by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (VoroneTZ, 7th_zorro, AndrewAMD), 1,081 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 3D GameStudio vs. C4 [Re: wh1t3_w1d0w] #235658
11/09/08 04:56
11/09/08 04:56
22�21'24"N 114�07'30"E
Frederick_Lim Offline
User
Frederick_Lim  Offline
User

22�21'24"N 114�07'30"E
C4 stand for C4 Engine, try search in google.

One thing I like is how it deal with shader, from their form, the engine author said
Quote:

You should be concerned when an engine says that it does support text-based shaders, because such a feature will limit you to a single platform, and it will not provide a clean separation between lighting/fog properties and material properties. Think about it -- suppose you make a custom material shader for some kind of object in a text-based shading language like Cg or HLSL. Now, what types of light source do you want it to work with? Point lights, spot lights, infinite lights, lights with projected texture maps, lights with shadow maps? You'll need a separate version of your shader for each one of those. And what about fog? If you want your custom material to work in different fog environments, you'll need to write additional versions of your shader to handle that, multiplied by the number of light sources. With the current number of light types and fog types supported by the engine, you'd be writing 24 variants of your custom shader just to ensure that your material works correctly in all possible environments. Do you see the problem here? And then what happens if a new light type is added to a future version of the engine (and they will be)? All of a sudden, there are cases in which your custom shader doesn't work at all. Better go back and write a few more variants for every shader that you've already written.
The nice thing is that the engine still generates the final shader code on the fly and adds the appropriate lighting and fog code automatically. Because you don't use text-based code, shaders created with the shader graph editor are still future-proof -- they'll continue to work when new light types are added to the engine, or even if the underlying shading language is completely replaced. Furthermore, shaders created this way will work on the PC, Mac, and Playstation 3 without you having to lift a finger to port from one platform to another.

C4 comes with a meterial editor now, and a new "visual shader graph editor" will release this year. So you edit shader using graphical editor instead of write your own.

Re: 3D GameStudio vs. C4 [Re: wh1t3_w1d0w] #235664
11/09/08 08:59
11/09/08 08:59
Sajeth Offline
User
Sajeth  Offline
User

Teleschrott-Fan.
Re: 3D GameStudio vs. C4 [Re: Sajeth] #235742
11/09/08 19:50
11/09/08 19:50
Germany
T
tkunze Offline
tkunze  Offline
T

Germany
There is not much to add to franks review however some comments which are based on my experience with C4.

At the moment i see terrain as a weekness of the C4 engine and the mentioned voxel based terrain is something which will come in the future but it is not implemented yet.

I never became a friend of the C4 node tree where you need to minimize the items to select them but with this scale factor you're not able to read the text anymore.

So sometimes you have to be very skilled with your mouse to pick the right item ;-).

Picture: Node Tree in C4 to select a terrain

You need good programming skills (C++) to survive with the C4 engine and you have to work very clean (which is good for a professional project and a problem for fast prototyping).

In regards to support it reaches the state where i think it is acceptable especially with the Beginners Guide for C4 but the API Documentation is still a pure listing and lacks helpfull samples i got used to in the 3dgs documentation.

Personally C4 did not convinced me to move away from 3dgs because my project is an outdoor project and i am more the person who wants to see fast results.

However this might change if the voxel based terrain is available.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de