by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 1,014 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Need some advice on code contributions to the community... #265060
05/09/09 23:49
05/09/09 23:49
analysis paralysis
NITRO777 Offline OP
Expert
NITRO777  Offline OP
Expert

analysis paralysis
I have been around gstudio for a while but I have never cared about programming seriously until recently. Mostly I have in the past been more of a script kiddie/artist.

SO ANYWAY now that I am getting interested in programming I have my first code contribution ever, it is the basic Craig Reynolds steering behaviors and a flocking demo based on those behaviors. But I have some questions about it before I release it.

***#1 PLEASE bear in mind that it will be a free contribution, I am not expecting any money or other favors for it.***

Question 1: Though the code is not finished, it has basic functionality. There are many true physics formulas I would need to add and many optimizations needed before I could ever call it finished, but it in its present state it works. Should I wait until it is more perfected, or should I just release it as it is with the idea that it is free after all, and people can adapt it how they want.

Question 2: Question 2 depends on question 1. If I decide to release it as it is(finished but not perfected and optimized), should I release a very thorough documentation with it so that anyone can easily understand it? (Costing me many hours of writing)

My theory is that if I document it very very well then I will never have to support it by answering people's questions because I have written so much documentation that noone could have any questions. laugh

The problem with so much documentation is that it is a long long time to make such thorough notes, and it would be easier just to make thorough commented code.

Question 3: Is just for fun.

I hope you guys will think about giving answers which most resemble what course of action YOU would take, not trying to add any other factors in. What I mean by factors are if you need flocking and want me to hurry up, or you would never need flocking and dont care if it ever gets out. Pretend like this is just generic code without those factors and how you would do things.

Whatever you say I'm looking forward to any discussion/comments you might have.

Thanks

Release it
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 05/09/09 23:44
Document it
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 05/09/09 23:46
Give it to aknex resources
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 05/09/09 23:48
Re: Need some advice on code contributions to the community... [Re: NITRO777] #265061
05/10/09 00:37
05/10/09 00:37
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
im not sure what that even really is. Ill probably looking it up later, but some discription or a link to an article describing what it is might be usefule. good to see you getting into programming, its fun work, but less payoff in the indie area, that's the sole reason i started doing art, because people kept paying me more, and more often to do art work after I told them that i do it as a hobby and showed them my work.

Re: Need some advice on code contributions to the community... [Re: lostclimate] #265062
05/10/09 00:54
05/10/09 00:54
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
same here.. am not sure what it is either... but i'm thinking i'd have problems if i waited until it was finished... well good luck on finding tha easier route.. am ok with whichever smile

Re: Need some advice on code contributions to the community... [Re: darkinferno] #265063
05/10/09 01:12
05/10/09 01:12
Australia
EvilSOB Offline
Expert
EvilSOB  Offline
Expert

Australia
I also dont know what it is from your description, but seeing as it is real-physics
concepts, maybe add some references to wikipedia entries on those concepts.

Ive voted, but I want to add minor comments to my votes.

Release It :: Release it now. Remember the community will help find AND FIX bugs/optimisations.

Document It :: Document it fairly thoroughly. Remember it is going to evolve,
so the documentation will keep changing with it. And you'll want to clarify bits
that others dont understand.

Give to Acknex :: Once its evolution has stabalised. Or before any major evolutionary steps.
PS: Dont forget the conitec wiki too.

"There is no fate but what WE make." - CEO Cyberdyne Systems Corp.
A8.30.5 Commercial
Re: Need some advice on code contributions to the community... [Re: EvilSOB] #265162
05/10/09 20:42
05/10/09 20:42
Southern Oceans
KiwiBoy Offline
KiwiBoy  Offline

Southern Oceans
Part of the problem with releases is that there are 2 types of members in a general sense.
1. Noobies
2. Experienced.
My criteria is to dev for noobs as experienced users can and do find methods to adapt, use or discard as they see fit.
Noobs though have very few resources they can plugin and see working straight away.
I think this is the area that needs the consideration for any release.

I like the last option best smile

Use the 'manual' Luke, the manual is your friend. 'Self reminder' smile

My WebPage
Re: Need some advice on code contributions to the community... [Re: KiwiBoy] #265163
05/10/09 20:48
05/10/09 20:48
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
google "opensteer" for what his contrubition is going to be like.

Re: Need some advice on code contributions to the community... [Re: Quad] #265167
05/10/09 21:06
05/10/09 21:06
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
I wonder what difference it would make in practice. If the code's usable for both newbies and pros it will be worth releasing for the people that benefit anyways.

Personally I think a good documentation will be beneficial to everyone as it will improve accessibility to the code so to speak, but that part is really all up to you.

All that's left to say is; thanks in advance!

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Need some advice on code contributions to the community... [Re: PHeMoX] #265200
05/11/09 06:28
05/11/09 06:28
G
Gumby22don Offline
Gumby22don  Offline
G

actually, I am pretty excited to hear you've done that much - working flocking would be great - Is it 3D (birds) or 2D (persons on street) capable, or both?

As such, I'd say release now smile

Don
have a great day

Re: Need some advice on code contributions to the community... [Re: Gumby22don] #265239
05/11/09 11:51
05/11/09 11:51
analysis paralysis
NITRO777 Offline OP
Expert
NITRO777  Offline OP
Expert

analysis paralysis
OK. Thanks for the input. I will release it without optimization or advanced physics however FYI steering behaviors can be used for the base layer of any physics and/or ai engine made-from-scratch. As a matter of fact, I would like to use these functions for the basis of my own physics/ai engine. So in the future as things get more complex the calculations will have to change.

I will also plan on writing extensive documentation both in terms of commented code and an additional manual type of thing. That will help noobs a lot, but it will also help new team members to my game get up to speed quickly.

Yeah, its 2d now, useful for crowd simulations or any land-bound flocks. There will be a 3d demo also but I'm not sure if that will be in this initial release, probably not. I think that when people see the documentation they will be able to do 3d by themselves either based on my code or using their own adaptations.

Re: Need some advice on code contributions to the community... [Re: NITRO777] #265306
05/11/09 21:37
05/11/09 21:37
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Originally Posted By: NITRO777
Yeah, its 2d now, useful for crowd simulations or any land-bound flocks. There will be a 3d demo also but I'm not sure if that will be in this initial release, probably not. I think that when people see the documentation they will be able to do 3d by themselves either based on my code or using their own adaptations.

That definitely sounds interesting enough to me.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de