Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, Ayumi, ozgur), 678 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
GROME import/export? #283865
08/10/09 13:18
08/10/09 13:18
Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Paul_L_Ming Offline OP
User
Paul_L_Ming  Offline OP
User

Hiya.

Unless the next version of A7 has a blow-my-socks-off terrain/in-game editor...I think Conitec should create a direct, fully-featured plug-in with the GROME terrain editor ( http://www.quadsoftware.com/index.php?m=section&sec=product&subsec=editor ).

GROME does list "3D Game Studio" as the next-on-the-list for import/export...so maybe this is already in the works. I just wanted to specifically voice my request/support for such a plug-in.

PS: No, I don't own GROME...but there's a good chance I will by, say, tomorrow...I need a new terrain editor ASAP, and GROME already supports one of the engines I'm contemplating using (Torque).

^_^

"We've got a blind date with destiny...and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."

-- The Shoveler

A7 Commercial (on Windows 7, 64-bit)
Re: GROME import/export? [Re: Paul_L_Ming] #283881
08/10/09 15:11
08/10/09 15:11
Frankfurt
jcl Offline

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
GROME can create Gamestudio terrains and levels AFAIK. At least they have developed a plugin for this, I don't know if it's in release yet.

Re: GROME import/export? [Re: jcl] #283965
08/10/09 22:12
08/10/09 22:12
Trier, Deutschland
Nowherebrain Offline
Serious User
Nowherebrain  Offline
Serious User

Trier, Deutschland
No disrespect Paul, but why not use blender. It is superior to any terrain editor...as far as I can tell, and I thought GROME to be the holy grail of terrain editing.

Everybody Poops.
here are some tutorials I made.
http://www.acknexturk.com/blender/
Re: GROME import/export? [Re: Nowherebrain] #284046
08/11/09 12:43
08/11/09 12:43
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Originally Posted By: Nowherebrain
No disrespect Paul, but why not use blender...

Just look at the features:
http://www.quadsoftware.com/index.php?m=.../features_video

I doubt that Blender calculates terrain with fractal algorithms or applies natural erosion for you. And then there is procudural mapping and texturing, depending on parameters like altitude, slope and more. There is a terrain LOD edit mode, you can paint layers like vegetation or water.
And you do all this in real-time.

By the way: I did not find any comment towards Gamestudio except a remark that they want to support Ogre and 3D Game Engine soon. Maybe it is a typo though.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: GROME import/export? [Re: Machinery_Frank] #284354
08/12/09 23:34
08/12/09 23:34
Paul_L_Ming Offline OP
User
Paul_L_Ming  Offline OP
User

Hiya.

I'm going to look at Blender as soon as I see 2.5 for Windows7 64-bit with a GUI/Interface that works like *I* want to and not the other way around. I think that's the main point of 2.5 (to be customizble so it can work more like just about every other 3d app out there).

As for GROME, I saw their 'to-be' plugin list too...I just wanted to remind Conitec of it I guess...and secretly hope there already was a direct plugin link dohicky for it.

Another terrain program I'm looking at is GeoControl. Although it pretty much does ONLY terrain/materials. But it's easy to use and you get great results...but it's only about $90 (after conversion) less than GROME II and you get less functionality. Still...

Bigest hang up I have over not buying GROME II right now...I have the demo, but it doesn't allow any form of exporting...so I can't tell how easy/good the exporting actually *is*.

^_^

"We've got a blind date with destiny...and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."

-- The Shoveler

Re: GROME import/export? [Re: Paul_L_Ming] #285031
08/16/09 17:58
08/16/09 17:58
Paul_L_Ming Offline OP
User
Paul_L_Ming  Offline OP
User

Hiya.

Update!

I just bought GROME II yesterday. laugh No time to play then, but I have all day today and tomorrow...and on Monday I should be receiving a beta version of their GROMEII --> A7 plugin... laugh

Right now I'm trying to get my head around how the program organizes itself for terrain manipulation (it uses a sort of "Photoshop layers" approach). You make layers for different terrain effects you want (hills, planes, mountins, etc.)..and you can blend these together. You have to do some 'pre-selecting' of layers before using most tools, and those tools will only affect the layers you wanted it to. It has some pretty sweet selection tools you can use, however, using height, layer and angle/slope to select parts in your terrain that you can then tweak. So, if you wanted to add rolling plains to a terrain filled with mountains, you could use the selection 'procedural' to have it select only the parts of the map that are under, say 100 meters. Then you apply smoothing or other heightmap generators to only that selection...giving you mountains that smoothly flow out into gentle, rolling plains.

Oh, and the terrains can be *FRICKIN HUGE* if you don't watch yourself. My first test of a 2 tile by 2 tile map (at a resolution of 256 per tile) ended up being something like 5km x 5km in size! O_O

I can't wait to figure out how to texture, paint grass, bushes, trees, etc. ,add some models, and export. laugh

^_^

-- The Shoveler

Re: GROME import/export? [Re: Paul_L_Ming] #285601
08/19/09 09:41
08/19/09 09:41
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

Grome allow to make erosion, vertical cliffs :

How will it be xported to A7 ? in a simple model format i think : not optimised, caus because it's not terrain system it won't have LOD and not as fast to render it it is very complicated, it will have millions of polygons !

Caus with terrain system of A7 (it's standard terrain not voxel), you can't have verticall cliffs or erosion like Grome.

For the grass ,and trees you draw in Grome , onec again do you really think you push export button , and have trees , and graas taken accont like multi instance on terrain of same object ?
Same for multitexture ,can you do it in Grome, and not sure A7 will detect that it must apply a terrain shader and use the textures of the folder ?

Same thing for water, not sure shaders are compatible , neither sun parameters and other things.

Can't wait to have your answer on all that laugh
But if it would work, for 200$ it would be some outstanding new way to make terrain for A7 indeed !

Re: GROME import/export? [Re: ratchet] #285878
08/21/09 00:29
08/21/09 00:29
Paul_L_Ming Offline OP
User
Paul_L_Ming  Offline OP
User

Hiya.

The plugin *is* beta right now. I can get a terrain exported that has the terrain as both a wmb and a hmp file, but only the top most texture layer is exported; eventually, the plugin will allow exportation of the texture layers for use as a multitexture shader (maybe it already does that, but I don't know multitexture from multipass as far as shaders are concerned, really).

Object information is exported, but because GROME II uses .dae (COLLADA) as it's primary object file format, you have to have these models as .md7 or .mdl files...then when the terrain is read into WED/GED, the referenced objects are automatically 'replaced' by the equivalent mdl (so, yes, when you push the export button, all the trees, grass, etc. with multi-instances on the terrain is 'exported'...as long as you have those objects as .mdl format for when you open the terrain in WED/GED).

Not sure about the water, but it's probably going to be relatively easy to implement; just a plane, really, with a shader applied to it. Sun parameters are also probably do-able; just info, no real 'model', so that makes it easier I would think.

So far, I'm still comming to grips with GROME II and how to use it to get what I want. It's a wonderful program though...beautiful results. And the company is one of the good ones (the type of guys who go that extra mile when trying to help you out with a question or concern), so I have no doubt that when the A7 plugin gets finalized, it probably will be REALLY easy to get you GROME-created, multi-textured, fully populated world out of it and into A7 with minimal effort. laugh

I'm also looking forward to seeing their plugin solution for Torque3D, Realmcrafter and C4! laugh

^_^

-- The Shoveler

Re: GROME import/export? [Re: Paul_L_Ming] #288078
09/04/09 01:25
09/04/09 01:25
Trier, Deutschland
Nowherebrain Offline
Serious User
Nowherebrain  Offline
Serious User

Trier, Deutschland
I have not been back here in a while...at the time of my previous posting I was well aware of grome features...it is not "new" software. I think it is a really nice piece of software, but if you get really deep into blender you CAN do erosion with some weight painting...there are a million tricks you can do with blender that is just not supported by other apps. I stand by my word.

Everybody Poops.
here are some tutorials I made.
http://www.acknexturk.com/blender/

Moderated by  aztec, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de