by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (dr_panther, AndrewAMD, Ayumi, TedMar), 1,033 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: first person verses third person? whats your views? [Re: darkinferno] #268784
05/31/09 04:59
05/31/09 04:59
Australia
EvilSOB Offline
Expert
EvilSOB  Offline
Expert

Australia
I agree whole-heartedly, in my opinion. But others may disagree that I actually agree.
Originally Posted By: darkinferno
... i think the player would have a greater feel if: they jumped on the tank using the simple jump scripted to the player, they melee the door open then they do WHATEVER they choose to do to accomplish the task... please give opinions on this as am sure every person has different views and might think am talkin bull laugh... all i'm saying is, let the player feel like he's affecting the game, not watching it...

I differ very slightly here. But some may say a-lot.
I say to "interpret" the user controls differently in different situations.
EG The Jump key.
When standing still, just jump on the spot.
When walking/running, jump a short to long distance.
When standing in front of a low wall, "vault" over the wall.
When standing in front of a ladder, grab the ladder and start climbing.
When standing in close below a climbable structure/rope, jump up and grab the object and hang.

To me, this adds more flexability by making some of the players behaviour a bit intuitive, and reduces the
number of control keys required, and minimises the players need to think, "which key does "this" again?"
But other people Ive spoken to, gamers not programmers, feel this is starting to feel a bit scripted.

"There is no fate but what WE make." - CEO Cyberdyne Systems Corp.
A8.30.5 Commercial
Re: first person verses third person? whats your views? [Re: EvilSOB] #268791
05/31/09 06:45
05/31/09 06:45
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline OP
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline OP
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
Originally Posted By: EvilSOB

When standing still, just jump on the spot.
When walking/running, jump a short to long distance.
When standing in front of a low wall, "vault" over the wall.
When standing in front of a ladder, grab the ladder and start climbing.
When standing in close below a climbable structure/rope, jump up and grab the object and hang.

... minimises the players need to think, "which key does "this" again?"
...feel this is starting to feel a bit scripted.

the only aspect that would make the player feel scripted there is the vaulting over the wall... climbing the ladder/rope would work perfectly with that though... say i jump at the ladder... i automatically grab hold, this is the way to do it and ALOT of games do this, is it even done any other way? a button press isnt very smart in a shooter... though it is done, i saw it in killzone 2 but i also noticed you only saw ladders where there was no combat... smile

Quote:
reduces the
number of control keys required, and minimises the players need to think, "which key does "this" again?

i love this thinking, i'd like to think i'm relatively good at shooters and one of the MAJOR reason i die is because i KNOW what weapon i want to select, yet, i cant get it, simply because i have too many and i switch to the wrong one first which results in death, this might seem rather simple but happens ALOT.. sure you might say, press the weapons number but when in combat and you have some 13 year old noob rushing you with a shotgun and youre carrying 6 weapons and KNOW you want the assaultrifle, you think about finding the key assigned to it!! chances are you'll press the wrong one alot of times, this is the reason i limited the max weapons in my game to two, so you know what you want and pickup what you need, so when in combat, one press gives you your next weapon...

again, the point of this thread is, HOW to KEEP the feel of an FPS in the view setup of a 3ps....

Re: first person verses third person? whats your views? [Re: darkinferno] #269023
06/01/09 12:07
06/01/09 12:07
Germany, Luebeck
Xarthor Offline
Expert
Xarthor  Offline
Expert

Germany, Luebeck
Originally Posted By: darkinferno
(...)
again, the point of this thread is, HOW to KEEP the feel of an FPS in the view setup of a 3ps....

IMHO: There is no way. Thats why there are FPS with all their pros and cons and there are Third-Person-Shooters with there own pros and cons.
But trying to create a 3PS that feels like a FPS ruins the 3PS in the first place, doesn't it?

Just my humble opinion.

Re: first person verses third person? whats your views? [Re: Xarthor] #269072
06/01/09 15:20
06/01/09 15:20
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline OP
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline OP
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
it doesnt actually, what i'm aiming at, which might sound rather strange is having the look of a 3ps whith the feel of a fps....

let me explain,
what makes a 3ps:
-ability to see player avatar and movements
-better world awareness
-interactions seem to affect the avatar rather than the player
JUST TO NAME A FEW

what makes an fps:
-intimate connection between player and world because he's close
-interactions affect the player
-much greater immersion

now what i'm going for is:
-having the avatar onscreen so the game is more fun to 'watch'
-give great immersion by use of innovative camera movement

its all rather tricky but every 3ps shooter out there TRIES to make their game feel like an fps...

Re: first person verses third person? whats your views? [Re: darkinferno] #269189
06/02/09 08:59
06/02/09 08:59
Watertown, New York, US
goanna Offline
goanna  Offline

Watertown, New York, US
Very nice so far. Kind of funny watching untextured models. Good job with the firing system. I must also add "I hate 3PS games", usually. The main reason is in most cases the player is able to see too much of an area behind them, not realistic. Prevents sneek attacks. You, however, have managed to keep this area to a minimum while preserving the 3PS feel. Even the aiming of weapons is better than in most 3PS games I've played. So, I think you're going in the right direction and may actually change how I feel about 3PS gaming.

Re: first person verses third person? whats your views? [Re: goanna] #269218
06/02/09 10:27
06/02/09 10:27
T
the_clown Offline
User
the_clown  Offline
User
T

To throw in a new point, the immersion of an FPS can also be reached by using PP effects; For example, Dead Space got that gory little effects on the cam (I think these are PP effects) when the player got hit; Gears of War does have that, too, when you use that sinister little saw.
What I'm trying to say is, when you loose immersion due to the natural differences between FPS and 3PS, you have to find different ways to create new!
If a door is locked, you have to open a window.

Re: first person verses third person? whats your views? [Re: the_clown] #269266
06/02/09 12:59
06/02/09 12:59
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline OP
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline OP
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
Originally Posted By: the_clown
when you loose immersion due to the natural differences between FPS and 3PS, you have to find different ways to create new!

thats exactly what i'm getting at, i think that its very possible to do this transition and am still looking forward to more ideas...

i do have some things planned and the effects on screen will be added as soon as i start working on graphics

Re: first person verses third person? whats your views? [Re: darkinferno] #269400
06/02/09 23:20
06/02/09 23:20
Damocles_ Offline
Expert
Damocles_  Offline
Expert

This whole discussion is quite pointless to discuss abstractly.
You should rather make a 3rd person prototype
and try out the different modes of aiming, shooting and moving.
and try to balance them until they are fun.

This is a typical test + tuning issue.

Re: first person verses third person? whats your views? [Re: Damocles_] #269407
06/02/09 23:48
06/02/09 23:48
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline OP
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline OP
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
Originally Posted By: Damocles_
This whole discussion is quite pointless to discuss abstractly.
You should rather make a 3rd person prototype
and try out the different modes of aiming, shooting and moving.
and try to balance them until they are fun.

This is a typical test + tuning issue.

actually, i am doing this.. but some users tend to have ideas in mind already that i wouldnt just think of by tweaking a 3ps... but as said, i'm already working on a 3ps

Re: first person verses third person? whats your views? [Re: darkinferno] #269441
06/03/09 06:09
06/03/09 06:09
G
Gumby22don Offline
Gumby22don  Offline
G

yep - i for one, really enjoy this sort of discussion. I've come up with a few ideas to prototype just reading through. Hopefully at some point I can post videos that don't look like crayon drawings from my son :P

Don
have a great day

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de