to school/college.

Code:
Is 3DGS really worth it?

That depends on what you want and from where you come from.

Is making games just a hobby for you?
Do you want to generate a side income?
Are you planning on going indie?
What is your target group then?

If you are some MD sitting at EA and think about reducing costs for your next 30 mio. $ title... then 3dgs is unlikely what you are looking for.

You see... it depends.

Most people however don't require a more powerful tool than 3dgs. Seriously, a7 does offer you a lot of bang for your bucks (espacially when you use liteC or xtra and to make your first 10 or so games that is all you need and then some).

Just take a look at the showcase. That is what HAS been done with 3dgs (because when it comes to IT the limit is pretty much your knowledge of the tools you are using... so yes, everything can be done).
So before you worry about super duper graphics you might first want to come up not only with the idea of a game but also with a working script of your game (without nice graphics... but with gameplay).

I mean lets face it. Even if you are an indie. That guy that buys games like UT for its graphics laugh at RPG Maker. But they also laugh at gamestudio, unity, torque, etc... because in comparision it really is not a whole lot. Then again graphics aren't everything (if they were there would not be an indie scene).

That was a lot of text with general thoughts.

If you want to nail it down. Then go to the website's products and take a good look at the features and limitations the offer.

If you'd ask me though...
First make a complete game (a simple, small game with free-to-use graphics that is fun to play and if only for 10 minutes). Then you can go bigger. At this point you might take engine limitations into consideration.
Now don't be offended but since you did not manage to complete a game with a6 I would say it is too early to worry about the engine. And things like documentation, an active & helpfull community, the price for the complete set of tools should be waaaay! more important to you than xy-tree build, feature abc etc.
Still, gamestudio IS a powerful tool.

So long, I wish you the best with whatever tool you go with.

P.S. if the more information you give on yourself and your goals the easier it is to give a specific answer.

Last edited by SomebodyNew; 09/02/09 16:45.
Re: Comparing and Contrast [Re: SomebodyNew] #288033
09/03/09 18:17
09/03/09 18:17
Queensland - Australia
Nidhogg Offline
Serious User
Nidhogg  Offline
Serious User

Queensland - Australia
The other thing to mention here is the licence costs.
With GameStudio you get a royalty free lifetime licence that also includes free upgrades.

With other engines (Not all) You have to pay royalties after so many sales/profit margin or even yearly.
I think Torque is like this.
You may even have to pay for upgrades.
Also GameStudio is constintly being improved.
Just have a look at the Beta Version or Forecast links found top left of the page.

Quote:
I mean lets face it. Even if you are an indie. That guy that buys games like UT for its graphics laugh at RPG Maker. But they also laugh at gamestudio, unity, torque, etc... because in comparision it really is not a whole lot. Then again graphics aren't everything (if they were there would not be an indie scene).
That's what shaders are used for. GameStudio has lots of shaders available.

The other thing to mention is, You can also use plugins to customize your game with the Plugin SDK.
Or The engine SDK if you want to add more customized features to the engine there are limitations,
for users who don't own the PRO version however.

But as suggested try before you buy!
Good luck and all the best to you.

Windows XP SP3
Intel Dual Core CPU: E5200 @ 2.5GHz
4.00GB DDR3 Ram
ASUS P5G41T-M LX
PCIE x16 GeForce GTS 450 1Gb
SB Audigy 4
Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus
Re: Comparing and Contrast [Re: Nidhogg] #288052
09/03/09 20:01
09/03/09 20:01
Canada
I
IceTray Offline OP
IceTray  Offline OP
I

Canada
I appriciate the responses.

The statement "try before you buy" is something I do like, but its also something that turned me off of 3D Game Studio. I downloaded the available trial, and its apparently 7.20, and figured I'd shoot to learn something and see if it works, but the online tutorial calls for 7.7, and the very first insturction page calls for a file that doesn't even exist.

I'd love to be able to try 3D Game Studio, but its hard when I can't even find the proper assisting files. =/

Re: Comparing and Contrast [Re: IceTray] #288060
09/03/09 20:48
09/03/09 20:48
UK
ptrc1c Offline
ptrc1c  Offline

UK
At the top left of this screen go to Online Tutorial, there you can download the code to go with the tutorial and work through it

Re: Comparing and Contrast [Re: ptrc1c] #288083
09/04/09 03:53
09/04/09 03:53
Queensland - Australia
Nidhogg Offline
Serious User
Nidhogg  Offline
Serious User

Queensland - Australia
Quote:
I downloaded the available trial, and its apparently 7.20
There is a new version on the downloads page v7.80

Windows XP SP3
4.00GB DDR3 Ram
ASUS P5G41T-M LX
SB Audigy 4
Re: Comparing and Contrast [Re: ptrc1c] #288140
09/04/09 12:57
09/04/09 12:57
Canada
I
IceTray Offline OP
IceTray  Offline OP
I

Canada
Originally Posted By: ptrc1c
At the top left of this screen go to Online Tutorial, there you can download the code to go with the tutorial and work through it

Thanks, somehow I never noticed that.

Nidhogg, I downloaded the latest, but it says that its only version 7.02.4 in Help > about.

Re: Comparing and Contrast [Re: IceTray] #288173
09/04/09 15:43
09/04/09 15:43
Queensland - Australia
Nidhogg Offline
Serious User
Nidhogg  Offline
Serious User

Queensland - Australia
Maybe you need to uninstal the old version first, Then install the new.
Wierd though, it should've updated to 7.80.

SED should be 7.21
MED should be 6.907
WED should be 7.80/6.93

Windows XP SP3
4.00GB DDR3 Ram
ASUS P5G41T-M LX
SB Audigy 4

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de